Ireland-France handball game

aria

Former Moderator
I'm sort of surprised to be the first person to bring it up on the forums...

Here's the best video I've seen on YouTube --you can see the guy guide the ball back in bounds with his hand, and all the Irish players react almost immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGB5BsJN5gI

yangen

n00b
This T.Henry is a scumbag, no fairplay at all... Sure, a lot of money and a world cup qulification are involved but still...

article-0-07474156000005DC-169_468x269.jpg

article-0-07470748000005DC-783_468x423.jpg

After the Zidane's head, Henry's hand. ^_^

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It was a pretty pathetic thing to do.

France is not a good team right now. A lot of talent, but they are mediocre. They don't deserve the world cup.

Ireland has the best goal keeper in the world, Shay Given. It's a shame he won't be able to go now.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Ireland has the best goal keeper in the world, Shay Given. It's a shame he won't be able to go now.

I really like you and your passion for this sport but...

... If those below had read your post, I'm sure they'd at least smile!

Julio César
Iker Casillas
Petr Cech
Gianluigi Buffon

and I could go on.

He's indeed a very talented GK, but he's far from being #1.

Ireland deserved to reach the PK tho. They were very superior on the Paris match.

France isn't that bad at all lately, it's just their coach that doesn't cut. Domenech had his head on the guillotine bench during the whole qualification, anything non decent in the WC for him will be a direct sack out.

That goal came really "handy" ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Julio Cesar can shampoo my crotch.

Casillas is excellent, and you know that best gk in the world can be a very fleeting and short lived title. He's not the best right now. His club has added some great CBs, and that changes how good a gk looks, of course, but it doesn't make them better.

Cech? This isn't 2006-2007.

Buffon? This isn't 2006.

Right now Given is the best in the world. For how long? I don't know.

Agreed that Domenech is the problem, and I think it can be summed up in how little he seems to care about losing or drawing matches. It's like they got Sartre as FC manager. Terrible really.

I really like you and your passion for this sport but...

... If those below had read your post, I'm sure they'd at least smile!

Julio César
Iker Casillas
Petr Cech
Gianluigi Buffon

and I could go on.

He's indeed a very talented GK, but he's far from being #1.

Ireland deserved to reach the PK tho. They were very superior on the Paris match.

France isn't that bad at all lately, it's just their coach that doesn't cut. Domenech had his head on the guillotine bench during the whole qualification, anything non decent in the WC for him will be a direct sack out.

That goal came really "handy" ;)

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
if henry had really been sorry for what he did he would have told the referee right there and then to invalidate the goal, instead of offering to replay the match after everything was set in stone already.
This is something that'll be remembered for a long time

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
if henry had really been sorry for what he did he would have told the referee right there and then to invalidate the goal, instead of offering to replay the match after everything was set in stone already.
This is something that'll be remembered for a long time

It's really shameful that Fifa haven't made the right move either.

The right move would be to count that game as a complete loss for France, and let them understand that their shitty current form and shit manager have no place in a world cup.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
if henry had really been sorry for what he did he would have told the referee right there and then to invalidate the goal...
That's true, but honestly, I can't think of many players on the international level who would have done it themselves. As much as I'd like to think that most of the guys out there are honourable, respectable, and care more about the game than their own careers (or simply, 'winning'), I don't think that it's much the case in the modern game. It's not like Henry didn't know what he did immediately as it happened, but what was he going to do?--Players on every level know that one is supposed to play until the referee blows the whistle, whether it's a misplaced tackle or a ball rolling on the end line or some rough play in the air.

I wish things would've turned-out differently, and yes, Henry didn't do the "right thing," but this falls as much on the official as him, and now, as wasabi pointed-out, it falls on FIFA's shoulders. Unfortunately, just like how we'd wrongly believe that the players are still honourable, the larger governing bodies of the world regularly show the same personalities, as well, and based on the outrage coming out of the Irish football community, they're not too surprised by the Franco-favouritism, either.

it´s no different than when an attacker fakes a foul for a penalty kick.

FIFA will never open this can of worms.

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Be sure that we (I'm french) all are very ashamed of the situation. I mean, this hand has been discuted/argued about on every channel, on every radio station. The whole country still is talking about that.

I watched the match which was pathetic as far as my team is concerned. I really wished Ireland would make it to the final cup eventually. They deserved it, fighting on every chance they get. Seriously I'm not a football fan at all but I'm so upset to see the "quality" of this crappy team going down in flames...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's really shameful that Fifa haven't made the right move either.

With Platini ruling UEFA's do you really think something would happen to them?

I bet Platini and Blatter rejoiced and celebrated with champagne.

