The bad battery thread

Asure

Captain Dick,
How does this go for recent batteries? I just stored my PSP and Nintendo GBA SP, but left the batteries inside, do i pull them out as well? How to store those?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How does this go for recent batteries? I just stored my PSP and Nintendo GBA SP, but left the batteries inside, do i pull them out as well? How to store those?

I'd pull them out either way if they are going into storage.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What are the odds of those modern rechargeable lithium battery packs leaking anyway? I was under the impression they are much better designed than cells from 10 to 20 years ago.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What are the odds of those modern rechargeable lithium battery packs leaking anyway? I was under the impression they are much better designed than cells from 10 to 20 years ago.

They still leaked, usually from the contacts on those in a device.

davekozy

n00b
How about all the old cartridge games with batteries? I guess those will leak and kill the games too. It looks like I have a lot of batteries to change.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not really kill the game but might eat traces causing the game not to work. And lose save data.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
They still leaked, usually from the contacts on those in a device.

Hmm, I suppose so. Well if ever my portables go into storage for whatever reason, I'll remember to remove the batteries.

... Umm, batteries don't leak if they aren't left powering something, right?

Not really kill the game but might eat traces causing the game not to work. And lose save data.

Non-rechargeable batteries leak too? Damn! I should keep an eye on all my battery-backed carts then. I don't have anywhere near the amount of batteries + holders to replace every single one.

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the info. I found this thread wicked helpful. I am going to check my new neo when it comes in.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Excellent idea. You bought a 4-slot right? Those boards seem to be notorious for death by battery. It's definitely in your best interest to remove that asshole of a battery as soon as possible! Even if you have no replacement at the moment, it's best to remove it sooner than later. Also be sure to clean the area with some form of peroxide or whatever the others use to clean up battery acid.

Gonemad

n00b
Just wondering if someone can help confirm that my battery is not eating my board and is OK. Should I remove it anyway and replace it even if it looks OK?

RileyB_09

RileyB_09

RileyB_09

Last edited:

da66en

Zero's Secretary
So, anyone have a good part number for a replacement battery on Digi-Key?

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Reminder Bump

But also - I have just saved a PGM Mobo from a leaky battery, and the boards run fine without the battery.

I am now tempted to remove the batteries from about 10-15 MVS Mobos I have - More than one of everything except a 6-slot.

However, I don't really want to bother soldering in new batteries

So can anyone tell me - are there any boards which do not function without a battery. Hi Scores etc are not an issue for me.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
hiya guys, i just want to thank Channel Maniac and everyone here for pointing out the bad battery situation, tonight i ripped that beast off and soldered in a coin holder and it looks like im all good to go, let me know if it looks like i did anything wrong (also removed the 470 resistor as well) and thanks again :D
d4ad617c.jpg

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Reminder Bump

But also - I have just saved a PGM Mobo from a leaky battery, and the boards run fine without the battery.

I am now tempted to remove the batteries from about 10-15 MVS Mobos I have - More than one of everything except a 6-slot.

However, I don't really want to bother soldering in new batteries

So can anyone tell me - are there any boards which do not function without a battery. Hi Scores etc are not an issue for me.

Anyone wanna comment on this? Would be appreciated...

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are some Cave boards that will suicide if you pull the battery. Same thing with CPS1, CPS2, and CPS3.

Research before you pull batteries.

MVS: You'll lose high score saves and soft dip saves. This may affect the way you want to play a game. It's easy to do a coin cell mod on most MVS boards.

RJ

BenTAxeL

n00b
Great info, I just purchased a 4 slot that is stuck on the cross of death screen. The boards are really dirty but after reading this I decided to check the battery.
Looked ok from the top but after reading the tread and discovering all its needed for is high scores I decided to remove it any way
DSC00186.jpg

After removal found the back had started to corrode so good thing :)
DSC00188.jpg

Fingers crossed that a good clean will get the board going again

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
I dread to think how many Neo Geos are sitting out there, slowly corroding away from leaky batteries. It doesn't bear thinking about.

thanatos

n00b
Cut the old battery out months ago, finally got around to upgrading. I also hadn't soldered anything in years, I managed not to break anything.
I was surprised that Radio Shack had a CR2032 holder that lined up perfectly. (MVS2f) It's been so long that Radio Shack has been useful!

2sltw.jpg

Last edited:

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
can i just cut the wires with a wire cutter?

Yes, you can.

Hi,
I have a MV1A, a MV1B and a MV4FT. Since I have no experience with soldering, I would at least remove the battery without doing damage.
Can I just cut in some way links (as in QUOTES above) and remove all the battery block, or there is more?
Thanks for the support

Last edited:

mohawk33

n00b
Hello neo geo comunity,

today i got my mvs 1F board! Its my first one :-)
Now after reading this thread i am a little bit scared. I found some cristaline stuff on the battery. Do u guys think the board is allready damaged? or is it not so bad? I dont have a MAK/Supergun at the moment so i cant test.

Would you remove the battery immediately or should i wait till i can test the board (maybe the battery is still allright)....

Unfortunatelly i dont know how to attach images ...

appreciate your help!

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
so do you mean the soldering legs on the upper side of board?
Yep.

Remove the battery now, it is not needed for the operation of the board anyway. Only used to save settings.

mohawk33

n00b
Allright! thanks for your help. I ve removed the battery. Now ist there a posibility that i now have an "back-up ram error"? Read something about this problem....

Thanks ! great community here ;-)