Samurai Shodown V Perfect

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'll take "11 year necro bump I never expected to happen" for 500 Alex.

Here's the amazing story of how this game is finally being released, by Necrosofty on Twitter.

Thank you for sharing this Fygee :buttrock:

That story confirms so much that was previously only thought to be just speculation.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
So, they've finally released the last game for the Neo Geo.
It's good that it has the story in English. Are there endings for every character?
I wonder if V Special and V Perfect include all the original fatalities?

Perhaps SNK would have the code for other games as well, such as Kizuna Encounter Tag Team. I think that these days there is more interest in the old Neo Geo fighting games, seeing that you can now play them online.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/ssngc/#tit7

I think it's safe to assume that the rom used for SSVS is based on the unfixed version. The standalone SSVS releases are based on the unfixed rom.

As for Kizuna Encounter - it's not lost, just the EU AES version is elusive. The Japanese AES cart is rare but can still be had for $2500-$3000, and there are plenty of authentic MVS carts in the market. There have been plenty of re-releases and ports over the years too. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I would've normally looked the other way on a neo geo collection port but... This is unique to say the least!

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
For anyone with a PC - Did you see that the Epic game store will have it FREE for a week AHEAD of all other releases of the game? Considering I'd like to try Final Edition and only want to see the museum mode, free is the best way to do it!

From wccftech:

The SAMURAI SHODOWN NEOGEO COLLECTION will be available first on Epic Games Store starting June 11th and will be completely free between June 11th and June 18th. After that, it will launch on Steam beginning June 18th and PlayStation 4/Nintendo Switch on July 28th. All platforms are listed at launching at $39.99 with physical prints for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch versions coming later this summer.

So, those holding out for a physical release will have to wait.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
For anyone with a PC - Did you see that the Epic game store will have it FREE for a week AHEAD of all other releases of the game? Considering I'd like to try Final Edition and only want to see the museum mode, free is the best way to do it!

From wccftech:

The SAMURAI SHODOWN NEOGEO COLLECTION will be available first on Epic Games Store starting June 11th and will be completely free between June 11th and June 18th. After that, it will launch on Steam beginning June 18th and PlayStation 4/Nintendo Switch on July 28th. All platforms are listed at launching at $39.99 with physical prints for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch versions coming later this summer.

So, those holding out for a physical release will have to wait.

Thanks for the info. Will try it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I would've normally looked the other way on a neo geo collection port but... This is unique to say the least!

Aren't you glad these things are released as "just" a ROM image and emulator package now?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Will this make proto owners want to cash in now? ie. Will the person holding Pinball Fantasia or Warlocks etc be getting worried that there might be a release in the pipeline therefore devaluing what they have?

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Really awesome that this game actually saw the light of day! It makes you wonder what else is hiding in those archives.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Will this make proto owners want to cash in now? ie. Will the person holding Pinball Fantasia or Warlocks etc be getting worried that there might be a release in the pipeline therefore devaluing what they have?
We can hope. I still doubt the owners of the protos will do anything other than hold onto them, but seeing as SNK is willing to release protos hopefully in the future they release all their finished protos onto the eshop or PlayStation store.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Really awesome that this game actually saw the light of day! It makes you wonder what else is hiding in those archives.

This.

Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 data?
Ninja Gaiden II? (made it to the location test phase)
etc

One can dream.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
This.

Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 data?
Ninja Gaiden II? (made it to the location test phase)
etc

One can dream.

Yeah. The follow-up question would be whether current SNK can actually finish these games that weren't totally done and not mess them up. Could be a monkey paw wish with a couple of these. Especially MotW2.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I will buy.

The story of how this was made and put on location without the company's official knowledge is bizarre.

It should be possible to extract the rom. I wonder if this is NGH-273.

It sounds like it may not have been in any kind of "archive". Takaya was just holding onto it.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member

Nah, won't happen. Samurai Shodown is a well known series that still gets media coverage today, especially because of the reboot. The timing is just right to cash in on something like Final Edition due to nostalgia and relevance in the current market. Because development on Perfect was complete and they already had a working rom, it was an easy win with extremely low financial risk.

Warlocks or any other unfinished prototype that are floating around have no relevance in the past or current market outside of the exceedingly niche Neo collector community. While a fun pipe-dream, it doesn't make economical business sense for this type of risky investment in today's market. :)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So this will be like watching “close encounters” vs “........of the third kind” ?

Still curious though since I’ve never seen it.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Nah, won't happen. Samurai Shodown is a well known series that still gets media coverage today, especially because of the reboot. The timing is just right to cash in on something like Final Edition due to nostalgia and relevance in the current market. Because development on Perfect was complete and they already had a working rom, it was an easy win with extremely low financial risk.

Warlocks or any other unfinished prototype that are floating around have no relevance in the past or current market outside of the exceedingly niche Neo collector community. While a fun pipe-dream, it doesn't make economical business sense for this type of risky investment in today's market. :)

I hear ya, but stranger things have happened these past few years:

•Samurai Shodown V Special released uncut via Code Mystics, Hamster, and the Neo Geo mini
•Star Fox 2 (different from the old dumped rom) released via snes classic
•Tetris, Darius, and Treasure’s Yu Yu Hakusho fighter getting rereleased via the genesis mini
•Shenmue 3 exists
etc

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I hear ya, but stranger things have happened these past few years:

•Samurai Shodown V Special released uncut via Code Mystics, Hamster, and the Neo Geo mini
•Star Fox 2 (different from the old dumped rom) released via snes classic
•Tetris, Darius, and Treasure’s Yu Yu Hakusho fighter getting rereleased via the genesis mini
•Shenmue 3 exists
etc

True, True. There was also the new (excellent) Ninja Warriors game last year that came out of fucking nowhere. I guess the other part of business is that often times it makes no sense. lol.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
So, they've finally released the last game for the Neo Geo.
It's good that it has the story in English. Are there endings for every character?
I wonder if V Special and V Perfect include all the fatalities?

Perhaps SNK would have the code for other games as well, such as Kizuna Encounter Tag Team. I think that these days there is more interest in the old Neo Geo fighting games, seeing that you can now play them online.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/ssngc/#tit7

Per Necrosofty, it was pure luck that they were able to recover the rom. It was stored on an old hard drive that a Yuki Enterprise employee took home, not located in any official SNK archive.

Sadly, it appears that a lot of old data for unreleased or partially developed games was lost during the Aruze buyout and transition to Playmore. The sequel to MOTW is the biggest example.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
...Sadly, it appears that a lot of old data for unreleased or partially developed games was lost during the Aruze buyout and transition to Playmore. The sequel to MOTW is the biggest example.

...but I felt free to dream, if only for a moment.
1536783375244.jpg

NexusX

Astra Superstar

Magician Lord 2?

I wonder if people will be able to tear apart the PC port files and get SSVP running on real hardware?