The bad battery thread

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
Question: I visited RadioSuck last night to pick up a 3.6v NiMH 80mah battery to replace the one on my 4-slot MB... of course RadioSuck didn't carry any PCB component type batteries in store... only available online. I sucked it up and bought a cordless phone battery... 3.6v NiMH 300mah I think it is.... I hacked that bad boy on to the MB and it appears to be working fine... is there any negatives to this setup other than it not being "stock"?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only thing I can think of is that it is 3 x bigger in capacity than the stock so it will take longer to get it fully charged.

raylyd

n00b
So many boards broken i have done many sega systems like this but i always change the batterys even before it leaked.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Wonderful thread. Before and after of the board from my cab. Yanked the coin cell battery off an old Pentium 3 mobo I had lying around and not a moment too soon.

neobat.jpg

Anselm

Camel Slug
Only thing I can think of is that it is 3 x bigger in capacity than the stock so it will take longer to get it fully charged.

But from what I understand, the benefit is a much longer down time without losing the charge.

~Anselm~

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
The battery on my PGM mobo was leaking so I removed it. I'm pretty new to all this stuff so without this thread, I'd have had a dead board in time for sure due to ignorance. Thanks for all the great info guys. Anyways, I see that when you are going to replace a neo mobo's battery you need to remove that 470 resistor. Does anyone have a pic or a link to a tutorial that shows what kind of modifications need to be made to a PGM mobo before putting in the new coin cell battery?

bwi

20 Year Member
ok replacing the battery on my 2 1-slots now i think i read through these pages that you have to remove the resistor marked 470 (im using coin holder with non rechareable battery) which is next to the battery on my MV-1FT but on my 1FZ its a 470 capacitor next to the board.

Just making sure before i do something i regret

bri

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not all the charging circuits are the same. On the FZ you need to remove a few parts from the underside of the board.

bwi

20 Year Member
so on the 1FT i'm good with the 470 resistor and is there a diagram for the FZ somewhere?

Bri

andrew96

n00b
Wonderful thread. Before and after of the board from my cab. Yanked the coin cell battery off an old Pentium 3 mobo I had lying around and not a moment too soon.

neobat.jpg

em..... thats a lithium battery not a ni-cad or ni-mh battery, i hope you stopped the board trying to recharge it or it wont last very long and explode!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
It seems he removed the 470 Ohm resistor from the recharge circuit.
That way you can use the non-rechargeable battery fine (which is btw the best option if you don't use daily the board).

andrew96

n00b
It seems he removed the 470 Ohm resistor from the recharge circuit.
That way you can use the non-rechargeable battery fine (which is btw the best option if you don't use daily the board).

sorry i couldent see the 470 ohm resistor in either picture, but now i can see the space where it was!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Remembered I already asked the same thing earlier, in relation to operation without battery. Apologies.

Last edited:

andrew96

n00b
hi

looking for a battery here in the UK i found the Maplin one (BN22Y) had 2 pins on one side. now i know thats not a problem apart from it not looking so good on the board!, so i went in search of a 2 pin one, i found one at mds battery and at a resonable price with free delivery in the UK. So in case anyone else is interested here is the link to the battery

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=820

I have no connection with the site and if i have done wrong by posting a website then let me know and i will delete the link, but i thought it good to let others know of a cheap battery source in the UK

cheers
Andrew

andrew96

n00b
in addition to the above post, no minimum order too! so you can just order the 1 battery and not have to buy 10!

mekishiko

n00b
Scoured the forums/Webs for hours, can not find info on battery replacement for a MVS MV1A board.

I want to replace with a Non-Rechargeable LithiumIon 3v Button cell, but i dont want to burn my house down. Unfortunately this motherboard doesn't seem to have ANY resistors on it.

Arcade%20Games

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Scoured the forums/Webs for hours, can not find info on battery replacement for a MVS MV1A board.

I want to replace with a Non-Rechargeable LithiumIon 3v Button cell, but i dont want to burn my house down. Unfortunately this motherboard doesn't seem to have ANY resistors on it.

Arcade%20Games

I tried to find a MV1A in my collection, but no luck. Can you post a sharp picture of the bottom of the board in the battery area? Please, first discharge your own static to any good grounding in your house and remove that foam crap that SNK used to put in the battery area.

mekishiko

n00b
I tried to find a MV1A in my collection, but no luck. Can you post a sharp picture of the bottom of the board in the battery area? Please, first discharge your own static to any good grounding in your house and remove that foam crap that SNK used to put in the battery area.

How to Disable the charging circuit on MV1A and MV1B? Here are the higher Res pictures. Thanks!

MV1A
MV1A_Top.jpg

MV1A_Bottom.jpg

MV1B
MV1B_Top.jpg

MV1B_Bottom.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Just put a schottky diode in series with the positive terminal of the battery so that current can leave the battery, but it can't enter it.

I just got my first mvs board, a mv-1f and decided to check the battery. It had early signs of leaking, those dust type things shown in the first pics. So I removed the stock battery and put in a coin battery holder for a cr 2032 3v lithium battery. I have already removed the 470 ohm resistor.

My question is, near the solder point for the positive terminal on the stock battery, there is another solder point close to it, which appears to connect to the recharging circuit, or where the 470 ohm resistor used to be anyway.

Should the positive point on the coin slot battery holder and this other point be connected? I thought they were when I took the stock battery out, but figured I would ask before powering the board up.

Points in question are in red here.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc208/ahkemz/HPIM0720.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They're both connected, you can solder to either one.

Gabrius

New Challenger

neobat.jpg

^ my battery looks kinda like the left picture.... there are some green bits in the same spot on my 2-slot's battery. Not quite as much, but there's some there.

Here's the thing - I have absolutely no experience soldering, and do not want my 1st attempt to be on my mvs-2.... how long do I have until this is going to be a problem? I cleaned off most of the green stuff with a bit of rubbing alcohol, but I know I didn't get it all...

:help:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I dont know what guys here have to say, but I've seen "sealed" batteries like that spilling corroding liquid in few weeks. It depends on many factors (eg. ambient temperature and battery materials).

If you have no experience soldering, better search for someone that can do the job. The damage can be terrible, so do it asap.
And never forget to place a diode the way Hewitson told before!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you don't know how to solder it and it's getting bad you can always snip the 2 legs to at least remove the battery.

Gabrius

New Challenger
If you don't know how to solder it and it's getting bad you can always snip the 2 legs to at least remove the battery.

I may do that at first.... I really need to acquire this skill though. Thinking about hitting my local Microcenter at lunch to get some starter materials/tools.

Any advice on what I should be buying?