Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: INTERVIEWS with Shawn and GAME LORD Chad Okada - October 2009

Crazed MVS Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Geddon_jt View Post
    Hi guys!
    I have received permission from the folks at RETRO GAMER magazine to post up the entire unedited interviews I did with our very own webmaster Shawn, as well as SNK Game Lord, CHAD OKADA. Thanks again to those fine fellows for giving me the time, and I hope you guys enjoy their comments!
    Will there be a video version of the interview?
    GENTLEMEN: START YOUR ENGINES!!

Daytona USA is emulated for the PC.

*NOTHING more needs to be said*

King's Dry Cleaner

Very interesting interviews.

I've liked reading the story about the Neostore, and the Euro Kizuna and U11 sold to Wolf.

Regarding the Neostore (it looks great now), perhaps it could to offer services like 100% inserts replicas as the original ones to replace damaged ones, AES releases/conversions with manuals from MVS games not released on AES, etc. .... I say this as I've read at Shawn interview:

"Furthermore, since we didn’t know for sure when or if SNK was returning, there were some very professional unofficial home cartridge productions commissioned by the NeoStore which included unreleased titles such as Strikers 1945 Plus & Ganryu. The runs were very limited in quantity but very high in quality and the initial production sold out on preorder. Fortunately, SNK reopened and we soon received fresh software releases and more official productions."

Should've asked Okada if SNK referred to the home console as the AES.

South Town Hero

sweet read

Living on the wrong
    side of the Pennines

That brought back memories....sincere thanks for posting that.

Camel Slug

Someone should write a book about Neo Geo. The history, the drama, the games. A nice thick paper back with pictures and in depth articles and interviews.

Maybe that person should be me? Has anyone talked about doing this or attempted such a feat?

Timid Neo Newbie

i would buy such a book

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoEsZ View Post
    Someone should write a book about Neo Geo. The history, the drama, the games. A nice thick paper back with pictures and in depth articles and interviews.

Maybe that person should be me? Has anyone talked about doing this or attempted such a feat?
    I've brought up similar ideas a few times here in passing.. There is interest in the idea, but it would be a monumental task for sure. I don't like the idea of just articles and interviews though, that doesn't really add up to a good book.

More interesting to me is the prospect of a King of Kong style documentary movie surrounding particular facets of the Neo Geo community (NGF?).

It's entirely possible and we have many talented (not to mention wealthy) members that could get the ball rolling on things like this, but the question is: Are they still interested enough in the Neo Geo? This site is very much alive but actual Neo Geo discussion is low.

King of Typists

The Chad Okada interview has a bit of Gainax's 'Otaku no Video' flavor to me.

This is not a negative comment, though.
    J'y gagne, dit le renard, ŕ cause de la couleur du blé...

Mais si elle l'aimait, elle n'était libre de rien.

凄いゲームを、連れて帰ろう。
    "NEO·GEO is the most important thing of unimportant things." - Fran

Innuendo?

I was excited the whole time reading that. It's really cool hearing from people who are so well connected with the OG neo info.

It's makes me wonder why kinds of neo secrets Shawn and Chad Otaka will take to the grave with them.

Zero's Tailor

If Kizuna and U11 both went for $55.000, how was the price of each calculated, K-$35.000 and U11-$20.000?

JS

*Account control passed
    on to Tony's family.

Ex Romstar & SnK Employee

Arrow

Geddon: great interview there. And yes, Chad was very much heart and soul of SNK. If you ever contact him again, throw a shout from me
    Fallen Player Remembrance: Known by all as an ex SNK and Romstar employee, Antonio "Nightmare Tony" Gonzalez was always helpful to other people, upbeat in chatting with people, and was a source of truth.

"My biggest dream in life? To build black plywood habitrails"

Choi's Barber

I don't care who I offend by saying this, anyone who is willing to spend $55,000 on two games is an absolute fucking idiot.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Or mad rich.

Collectasaurus

Thank you, thank you very much

*Account control passed
    on to Tony's family.

Ex Romstar & SnK Employee

Depends on their worth. The first legendary Pong game I can see go for that much.

heck, after I get Cybertank fixed up and to MAME 100%, might sell for 50 grand
    Fallen Player Remembrance: Known by all as an ex SNK and Romstar employee, Antonio "Nightmare Tony" Gonzalez was always helpful to other people, upbeat in chatting with people, and was a source of truth.

"My biggest dream in life? To build black plywood habitrails"

yeah he did that

Cool interviews!

So Wolf do you have the complete Neo collection now?
    NEO GEO AES serial#338685
    NEO GEO CDZ serial#24611

HATERS GONNA HATE

Collectasaurus

Quote Originally Posted by jbeedham View Post
    Cool interviews!

So Wolf do you have the complete Neo collection now?
    Nope! Still missing 4 games: Fatal Fury 2 (dogtag), Stakes Winner, Neo Turf Masters, and Super Sidekicks 3.

I've owned each one of those games before, with the exception of SSK3: The Next Glory.

Timid Neo Newbie

Having recently aqquired my first AES I am not too aware of the companys history but that article has given me a lot of info about a time that was golden for the hardcore video gamer. It's also the fact that such a thing could never happen again with the market as it is at the moment.

Fascinating read. Thanks.

Timid Neo Newbie

I would love to buy that book

Or if it was simply some kind of encyclopedia or bible for all games for the Neo-Geo. Had a picture of the front & back of the box, and be able to read the description. Maybe 3 screen shots of the game with release dates publisher that sort of thing.

It would be a great reference tool in general and great way to preserve the history of the games. Even if it was only U.S. releases it would still be cool.

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Thank you, thank you very much
    How do you not have a custom rank?
    I'm selling some MVS carts,art sets & kits, some Rare AES conversions and games, SNK Mooks, SNK AES Hardware, and about 40 Neo CDs

Check the selling forums for my name!

PRICES ADDED TO (pretty much) EVERYTHING!

Crazed MVS Addict

I remember back in the day talking to Chad on the SNK hotline in 92 (yes I bought my Neo-Geo on a $3.85/hr wage) or so. He was amazed at how good I was at Magician Lord. Very cool guy!

Then I also remember being at what I think was the first E3 after Chad was hired by SONY (95 or 96) and I remember him saying something like Sony didn't have a clue about games.
    RIP

South Town Hero

as long as its in english, there are tons of mooks and stuff out there i would love to own but no point as all in fucking japanese and i dont want to buy a book just to look at pictures :P

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Chad Okada, now that's a name I haven't heard of in a while. Brings back memories as years ago I remember writing a review or two for his gamelord.org website and to my amusement I'm still bloody listed on there as the 'international writer' Haha.

Now featuring Aussie Tunes!

Thread Information