Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The bad battery thread

So I just bought a MVS 2 slot and am not very technologically skilled, Is there a way I can just take that battery off the board and run the neo geo without the battery. if so how do i do that and what are the pros and cons. Just looks like it can really F up the works if you don't keep on it.

JammaNationX

Just desolder the 2 points under the foam pad and remove the battery.

Only con is that you will not bea able to keep settings once the power is off such as soft dip settings and game scores.

There Can be Only One SetaSouji??'s Avatar

Has anyone come up with a socket solution for batteries yet? I'm about fed up with my 2 slot blanking my goddamn scores
    When I figure out how I got here I'll let you know

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by TougaKiryuu View Post
    Has anyone come up with a socket solution for batteries yet? I'm about fed up with my 2 slot blanking my goddamn scores
    Just remove the 470ohm resistor in the charging circuit and remove the battery and replace it with a coin cell battery holder and use a 3v lithium coin cell.

Mr. Big's Thug

Thanks to everyone for keeping this fresh in your mind. I had no idea since this is my first Geo.

Quick question, I just checked my board and the battery does seem to be leaking ever so slightly on the negative side. The battery how ever is still holding a charge, since the battery is still holding a charge is there anything special I should do, I noticed another person in this thread removed a battery with a charge and appeared to have shorted the board. I have a mvs 2 slot if that makes a difference. I was planning on just heating up the flux and ganking the battery entirely for a while.

Got my leaking battery removed, Haven't got the guts to solder on a new one yet but I'm sure resetting options and not having high scores saved will get old quickly. Thanks for the help, if not for this site I would have never known to look and some time down the road I would be in deep. Thanks

ネオジオ

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Just remove the 470ohm resistor in the charging circuit and remove the battery and replace it with a coin cell battery holder and use a 3v lithium coin cell.
    I would advice that too, I changed all my 2/4/6 slot that way and it's a clean and solid mod.
    The boards were clearly engineered with more than one option for the battery, you can find multiple pins for at least two combination of attach.

I would put my hands on an howto to make the same mod on FZ/1B model, as the recharge circuit seems different/difficult to bypass..

K removed my battery but did not put a replacement battery in, now upon boot up I get a flash or 2 of green screen before the neo geo start up screen comes one. Is this normal for not having a battery attached.

Quote Originally Posted by massimiliano View Post
    The boards were clearly engineered with more than one option for the battery, you can find multiple pins for at least two combination of attach.

http://www.netpacket.it/neo/coinslot.jpg
    And you can also solder the battery holder on the other side of the board so you don't have to take everything apart to check/replace it.

ネオジオ

Quote Originally Posted by MKL View Post
    And you can also solder the battery holder on the other side of the board so you don't have to take everything apart to check/replace it.
    ....!!

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Oooh... that's the exact battery info I needed! Thanks!

Bashful Neophyte

Hi guys,
    just joined up after reading through most of the forum and wanted to thank everyone for the extremely useful stuff on here.
    I was looking for a cheap cab for a mame project and the cheapest/nearest one I could find was a dedicated neo cab - which thanks to the info here i've decided to restore instead of butcher
    Was sold as faulty and when opened up looks like another victim of battery corrosion....
    Very pleased to know i've got somewhere to find help when I get started though!

Bashful Neophyte

I guess this explains why my 6-slot doesn't work...
    I'm no pcb expert but this doesn't look good!

Is this worth repairing or should I be looking to get another board?

Bashful Neophyte

Would be great if it could be fixed up!
    Can you recommend anyone who does these kind of repair jobs as i'm sure you're the guys who will know.

Armored Scrum Object

Quote Originally Posted by muddymusic View Post
    Would be great if it could be fixed up!
    Can you recommend anyone who does these kind of repair jobs as i'm sure you're the guys who will know.
    Well, your best bet is Channelmaniac but he's in the States - he REALLY knows his Neo Geo stuff though!

If you want someone in the UK then I'm happy to take a look at it - Neo Geo boards aren't my speciality area but I've fixed a few in my time. The damage on your board is hard to ascertain from the pics, it might be worse than it looks (or perhaps not even as bad).

Even if that is repaired it's possible that there are other faults preventing the board from working.

Either way, your repair charges aren't going to be cheap whether you send it to the States or to me in the UK - at a guess I'd say look to spend at least 50 (including postage/shipping) so you may prefer to keep your eyes open for a working board. Not sure how much they go for these days.

Feel free to PM me if you want to send it to me, but I think that Channelmaniac really is the absolute best when it comes to fixing Neo Geo boards. Not sure how much he would charge though.

Here he is:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?u=12525

Bashful Neophyte

Thanks for the info, when I bought the cab I wasn't planning on spending too much on it but when I opened it up the 6 slot was full with games which weren't listed in the description so figure i've saved myself a bit for repair costs as don't have to spend out on carts when it's working.

Armored Scrum Object

Fair enough - just as long as the carts work and aren't bootlegs.

Uo to you how you'd like to proceed - PM channelmaniac perhaps and me if you'd like to check on repair prices, shipping, whatever.

There may even be other Neo Geo repairers here that are in the UK, but none spring to mind.

Bashful Neophyte

Can't pm yet as guessing i'm still a potentially annoying newbie, will do once have permissions!

Armored Scrum Object

Okay.

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

Six slots are notorious for not working.

I would suggest that your best bet is to get a 2 slot, if you want a multi slot, or get a one slot - they never go wrong (n.b. they do sometimes go wrong)

In the UK, I'm not aware of any repairers. Not any proper ones anyway.

Channelmaniac I think has a real in depth knowledge. Take a look over here: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?board=19.0 for some of his work.

Good luck!
    I'm selling some MVS carts,art sets & kits, some Rare AES conversions and games, SNK Mooks, SNK AES Hardware, and about 40 Neo CDs

Check the selling forums for my name!

PRICES ADDED TO (pretty much) EVERYTHING!

I have a working 6 slot bottom board if you're interested.

RJ
    Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com

---------

I've repaired boards for many members here.

Want me to repair your arcade game board? Look here. I do MVS, AES, and many other game boards.

My repair logs are have moved to NewLifeGames.com!!!

Bashful Neophyte

Certainly would be interested in that, can't pm you as too new, could you mail me? Thanks.

Done.
    Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com

---------

I've repaired boards for many members here.

Want me to repair your arcade game board? Look here. I do MVS, AES, and many other game boards.

My repair logs are have moved to NewLifeGames.com!!!

Thread Information