The bad battery thread

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hmmm. if that's true, supercabs are the way to go indeed. Seems like a got one with 5.5 Volt and 1 Farad, if I haven't crunched my numbers wrong it actually should work like he says...

Rampage

n00b
Just cant wait to hear from you..

in the meanwhile i forgot that the ebay insertion was anding this morning at 6 am.. and lost it.. so, till a similar item is put on with a similar price, i won'0t get my MVS-MV1Fz :(

shame on me

xsq

Just cant wait to hear from you...
whut? I've already modded my boards with coin cells and that's fine for me atm... so ummm... either some tech guru enlightens us or you experiment and report the outcome ;)

Rampage

n00b
i'll probably experiment.. i'm just trying to find a board to work on as i've missed a chance to bring an MV-1FZ home...

i'm also a bit on a saving lately so..

ok ok, you are right, neogeo and boing on a saving doesn't get along very well :D

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Great thread, full of very informative info. I've been having a lot of issues lately with my MV-4FT2 not handling all four slots, I think it is the power supply dying out as I've checked the voltage and it's unstable. I've had the board for ten years and I could not remember who or where I bought it from on eBay.

So decided to check the battery, and it appears that this board had already been modded with a rechargeable Lithium battery, but as you can see, there is another modification which appears to be some resistor in a sheath running from the location of the battery to a chip. This may be completely unrelated to the battery as it appears to be some sort of grounding. I may be wrong.

But this also looks like it was factory installed. The backing on the underside of the board is completely intact and does not appear to have been tampered with. Again, I may be wrong but the battery is a Toshiba VG2430 which is the same battery MtothaJ said he believes came factory installed on his MV-1FZ board.

Thoughts anyone? And do I ever need to consider changing out the battery? The 470 charger resistor is still intact.

View attachment 8664

I noticed today that my board has this exact same thing, although it's a 4 slot MVS4FS. It might be a ground, but whatever it is, it looks modded to me. The battery definitely doesn't look like it came with the board, which would make sense since the thing is 20+ years old.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
It's not a resistor.

It's a Diode.

I have never seen this battery setup before.

---

Imho, go with the Coin Cell mod.

Coin Cell mod is the way to go.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's not a resistor.

It's a Diode.

I have never seen this battery setup before.

---

Imho, go with the Coin Cell mod.

Coin Cell mod is the way to go.

It's probably a zener diode which will have a sharp cutoff to limit voltage going to the battery to a safe level. Lithium batteries do NOT like to be overcharged and if they reach a certain temperature they go into a self-sustaining chemical fire. The only thing you can do to stop the fire is lower the temperature... ice or CO2 extinguishers do the trick for that.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So it's safe to say this setup is fine and I don't need to change out the battery?

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Where can I buy the correct battery in which to do the battery replacement mod? Should I go with a Coin Cell battery? It is a NEO-MVH 4 slot.

Last edited:

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
Where can I buy the correct battery in which to do the battery replacement mod? Should I go with a Coin Cell battery? It is a NEO-MVH 4 slot.

If you are planning to do the regular battery replacement mod from Jamma Nation, then you can buy the coin cell in any electronic/photography shop. It should be very easy to find it if you are looking for a CR2032 model.

Last edited:

xsq

Don't forget to cut off/remove the 470ohm resistor if you're going with the coin cell mod and do not put in a fitting rechargeable cell.

And as Hodor said, the CR2032 are pretty much perfect for the job.

Last edited:

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Don't forget to cut off/remove the 470ohm resistor if you're going with the coin cell mod and do not put in a fitting rechargeable cell.

And as Hodor said, the CR2032 are pretty much perfect for the job.

Thanks for the help guys. Just wondering, what would happen if I left the resistor on?

xsq

what would happen if I left the resistor on?
The board will keep on charging the battery... or at least try to. So if you're not using a rechargable one with the right voltage --- BOOM!
(I'm not kidding. Coin cells can explode and splat their insides everywhere. Then you're truly fucked.)

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
hello,

I know that on the sega saturn if you turn on the system and replace the battery you will not lose the game save data, does anyone know if the same applies for a MVS board that's been modded to use a cr2032?

thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
hello,

I know that on the sega saturn if you turn on the system and replace the battery you will not lose the game save data, does anyone know if the same applies for a MVS board that's been modded to use a cr2032?

thanks!

On MVS, the only things stored in BRAM is scores and soft dip settings and bios settings. Only the memory card save progress for games that support it.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
On MVS, the only things stored in BRAM is scores and soft dip settings and bios settings. Only the memory card save progress for games that support it.

thanks Xian, do you know if those settings would be saved if the battery is replaced while the board is on?

also would a gopro camera battery work? it's a 3.7v Li-ion 1400mAh rechargeable

thanks again.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
thanks Xian, do you know if those settings would be saved if the battery is replaced while the board is on?

also would a gopro camera battery work? it's a 3.7v Li-ion 1400mAh rechargeable

thanks again.

Since the bram is still powered, yes. The battery provides an alternate source of power for bram when the board is powered off. You should do the coin cell battery mod instead. It's cheap and the maintenance is easy.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Very helpful thread! Thanks to Xian Xi and everyone else that posted. I added a CR2032 battery to my 4 slot MVS today underneath the lower mobo using the info in this thread. It works great and it's very nice to have the added benefits of a working battery :)

temjin93

n00b
I am looking to replace my lithium rechargable 3V IVR2430 and VG2430 batteries in a couple of boards but am having trouble finding replacements. Does anyone have a link to a site that sells these? Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question.

Thanks

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Just a warning for anyone that owns a Car Marty. Unlike every other TownsPC/Marty unit which uses coin-cell batteries, the Car Marty has a dreaded Lithium Barrel type, and it's about 1cm away from the CPU, not to mention the tiny mobo with millions of traces. Considering most Car Marty owners have them sitting in glass cases, I assume working units are going to get very very rare in a few years.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I haven't had a chance to look at my recent MVS-4 board yet, Yikes! looks like ill have to pull it out this week to check. Thanks for the info! Post pictures when I do.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I finally got around to pulling my boards apart here is a pic of my battery.

IMG_1283_zps45d4339b.jpg

It looks really good on top, still wondering about the bottom. Who ever decided to glue mine in went freaking nuts. I am not quite sure how to pull this glue off any tips? I am also afraid to do this solder job myself since I have little experience in soldering board components. :(

xsq

try applying some alcohol (methylated spirits is OK too) with q-tips to loosen the glue.