Samurai Shodown V Perfect

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why hasn't Samurai Shodown V Perfect been included on the Master List (or Billy Pitt's game code list)? Does anyone here know much about it? I know there is a thread discussing it. If there was a location test for it, there would probably be more than one cartridge somewhere.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Why hasn't Samurai Shodown V Perfect been included on the Master List (or Billy Pitt's game code list)? Does anyone here know much about it? I know there is a thread discussing it. If there was a location test for it, there would probably be more than one cartridge somewhere.

I think its because that asshole who made the master list hasn't updated the damn thing for 5 years...

Oh wait, that's me. Good point. Keep your eyes peeled for a total overhaul ~Xmastime. Not much is known about Samurai Shodown V Special FINAL EDITION besides a few photos from an undisclosed loke test in Japan.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Don't forget to fix the spelling of Ultra Denryuu Irairabou. That mistake has been replicated across the net for ages. Thanks for all your hard work on the list. It's the definitive.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It'd be cool if SNK Playmore, straight the hell out of nowhere, released a run of Samurai Shodown V Perfect carts for MVS and AES. :P

Like, say for the 20th anniversary of Samurai Shodown? They have to know by now that the NEO-GEO fanbase isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. :P

I want SSVS with fatalities you don't have to memhack to make work. :o The Zetsumei Ougi makes SSVS all kinds of awesome....but having to unlock it with Unibios cheats is kind of lame. ;<

Last edited:

Yao

Quiz Detective
what is known about SSV Special Final Edition? I really would like to know what SNKP changed for that game.

Yao

Quiz Detective
ah ok...I hoped it was a bigger change, like for example switching back to controls from SS3 and SS4 wich I prefer a lot.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Whats 'SSV Perfect'? , as geddon said it was 'SSVS Final' wasn't it? (remembers the pics).

SS5 / S are shitty anyway. so meh.

aria

Former Moderator

I think its because that asshole who made the master list hasn't updated the damn thing for 5 years...

Oh wait, that's me. Good point. Keep your eyes peeled for a total overhaul ~Xmastime. Not much is known about Samurai Shodown V Special FINAL EDITION besides a few photos from an undisclosed loke test in Japan.

A response in 7 minutes? Impressive!

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
Now this is how you bump a thread! Can't wait to check and see what we've been missing all this time.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Is that indeed the same game though? I believe it was called “Special Final Edition” so was ”Perfect” actually displayed in the game’s title? Or perhaps it was the English title?

Either way, depending on how the original rom data is compiled & run on that game, will it be possible to extrapolate it and assemble it onto a physical cart as we did with Ironclad back in 2009?

If so, and then, it would be amazing to see if it comes up as 0273.

Apparently “Perfect” is indeed in the name:
「サムライスピリッツ零SPECIAL完全版」
完全版 = Final or Perfect version..

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This is a big deal! Much more exciting than your average SNK news.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Here’s the photo from the location test of Zero Special Final Edition
7402334C-BAB1-449C-9FA1-C5D7BCA9038E.jpeg

Now here’s the screenshot from the video uploaded today.
F028ED73-A30F-4981-B000-E5B56F4D23C0.jpeg

Notice how the backgrounds are the same, and also the characters used, “完全版”, are the same characters they used for the location test version.
D5E9CA10-5995-4A56-8475-08A93D2E7C59.jpeg

I don’t see modern SNK creating this from scratch. I believe it’s the same game, just with some “finishing touches” for a release, since it was only ever a location test. This is totally unexpected and very large news compared to what SNK has been doing recently.

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I wonder what the chances are of Limited Run Games or somewhere going nuts with this to make some 'official' physical MVS copies.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'll take "11 year necro bump I never expected to happen" for 500 Alex.

Here's the amazing story of how this game is finally being released, by Necrosofty on Twitter.

