The bad battery thread

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
My MV-1AX has a spot welded coin cell battery, mounted horizontally. What are the chances of it leaking? Thing is it is working perfectly right now and I fear this factory-looking battery will leak even if it's lithium-based. Should I buy a battery replacement mod from JNX and replace it anyway?

As stated all over this thread, you should ALWAYS replace that factory battery. What do you value more, a factory-looking battery or a fully working board without corrosion and damage?
If you care about the looking, you can locate the battery holder on the lower face of the board.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Hmm, I see your point. Yes, a $3 battery mod sure beats paying $60+ for a replacement MVS board. I think I will also attach long wires to the battery so it can stay far away from the main board. :)

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Sure. If you're going to do the wire thing (don't forget the diode), be sure to isolate the wires/battery/poles. It could make a disaster if some possitive (+) touch everywhere (-) on the board.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Diode? What for? Do you mean to remove it? My MV-1AX uses a coin cell, so I'd just do a straight across replacement.

Also, of course I'd use insolated wire and some electrical tape on any bare connections, what kind of fool do you take me for?

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Take it easy. I don't know your electronic skills, just told that for help you in case you were a noob.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah, just read it was a cap. If it's a battery rated at 5.5v then ya it would be bad since you can fry stuff when you go above 5.2v.

Not sure how a supercap would work as a backup battery.

neo-mvs-man

New Challenger
Ah, just read it was a cap. If it's a battery rated at 5.5v then ya it would be bad since you can fry stuff when you go above 5.2v.

Not sure how a supercap would work as a backup battery.

I am, they hold your neo geo memory for up to 3 months on a full charge!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am, they hold your neo geo memory for up to 3 months on a full charge!!

Ya, 3 months on a full charge. The MVS charging circuit is almost in a trickle state when on. To fully charge the stock 50mAh battery you need to leave your Neo on for 4-5 hours.

Why not just mod it with a coin cell non-rechargeable? Most CR2032 batteries can hold from 175-235mAh, they die after around 4-5 years.

neo-mvs-man

New Challenger
Ya, 3 months on a full charge. The MVS charging circuit is almost in a trickle state when on. To fully charge the stock 50mAh battery you need to leave your Neo on for 4-5 hours.

Why not just mod it with a coin cell non-rechargeable? Most CR2032 batteries can hold from 175-235mAh, they die after around 4-5 years.

Bacause it's a dry top cap you NEVER have to worry about leakage again (do it right, do it once), if i'm going to solder my board one of these is definately going in, 4-5 hours isn't that long to leave your cab on, mine has been going for longer than that today!

Anyway i was just letting you guys know that this is an option if you want to fully move away from acid based batteries.
:buttrock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you're worried about a new battery leaking just reverse mount it under the board so if it leaks it goes to the baseboard and not the mobo.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Those things are all over the place, search for "supercap coin".

Mike26

McWow,
mv2f backup board i bought a few months ago had the battery clipped by its prior owner, so i just got around to installing a coin battery holder and cr2032.

Dont forget to clip the lead off one of the legs of 470, i almost did until i took one last look before closing it up!!!

pic:
IMG_20110430_142013.jpg

thanatos

n00b
Bought my cab just over a year ago, and have been lazy about the battery. Finally took it out, looks like it was just in time.

IMG_3051.JPG

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Just got an MV-1A and want to pull the battery. I don't know which resistor to remove, everything's surface mount.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Here's a pic from earlier in the thread, mine's exactly the same. I'm thinking it's R10 since it's the only resistor actually near the battery. The others are near the crystal and ICs.

MV1A_Bottom.jpg

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
The layout's actually identical to the 1FZ picture on JNX, looks like I'd need to remove D1, D2, and R10 sound right?

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Yeah i actually took the risk and yanked those parts before you had responded. Everything's fine.