German national goalie Robert Enke commits suicide

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's a real shame. He had a lot of pressure in his position, and having to compete with Timo and Jens wasn't helping.

But trains? how melodramatic. I wonder if he was actually trying to kill himself, or feel alive by trying to cheat death.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
seriously though. Throwing yourself in front of a train.

What is this? Anna Karenina?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
seriously though. Throwing yourself in front of a train.

What is this? Anna Karenina?

Heh, yeah, it's a bit melodramatic but who knows what goes on in the mind of a depressive goalie.

Suicide by train is quite popular over here though, I blame it on the lack of guns.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Heh, yeah, it's a bit melodramatic but who knows what goes on in the mind of a depressive goalie.

Suicide by train is quite popular over here though, I blame it on the lack of guns.

obviously it's not an american thing.

If he did that in America, his family/estate could sue the train on his behalf, and probably get damages equal to his expected life salary.

Hence why it's not as easy to throw yourself in front of a train here.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
obviously it's not an american thing.

If he did that in America, his family/estate could sue the train on his behalf, and probably get damages equal to his expected life salary.

Hence why it's not as easy to throw yourself in front of a train here.

Wow.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd send you an order to pay for cleaning the train over here...

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I was just looking under Wikipedia deaths (happy to see John Allen Muhammad bitch on there), but then I saw Robert Enke as well and I couldn't believe it.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm still in shock with this.

Benfica representatives will be at Enke's funeral.
We will pay homage to him in our next cup match.

More than a professional player, he was a great person. He couldn't watch a starving dig on the streets. He'd take them home with him and feed them.
Like an older coach said, Robert almost had a dog pound at home when he was defending Benfica's colors.

We didn't deserve his loss.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was just reading about it, my ex-girlfriend sent me an email with the news. Pretty devastating, let's hope Germany can still get it together for the cup.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was just reading about it, my ex-girlfriend sent me an email with the news. Pretty devastating, let's hope Germany can still get it together for the cup.

Germany have a very balanced team right now and no lack of goal keepers. Enke is definitely a loss as he could have been called up, but there were better keepers to be selected.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Enke is definitely a loss as he could have been called up, but there were better keepers to be selected.

Yep. Adler is the man of the hour, he'll keep our box clean in ZA.

Watched Enke's memorial/funeral celebrations two days ago, more than 40,000 people attended it. Normally I'm not very fond of stuff like that but I have to admit that it brought a tear to my eye.