♥it has finally been announced! Samurai Shodown V Perfect, a game that has gone unreleased for 15 years, is included in the upcoming Samurai Shodown collection from @SNKPofficial. In this thread I'll share with you how this game got saved after so long!

First, what is SSV Perfect? It's largely a rebalance of V Special, fixing issues that caused problems in tournaments, a new title screen, and other minor tweaks. The BIG change is new story for every character, a couple new mid-game scenes, and a joke that took 15 years to tell.

This game was made not too long after V Special, with a skeleton crew, but with the involvement of SSV director Takaya. Perfect was done on request from Yuki Enterprise, who was managing development, while the team was already working on SSVI. But nobody told SNK about it.

The newly formed Playmore (aka SNK) hadn't been told this game was being made. In fact, they found out when the game was in location test in one single location. SNK found out and got the game pulled from play within a couple hours!

This location test is the source of the infamous "red logo version" you see in a couple blurry photos on the net. The game was pulled from location test so fast that the director Takaya didn't even have time to get to the site to watch people play before it was pulled.

Fast forward to early 2019 & I'm interviewing Takaya for the collection alongside @adamA_0330 from SNK. We ask... do you remember this version? He says yes, and tells us the story. We ask... any chance you still have the code He looks at SNK... you're not supposed to keep stuff.

Adam says, "please, if you have anything, we want to publish it." He says he'll look. I pester him for days (lol) and eventually he comes back saying there's no code, but he has a ROM. He can confirm it's the finished version. By the way, this game was FINISHED, just unreleased.

We get the rom. We check it out. It runs. It's got the new story. It's got the new title screen, changed to Mizuki's background because Takaya likes that character a lot. It was the legendary lost game, complete and ready to go.

But that's not all! Though there was a lot of fighting to get it there, and I had a 48 hour window in which to do it, we managed to translate the story into English. The rom was Japanese only, but since the data was largely the same as Special, we were able to reuse the fonts.

So not only do you get the story, you get it in English. Apologies if it's not the most elegant translation, but again, I had 48 hours! Regardless, thanks to the efforts of the team, it's running perfectly, and it's playable online, something that never would've happened in 2005!

It's amazing to be able to find the game, preserve it, translate it, and present it to everyone intact, as intended. This is the final true Neo Geo release, in 2020 - there was an MVS cart made and everything, now lost. Thanks to Takaya, Other Ocean, and SNK for making it happen.

Sadly, the designer who wrote all the new story, after working on SSV, V Special, V Perfect, and IV, passed away in the intervening years, and never got to see V Perfect get released. His name is Touru Sakurai, and the release of this game is dedicated to his honor.

(to everyone asking about rebalances, what Takaya could remember was changed was very small, and more akin to bug fixes, so don't get too excited about that element. sorry to confuse folks!)

Oh crap, I forgot to tell you the 15 year joke! The joke was, in the new story, it's strongly hinted that Hazuki Kazama, sister to Kazuki and Sogetsu, would debut in the next game. They wrote this because fans kept asking for her to be in there, she was a real favorite.

So they put this hint, "a brother, next time I'll join you" kind of thing, to rile the fans up. Meanwhile they were already finishing VI knowing full well she was not going to be in it. So it was a big bait and switch they were going to pull, but the reveal is 15 years too late!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
"Not only do you get the story, you get it in English. Apologies if it's not the most elegant translation, but again, I had 48 hours! "

VICTOLY!!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Dude, I really really hope this can be put in a cart. Guess I'll grab the switch version either way though.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Crazy story. The thread for the location test from 15 years ago was also a trip.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So, they've finally released the last game for the Neo Geo (which would have been released in 2005).
It's good that it has the story in English. Are there endings for every character?
I wonder if V Special and V Perfect include all the fatalities?

Perhaps SNK would have the code for other games as well, such as Kizuna Encounter Tag Team. I think these days there is more interest in the old Neo Geo fighting games, seeing that you can now play them online.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/ssngc/#tit7

Last edited: