INTERVIEWS with Shawn and GAME LORD Chad Okada - October 2009

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi guys!
I have received permission from the folks at RETRO GAMER magazine to post up the entire unedited interviews I did with our very own webmaster Shawn, as well as SNK Game Lord, CHAD OKADA. Thanks again to those fine fellows for giving me the time, and I hope you guys enjoy their comments!
Will there be a video version of the interview?

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Very interesting interviews.

I've liked reading the story about the Neostore, and the Euro Kizuna and U11 sold to Wolf.

Regarding the Neostore (it looks great now), perhaps it could to offer services like 100% inserts replicas as the original ones to replace damaged ones, AES releases/conversions with manuals from MVS games not released on AES, etc. .... I say this as I've read at Shawn interview:

"Furthermore, since we didn’t know for sure when or if SNK was returning, there were some very professional unofficial home cartridge productions commissioned by the NeoStore which included unreleased titles such as Strikers 1945 Plus & Ganryu. The runs were very limited in quantity but very high in quality and the initial production sold out on preorder. Fortunately, SNK reopened and we soon received fresh software releases and more official productions."

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Should've asked Okada if SNK referred to the home console as the AES.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
That brought back memories....sincere thanks for posting that.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Someone should write a book about Neo Geo. The history, the drama, the games. A nice thick paper back with pictures and in depth articles and interviews.

Maybe that person should be me? Has anyone talked about doing this or attempted such a feat?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Someone should write a book about Neo Geo. The history, the drama, the games. A nice thick paper back with pictures and in depth articles and interviews.

Maybe that person should be me? Has anyone talked about doing this or attempted such a feat?

I've brought up similar ideas a few times here in passing.. There is interest in the idea, but it would be a monumental task for sure. I don't like the idea of just articles and interviews though, that doesn't really add up to a good book.

More interesting to me is the prospect of a King of Kong style documentary movie surrounding particular facets of the Neo Geo community (NGF?).

It's entirely possible and we have many talented (not to mention wealthy) members that could get the ball rolling on things like this, but the question is: Are they still interested enough in the Neo Geo? This site is very much alive but actual Neo Geo discussion is low.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The Chad Okada interview has a bit of Gainax's 'Otaku no Video' flavor to me.

This is not a negative comment, though. :)

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I was excited the whole time reading that. It's really cool hearing from people who are so well connected with the OG neo info.

It's makes me wonder why kinds of neo secrets Shawn and Chad Otaka will take to the grave with them.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
If Kizuna and U11 both went for $55.000, how was the price of each calculated, K-$35.000 and U11-$20.000?

JS

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Geddon: great interview there. And yes, Chad was very much heart and soul of SNK. If you ever contact him again, throw a shout from me :)

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I don't care who I offend by saying this, anyone who is willing to spend $55,000 on two games is an absolute fucking idiot.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Depends on their worth. The first legendary Pong game I can see go for that much.

heck, after I get Cybertank fixed up and to MAME 100%, might sell for 50 grand :)

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Cool interviews!

So Wolf do you have the complete Neo collection now?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Cool interviews!

So Wolf do you have the complete Neo collection now?
Nope! Still missing 4 games: Fatal Fury 2 (dogtag), Stakes Winner, Neo Turf Masters, and Super Sidekicks 3.

I've owned each one of those games before, with the exception of SSK3: The Next Glory.

Yiggy

n00b
Having recently aqquired my first AES I am not too aware of the companys history but that article has given me a lot of info about a time that was golden for the hardcore video gamer. It's also the fact that such a thing could never happen again with the market as it is at the moment.

Fascinating read. Thanks.

Harmik

n00b

I would love to buy that book

Or if it was simply some kind of encyclopedia or bible for all games for the Neo-Geo. Had a picture of the front & back of the box, and be able to read the description. Maybe 3 screen shots of the game with release dates publisher that sort of thing.

It would be a great reference tool in general and great way to preserve the history of the games. Even if it was only U.S. releases it would still be cool.

VGUG.COM

Crazed MVS Addict
I remember back in the day talking to Chad on the SNK hotline in 92 (yes I bought my Neo-Geo on a $3.85/hr wage) or so. He was amazed at how good I was at Magician Lord. Very cool guy!

Then I also remember being at what I think was the first E3 after Chad was hired by SONY (95 or 96) and I remember him saying something like Sony didn't have a clue about games.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never

as long as its in english, there are tons of mooks and stuff out there i would love to own but no point as all in fucking japanese and i dont want to buy a book just to look at pictures :P

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Chad Okada, now that's a name I haven't heard of in a while. Brings back memories as years ago I remember writing a review or two for his gamelord.org website and to my amusement I'm still bloody listed on there as the 'international writer' Haha.