Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: The bad battery thread

Neo Bubble Buster

Quote Originally Posted by bartre View Post
    I contacted the seller yesterday to work something out; I'd rather just fix it and be done.
    but what's a fair price for a board with this kind of damage?
    Is the board running elseways, or has it other issues as well?
    I've had boards that looked worse, but run just fine after cleaning and doing a battery mod.

I hunt down and bridge broken track and re-flow ugly looking legs (like on the NEO-ZMC2 in your picture) with plenty of "no clean" flux, and clean the whole area with rubbing alcohol. I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but my first repair three years ago is stil up and running and I hope it will be for a long time.
    If anybody has a better way of cleaning I'm happy to hear it.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

does it matter what kind of vinegar I use? I don't have any regular white.
    DON'T USE VINEGAR. [I know I posted about doing just that before - but I know better now.]

Do as follows:
    1. Try to clean the spot as much as you can with a dry cloth and then some rubbing alcohol.
    2. Mix baking soda with some water to a paste and apply it to the damaged parts with a toothbrush.
    3. Let it sit for a short while (20-30 Min.).
    4. Clean with distilled/demineralized water.
    5. Dry the board. (Hand-dry with a clean and soft cotton cloth. Easiest way to make sure the board is really really dry is heating your oven to ca. 70ーC, then turn it off (!) and put the PCB inside over night.)

Here's why: Mixing an acid (vinegar) with a base (leakage) could lead to a chemical reaction that will further damage your board. Also the proportions of battery leak to vinegar would have to be perfect to really neutralize the leakage and not leave some of the vinegar on the board that will eat through the metal even faster. Backing soda (sodium bicarbonate) is amphoteric, so it will neutralize bases and acids.

Thanks to the people schooling me on this. Read further here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Otter View Post
    I've had boards that looked worse, but run just fine after cleaning and doing a battery mod.
    this.

Mickey's Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Otter View Post

I hunt down and bridge broken track and re-flow ugly looking legs (like on the NEO-ZMC2 in your picture) with plenty of "no clean" flux, and clean the whole area with rubbing alcohol. I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but my first repair three years ago is stil up and running and I hope it will be for a long time.
    If anybody has a better way of cleaning I'm happy to hear it.
    Well there's some graphical fuckery.
    But as far as I know, that could also be caused by a loose/dirty cart slot.

To repair the traces, should I run wires, or is it better to just scrape the mask and flow some solder?

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

To repair the traces, should I run wires, or is it better to just scrape the mask and flow some solder?
    I would run wires and connect the components directly (and not try to just bridge the broken part of the trace(s)). Should be less work and surer to succeed.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Man, it's good to be back, and what a fantastic thread. I think I completely missed this one when I was previously active on here, but as I'm preparing to spend more time with the Neo, I got to thinking I should look into tidying it up a bit (some slots work better than others, but it mostly just needs a good cleaning). Now I know what I'll be checking on first!

Thread Information