INTERVIEWS with Shawn and GAME LORD Chad Okada - October 2009

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Having recently aqquired my first AES I am not too aware of the companys history but that article has given me a lot of info about a time that was golden for the hardcore video gamer. It's also the fact that such a thing could never happen again with the market as it is at the moment.

Fascinating read. Thanks.

Well said.

As I mused with a friend the other week, the Neo-Geo home system was the last example, bar high-end stereo stuff, of master-crafted consumer electronics. Nowadays everything is expendable, meh.

Last edited:
Great articles with some great answers... $55k for U11 and Kizuna... Damn, thats impressive. Not sure if I can scrape that cash together!!

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I just picked up this issue on ebay. Can't wait to put it on my coffee table.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
As I mused with a friend the other week, the Neo-Geo home system was the last example, bar high-end stereo stuff, of master-crafted consumer electronics. Nowadays everything is expendable, meh.

Master crafted? Don't make me laugh. The plastic is cheap shit and the controller sucks. Sure it may be better than what most consoles come with, but it certainly isn't an arcade quality controller like it's supposed to be.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Are you joking? it was 1990 for Christ's sake! That was the top of quality back then, for something that was BUNDLED with the system.

By the way its still MILES better than most of the arcade sticks you can find today on the market.

Obviously today you can self mod a sanwa HQ stick, so what? In 1990 either you had a Neogeo or you were stuck with the "genesis arcade controller:lolz:" or that other pos that SNES had.

After typing all of this i realized you are probably a troll, but i m too lazy to delete what i wrote so...there you go, good job trolling , you got me.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Not trolling at all. Whilst I completely agree with your comments about it being far better than the Sega and Nintendo arcade controllers, it still leaves a bit to be desired as far as I'm concerned. With the cost of the system as high as it was, you should have got a better controller, made with arcade quality parts.

After all, it was meant to be the system that "brought the arcade home".

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I think you expected a heavy-duty wooden controller with coke & cigar holder :lolz: :p

Seriously talking, that would have been even more expensive. Today -with the arcade saloons almost dead- you can buy a Sanwa for nothing, but in early 90's that was VERY expensive.

I remember the time I bought my AES and was impressed about the controller quality. It was a Rolls Royce compared to the sega/nintendo ones. That was cheap shit, not SNK one. Maybe the plastic was not heavy duty but the joystick feedback, the microswitch sound was astounding for that era.

It is advisable to measure things on its era/economic context.

Just an opinion.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Great interview, just started saving for Kizuna Encounter & Ultimate 11! Think i will be about 963 years old when i can afford them! Hope my hands and eyes still work!