Atomiswave VGA fixes (Now with instructions! Thanks MKL!!!)

mikey

Marked Wolf
Sorry to bump an incredibly old thread - but was this ever solved? I tried using the EL1883 to separate the sync signals, but I don't get any picture when I use the horizontal sync output and get a shaky picture when I use the composite sync output for the horizontal sync. Is it possible to use the 1883 for 31khz signals, or is the EL4583 or likewise a better choice? If so, are there schematics or wiring diagrams out there for using the EL4583 to split the sync at 31khz?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've made one with an LM1881 and the customer said it worked perfectly.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Cool, so that's why my VGA-out doesn't work on my consolized Atomiswave ;) It looks pretty good in component, but I'd love to get VGA working. Thanks, Fox, and all. I'll have to give this a try.

Last edited:

mikey

Marked Wolf
I tried it with an LM1881 as well but got the same results (shaky picture). Do you wire up the 1881 the same way you would for a sync cleaner (like the image from gamesx I included here)? Or do you have to change some components? I read on another forum posting that you have to use an 820k resistor instead of 620k and then use the burst output for horizontal sync, but I didn't get any picture doing that, just like using the EL1883's horizontal sync output. Both caused my TV to show a box that says it doesn't support the resolution trying to be displayed.

lm1881.gif

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I didn't change anything. Customer said image was stable. I wouldn't play with the burst output as it will take it out of spec. Make sure you wire up vertical sync.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also make sure the refresh rate is set correctly with the 2 dips.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Also make sure the refresh rate is set correctly with the 2 dips.
Bumping this again: has a device been made to handle this without modding the AW motherboard?

Is there a plan for creating an adapter that goes between AW vga and external display?