The bad battery thread

TempestPSO

n00b
So I just bought a MVS 2 slot and am not very technologically skilled, Is there a way I can just take that battery off the board and run the neo geo without the battery. if so how do i do that and what are the pros and cons. Just looks like it can really F up the works if you don't keep on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just desolder the 2 points under the foam pad and remove the battery.

Only con is that you will not bea able to keep settings once the power is off such as soft dip settings and game scores.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Has anyone come up with a socket solution for batteries yet? I'm about fed up with my 2 slot blanking my goddamn scores :mad:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Has anyone come up with a socket solution for batteries yet? I'm about fed up with my 2 slot blanking my goddamn scores :mad:

Just remove the 470ohm resistor in the charging circuit and remove the battery and replace it with a coin cell battery holder and use a 3v lithium coin cell.

BeefyWhale

Rugal's Thug
Thanks to everyone for keeping this fresh in your mind. I had no idea since this is my first Geo.

TempestPSO

n00b
Quick question, I just checked my board and the battery does seem to be leaking ever so slightly on the negative side. The battery how ever is still holding a charge, since the battery is still holding a charge is there anything special I should do, I noticed another person in this thread removed a battery with a charge and appeared to have shorted the board. I have a mvs 2 slot if that makes a difference. I was planning on just heating up the flux and ganking the battery entirely for a while.

TempestPSO

n00b
Got my leaking battery removed, Haven't got the guts to solder on a new one yet but I'm sure resetting options and not having high scores saved will get old quickly. Thanks for the help, if not for this site I would have never known to look and some time down the road I would be in deep. Thanks

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Just remove the 470ohm resistor in the charging circuit and remove the battery and replace it with a coin cell battery holder and use a 3v lithium coin cell.

I would advice that too, I changed all my 2/4/6 slot that way and it's a clean and solid mod.
The boards were clearly engineered with more than one option for the battery, you can find multiple pins for at least two combination of attach.

coinslot.jpg

I would put my hands on an howto to make the same mod on FZ/1B model, as the recharge circuit seems different/difficult to bypass..

TempestPSO

n00b
K removed my battery but did not put a replacement battery in, now upon boot up I get a flash or 2 of green screen before the neo geo start up screen comes one. Is this normal for not having a battery attached.

RGB32e

n00b

Oooh... that's the exact battery info I needed! Thanks!

muddymusic

n00b
Hi guys,
just joined up after reading through most of the forum and wanted to thank everyone for the extremely useful stuff on here.
I was looking for a cheap cab for a mame project and the cheapest/nearest one I could find was a dedicated neo cab - which thanks to the info here i've decided to restore instead of butcher :)
Was sold as faulty and when opened up looks like another victim of battery corrosion....
Very pleased to know i've got somewhere to find help when I get started though!

muddymusic

n00b
I guess this explains why my 6-slot doesn't work...
I'm no pcb expert but this doesn't look good!

Is this worth repairing or should I be looking to get another board?

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

muddymusic

n00b
Would be great if it could be fixed up!
Can you recommend anyone who does these kind of repair jobs as i'm sure you're the guys who will know.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Would be great if it could be fixed up!
Can you recommend anyone who does these kind of repair jobs as i'm sure you're the guys who will know.

Well, your best bet is Channelmaniac but he's in the States - he REALLY knows his Neo Geo stuff though! :)

If you want someone in the UK then I'm happy to take a look at it - Neo Geo boards aren't my speciality area but I've fixed a few in my time. The damage on your board is hard to ascertain from the pics, it might be worse than it looks (or perhaps not even as bad).

Even if that is repaired it's possible that there are other faults preventing the board from working.

Either way, your repair charges aren't going to be cheap whether you send it to the States or to me in the UK - at a guess I'd say look to spend at least £50 (including postage/shipping) so you may prefer to keep your eyes open for a working board. Not sure how much they go for these days.

Feel free to PM me if you want to send it to me, but I think that Channelmaniac really is the absolute best when it comes to fixing Neo Geo boards. Not sure how much he would charge though.

Here he is:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?u=12525

muddymusic

n00b
Thanks for the info, when I bought the cab I wasn't planning on spending too much on it but when I opened it up the 6 slot was full with games which weren't listed in the description so figure i've saved myself a bit for repair costs as don't have to spend out on carts when it's working.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Fair enough - just as long as the carts work and aren't bootlegs. ;)

Uo to you how you'd like to proceed - PM channelmaniac perhaps and me if you'd like to check on repair prices, shipping, whatever. :)

There may even be other Neo Geo repairers here that are in the UK, but none spring to mind.

muddymusic

n00b
Can't pm yet as guessing i'm still a potentially annoying newbie, will do once have permissions! :)

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Six slots are notorious for not working.

I would suggest that your best bet is to get a 2 slot, if you want a multi slot, or get a one slot - they never go wrong (n.b. they do sometimes go wrong)

In the UK, I'm not aware of any repairers. Not any proper ones anyway.

Channelmaniac I think has a real in depth knowledge. Take a look over here: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?board=19.0 for some of his work.

Good luck!

muddymusic

n00b
Certainly would be interested in that, can't pm you as too new, could you mail me? Thanks.