The bad battery thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's just silicone caulking, just rip it off. I would also dust the board with a chip brush (non-plastic).

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
Some pics of a MV-1FT I´ve recently received:

Battery leakage and corrosion in the nearby Yamaha IC and traces:

2i6fneh.jpg

24fxjko.jpg

2icblef.jpg

2q8vm69.jpg

Dirt and dust:

2vd20ig.jpg

The board run with some sound issues probably caused by the corrosion in some pins of the Yamaha IC and traces aside. After cleaning, desoldering the battery and removing the corrosion, music and sound effects worked again just fine.

DeusVult

Another Striker
I just purchased a consolised 2 slot setup running unibios 3.1 and it doesn't save anything, after seeing this thread I opened up the casing and found the battery all looks okay, can I or should just replace this battery or is it best to do the battery mod cr3202

Attachments

• neomvs1.jpg
    neomvs1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 163
  • neomvs2.jpg
    neomvs2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 163
  • neomvs3.jpg
    neomvs3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 163

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The battery looks fine. You just need to charge it, you need to leave the system on for at least 3-4 hours so it can charge.

DeusVult

Another Striker
okay, thanks a lot, how long will it roughly hold a charge once I have done that?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
A coin cell probably has 1/10 the capacity of the original NiCd...so more like 2 weeks ?

DeusVult

Another Striker
thanks for the input, somewhere in between those times is fine I was was worried you would say days, so iam happy with that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Usually it goes 10mA per month roughly. The original battery I think is 50-60mAh, coin cells are actually higher in capacity than the originals. A VG2430 is about 90mAh. You just need to make sure the battery is fully charged if you plan to leave it in storage for a bit.

DeusVult

Another Striker
Usually it goes 10mA per month roughly. The original battery I think is 50-60mAh, coin cells are actually higher in capacity than the originals. A VG2430 is about 90mAh. You just need to make sure the battery is fully charged if you plan to leave it in storage for a bit.

thanks a lot, charging the battery worked a treat, now my miserable cyberlip high score is saved :)

husk4197

n00b
So I've been looking through this thread as I also have a board with a battery that leaked.
Attached are some pics of the board and damage.
I'm not a skilled tech so my soldering skills are probably at the novice-intermediate level.
That being said if you guy know where and who I can probably send this to to have it fixed I'd be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Youtube Video Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg9PUA2Sov4

DSC06568.JPGDSC06570.JPGDSC06571.JPG

husk4197

n00b
I have absoutely TE WORST luck with these MVH 1FS boards....
bought another one today....powered on to test , worked fine.
Purchased and brought it home. powered it up to fully test picture started coming and going but sound is ok.
Turns out the battery was leaking [rrrrrrggggghhh]
So now I have 2 faulty 1FS boards on my hands..........

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
does the board you posted pics of work ok? The corrosion doesn't look all that bad to me. Just clean it up/neutralize the leakage and you should be fine.

As for the board you purchased recently: What's it look like, how bad is the corrosion?

husk4197

n00b
does the board you posted pics of work ok? The corrosion doesn't look all that bad to me. Just clean it up/neutralize the leakage and you should be fine.

As for the board you purchased recently: What's it look like, how bad is the corrosion?

Hi! Thanks for the reply.
No, the board only outputs Z80 ERROR on the screen. And as of recently the video comes and goes.

As for the new board here are some pics and a video if what I'm getting.
Sound is good but the video cuts in and out.

Video Link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Mb_JoB6fs

Attachments

• DSC06589e.jpg
    DSC06589e.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC06592e.jpg
    DSC06592e.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC06593e.jpg
    DSC06593e.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 149

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Check the continuity of those traces going to the 6116 SRAM chip. The battery damage to those traces will cause a Z80 error.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Do you still need to cut the 470 resistor if your doing a 3.6V rechargeable NiCd or NiMh cordless battery?

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I finally decided to pull out my battery in my 2 slot, as well as from my PGM mobo. I’ve yet to add the coin cell to the 2slot (hopefully soon), but that seems easy and straightforward (even with my very low soldering skills).

The PGM tho, I managed to install the coin cell battery holder (no battery in for the moment), and remove the D2 diode. But the 470ohm resistor marked R24 on the back of the mobo, I’m not really sure how to remove it. Am I supposed to desolder on both sides of the little 471, and try to pull it out? It seems mighty small.
pgmbat5.jpg

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
I finally decided to pull out my battery in my 2 slot, as well as from my PGM mobo. I’ve yet to add the coin cell to the 2slot (hopefully soon), but that seems easy and straightforward (even with my very low soldering skills).

The PGM tho, I managed to install the coin cell battery holder (no battery in for the moment), and remove the D2 diode. But the 470ohm resistor marked R24 on the back of the mobo, I’m not really sure how to remove it. Am I supposed to desolder on both sides of the little 471, and try to pull it out? It seems mighty small.
View attachment 12546

Yes, you´re right. Remove the tin from both sides and gently pull it out. This is a SMD-type resistor and, apart for the tiny size, desoldering it is rather straightforwarded.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hey guys, just more or less read this entire thread and wanted to add some information to those who may be wondering about the supercaps.

While they do seem like a nice "fix all" for our battery problems. They do have a rated life expectancy of around ~1000 hours. So if you plan to leave your MVS on quite often; I would probably go the coin cell route.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So I was doing a replacement today (MV2) and followed the instructions I found on Jammax, and was wondering what the second pad beside the positive leg for the battery is used for? In the tutorial and a couple pics I saw in this thread that pad had been removed, so I did the same, but was curious what it is used for, it has a trace coming off of it (is it used for the recharging?). The battery leg was coming through the hole on the left so I am assuming it was the one I should reuse.

Final photo from JammaX,
2fbat4.jpg

But he had the trace hole marked for when desoldering, so I am a little confused

2fbat2.jpg

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Are the two pads supposed to connect then? I dont see a trace and when I desoldered both it doesnt look like they touch.

You can connect them with a bead of solder if you use the other pad.