Platini is 200% against video technologies in football, perhaps this might be a reason why he's so much opposed to it... some matches can be "arranged"...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Be sure that we (I'm french) all are very ashamed of the situation. I mean, this hand has been discuted/argued about on every channel, on every radio station. The whole country still is talking about that.

I watched the match which was pathetic as far as my team is concerned. I really wished Ireland would make it to the final cup eventually. They deserved it, fighting on every chance they get. Seriously I'm not a football fan at all but I'm so upset to see the "quality" of this crappy team going down in flames...

Apparently Sarkozy has also condemned Henry's action. Henry does not appear to have a lot of support from any side.

It's sad that one of the best strikers of all time has to live with this dishonor for the rest of his life now.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The second "hand of god", eh.

Ah well, fuck it, there's a lot of show and fakes in football anyway. Where the hell were all these damn hypocrites last time Maradona played handball? :smirk:

It's stupid to try and turn this into a political affair, though.

EDIT:

cd_horrid_henry_and_the_football_fiend.jpg

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The second "hand of god", eh.

Ah well, fuck it, there's a lot of show and fakes in football anyway. Where the hell were all these damn hypocrites last time Maradona played handball? :smirk:

It's stupid to try and turn this into a political affair, though.

EDIT:

cd_horrid_henry_and_the_football_fiend.jpg

football is more important than politics for many people.

look at the Egypt-Algeria matchup. Egypt doesn't get fair elections and the people whine. Egypt sees itself cheated out of a world cup placement, and riots break out.

Football is more important than politics.

That's why Obama fucks Michelle "Popeye", and Becks fucks Posh.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

look at the Egypt-Algeria matchup. Egypt doesn't get fair elections and the people whine. Egypt sees itself cheated out of a world cup placement, and riots break out.

Football -is- politics, courtesy of Blatter and his flunkeys who have better connections than Mafia bosses.

So far, Sarkozy is wise enough to keep his big nose out of the affair, afaik he did not directly answer the reproaches of some Irish ministers.

As it stands, there will be no rematch, France is in, Ireland is out. According to an online poll of the French newspaper Le Monde, 89% of the voters think that France doesn't deserve the WC ticket.

Oh, and:

http://www.jeu-de-main.com/

:)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm going to move on. It's obvious that this won't be fixed. It's sad though, because Ireland is crazy about football, and probably more crazy about football than France, according to that goal.com article ranking soccer fanatic countries.

I have been a fan of the french team for over a decade, since I was in France for the 98 WC. I will try not to let this blemish my appreciation for the team.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent

:lol: so true. Futbol is more important than everything not just politics.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oh god, Sepp Blatter is so dickless.

Henry should be kicked out of football altogether. He's a disgrace and should pay the consequences of being so dishonorable as to allow the ref to think he scored.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Oh god, Sepp Blatter is so dickless.

Henry should be kicked out of football altogether. He's a disgrace and should pay the consequences of being so dishonorable as to allow the ref to think he scored.

He should be kicked out, wtf! Shit like this happens all the time he's an amazing player and just fucked up on the line. The referee didn't see it, his linemen didn't see it and more than that how would it have looked if he handballed it then flagged down the referee and reported it? It would have been worse for him.

And if Henry should be barred from any FIFA sanctioned league the Italians should be as well.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
I honestly don't blame Henry, even though he is a cheating whore who robbed us of our much deserved place in the finals. He simply played the odds and won. There isn't a single player in the game today that would have admitted handling the ball if put in Henry's position.

All this travesty has done is highlight the obvious and painfully overdue need for a video referee within the game.

edit: rugby > football :vik:

Last edited:

fireplayer

n00b
Well, if they can have Video judges in Ice-Hockey - I see no apparent reasons not to have them in soccer.

But to be honest - sorry to all the Irish on here - this does in no way compare to the Maradona hand of God. - First of all looking at the replay the 1078th time Henry does NOT look aware of wrongdoing during play.

Of course he did realize it afterwards - and actually feel guilty about it - not that that helps Ireland the least... But just the thing that he admits knowing it - unlike Maradona who still claims it wasn't his hand... ;p

What should be done is to let the teams replay the match w-o audience from the point where Henry - did / not - get France that goal.

As someone else here pointed out - I'd like to see the player except Italy's Del Piero - who would actually blow the whistle on himself...

And Shay Given is hella good, but when NOT hurt even a little, whenever that might be - Gigi Buffon tops them all...Italy always has has godgiven goalies - Walter Zenga, Italia '90 anyone?

And no I'm not Italian.

I honestly don't blame Henry, even though he is a cheating whore who robbed us of our much deserved place in the finals. He simply played the odds and won. There isn't a single player in the game today that would have admitted handling the ball if put in Henry's position.

All this travesty has done is highlight the obvious and painfully overdue need for a video referee within the game.

edit: rugby > football :vik: