The bad battery thread

doctor_shred

Zero's Secretary
Does anyone know if a MV-1A will work fine if I remove the lithium cell battery?

I think it's starting to go bad so I'll remove it but I'd like to still use the board while I find a replacement. Thanks.

eccs19

New Challenger
My battery appears to be still all nice and leak free. I got worried after reading this thread, so I cracked it open.

IMGP4522.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Your battery may look nice on top but underneath could be leaking.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
What's the deal with 1A boards.... what kind of setup can we replace with (can it be the same as for the 2 slot - that's what I thought it was)?

eccs19

New Challenger
Your battery may look nice on top but underneath could be leaking.

I looked at the underside, and it's all nice and clean as well. Considering all the horror stories I've heard on here, I'm actually quite surprised. :buttrock:

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
wow, those pictures are like what you show your kids so that they'll be scared straight. I won't ever go more than 4 years between batteries now...

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
wow, those pictures are like what you show your kids so that they'll be scared straight. I won't ever go more than 4 years between batteries now...

Yeah. That board was an eBay gamble. Bought non working with intent to have it revived. Never thought I would find that inside. Had to junk it.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Well thought I would throw up a photo or two.

These two were from an ebay board. (I already removed the battery by this point)

Different board... but new battery installed.

Last edited:

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah. That board was an eBay gamble. Bought non working with intent to have it revived. Never thought I would find that inside. Had to junk it.

A pity you junked it, would have been useful as a parts board. :)

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
When the battery leaks on the MV4FT2 version of the Neo Geo 4 slot, there are 3 traces that run next to the battery area that control the graphics on the slots that can be affected by the corrosion damage. If this happens, the graphics will come and go, especially when touching pin 56 of the NEO-253 chip at D5 on the top board with a logic probe or oscilloscope probe.

The trace from this pin routes to the bottom board and is one of the three traces that run next to the battery area on the top side of the bottom board. These three traces will most likely be damaged and require jumpering with 30ga Kynar wire.

RJ

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I'm about to install a mount for a 20mm button battery on my NEO-MVH board. The previous battery was removed and looks pretty much like this picture posted earlier:

4_sm.jpg

The battery mount looks like this:

IMG_4340.jpg

What's the best way to do this? The holes for the original battery are a bit farther apart than the mount I bought. I don't want to mess with it until I know the best way to do it. Thanks!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I'm about to install a mount for a 20mm button battery on my NEO-MVH board. The previous battery was removed and looks pretty much like this picture posted earlier:

4_sm.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

What's the best way to do this? The holes for the original battery are a bit farther apart than the mount I bought. I don't want to mess with it until I know the best way to do it. Thanks!

Because you bought the vertical mount one (similar to what you can use on a 1C) ... the best thing is to use the one that lays horizontal and has two posts that will fit exactly into the old holes.
something like this:

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
When the battery leaks on the MV4FT2 version of the Neo Geo 4 slot, there are 3 traces that run next to the battery area that control the graphics on the slots that can be affected by the corrosion damage. If this happens, the graphics will come and go, especially when touching pin 56 of the NEO-253 chip at D5 on the top board with a logic probe or oscilloscope probe.

The trace from this pin routes to the bottom board and is one of the three traces that run next to the battery area on the top side of the bottom board. These three traces will most likely be damaged and require jumpering with 30ga Kynar wire.

RJ

Any tips on an MV2F?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This thread makes me nervous about my MV2F that hasn't been touched in 6 months. Though it was recapped by you ChannelManiac and that was quite a while ago and I don't remember if I requested the battery to be replaced. Hmm spose I was to remove the battery, if I care not about BIOS settings or whatever else, it would work as per usual wouldn't it?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
This thread makes me nervous about my MV2F that hasn't been touched in 6 months. Though it was recapped by you ChannelManiac and that was quite a while ago and I don't remember if I requested the battery to be replaced. Hmm spose I was to remove the battery, if I care not about BIOS settings or whatever else, it would work as per usual wouldn't it?

Yeah but just throw in a new battery while you're at it. A few bucks at mouser and you can put in a holder and coin-cell and be rolling again.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

4_sm.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

All MVS boards use the horizontal battery mount except for the MV1C which uses a vertical. You can use a horizontal on the 1C but the way I do it uses the mounting holes for the heatsink, this of course is for a CMVS unit not used in a cab.

For vertical instructions this is what I do:
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html?show=mvsbat1c

i am afraid that my neo geo batery blow and damage the board. i want to now if i can take of the batery and leave the neo geo whith no batery

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
i am afraid that my neo geo batery blow and damage the board. i want to now if i can take of the batery and leave the neo geo whith no batery

Sure but it won't fix a damaged board.

Plus, why not throw a battery back on there. [see every post above yours]

i have another problem i have real bout 1 and metal slug 1 mvs cartrige and the sound are distorsion the grafix are well but the sound are distorsion cartriges are clean how i can fix this problem. please help me

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
i have another problem i have real bout 1 and metal slug 1 mvs cartrige and the sound are distorsion the grafix are well but the sound are distorsion cartriges are clean how i can fix this problem. please help me

Wrong thread man. Use the search in the Tech sub-forum and you should find what you need.