The bad battery thread

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Intriguing. Maybe you'd be better off removing the charging resistor (470ohm), installing a coin cell holder and just use non rechargable ones. They can live for a pretty long time.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Intriguing. Maybe you'd be better off removing the charging resistor (470ohm), installing a coin cell holder and just use non rechargable ones. They can live for a pretty long time.

Since I already ordered the rechargeable cells this is what I will be using if I decide to change out the battery. The bottom line is that there appears to be a risk of leaving the present battery in place - perhaps overall a lower risk than in the case of the barrel style batteries but nevertheless one which could materialise.

synrgy87

n00b
flic.jpg

6 Slot i recently got, looks worse than it is lol.:tickled::lolz:

NES_4lfe

n00b
Cheers!

I've just bought my second MVS 4-slot and it was green screening. I put the machine into RAM Test mode by putting all the dips high and left it there for an hour. After a quick reboot with the dips low the thing booted and played fine. After 15 mins of play I rebooted and it went back into green screening! It seems the battery is on its last legs and just interfering with the boot. I've bought a rechargeable replacement from maplins for £4.79 and will be fixing it tonight. I think my last 4-slot got an interesting graphics problem from a battery too.

Thanks for the 'threads-up'!

podo38

n00b
Maybe a silly question here but if you have faulty battery of some kind, What are the repercussions? No power?, improper function etc??

reinfected

n00b
Maybe a silly question here but if you have faulty battery of some kind, What are the repercussions? No power?, improper function etc??
If you're referring to a battery leaking all over the board, it would cause the connections on the board to become weak and eventually fail.

If you're referring to having a no battery/a malfunctioning battery on the board, nothing happens. The battery is there for book keeping reasons such as when the game was played and for how long. It additionally keeps the high scores in place. So, you'd be able to play your games just fine, but when you turn off the system, you lose your high scores.

Adding to the thread for references. Unsure if you can see my battery leaking a little.

SAmTZVLl.jpg

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Does this battery also keep the game settings? Like the difficulty level and other settings like auto-fire with C button in Strikers?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does this battery also keep the game settings? Like the difficulty level and other settings like auto-fire with C button in Strikers?

It keeps settings and some scores, don't know about auto-fire, isn't that Unibios enabled?

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
It keeps settings and some scores, don't know about auto-fire, isn't that Unibios enabled?

I'm not sure... I never changed the bios in my 1F but maybe it came with Unibios..

Since my post I peeked in my cab and saw the battery leaking so I pulled the board and snipped it off the board.
I set the level in Garou to 1 played a bit... powered off for a minute or so and it was still one when I powered back on.
So I guess the battery doesn't save those settings... unless a minute wasn't long enough...
regardless, I'm going to replace the battery when I can.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It will sometimes have residual charge left in the RAM so if you power off for 45 minutes then it should be clear and back to level 4.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
It will sometimes have residual charge left in the RAM so if you power off for 45 minutes then it should be clear and back to level 4.

True. The 108 in 1 Multicart I have, that saves its game settings on the cart I guess. I put it in last night after the cab was off for a few hours. All the game settings were still set. I didn't realize the multicarts did that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
True. The 108 in 1 Multicart I have, that saves its game settings on the cart I guess. I put it in last night after the cab was off for a few hours. All the game settings were still set. I didn't realize the multicarts did that.

It shouldn't be saving settings as there is no RAM on the multicart, your system must keep charge for a while.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I was wondering if it is possible to use a rechargeable 3.6V coin cell battery and fitting holder to replace the stock battery. This way you could leave the charging circuit intact and have a new, easily serviceable battery. It can be done with the Dreamcast and there should be quite a few 3.6V coin cells out there... what am I missing?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was wondering if it is possible to use a rechargeable 3.6V coin cell battery and fitting holder to replace the stock battery. This way you could leave the charging circuit intact and have a new, easily serviceable battery. It can be done with the Dreamcast and there should be quite a few 3.6V coin cells out there... what am I missing?

Of course. Just remember that you need to have the system on for at least 2 hours to give the battery some charge, preferably 3-4 hours.

I just picked up neo MV1FZS it works good but i want to replace the stock button cell with a new 3 volt lithium rechargeable with
a coin cell holder . Do I need to worry about losing bios when I remove old and install new ? Also at this time I cannot change the
calander , it's stuck on 2010

Thanks ahead of time

richard3158

xsq

i want to replace the stock button cell with a new 3 volt lithium rechargeable with a coin cell holder. Do I need to worry about losing bios when I remove old and install new?
Afaik the Neo puts out 3.6V through the recharge circuit, so you should be using a 3.6V rechargeable coin cell as well. In most cases you will loose the bios settings (including high scores) when you remove the battery. Sometimes if you're fast and a charge is kept on the bios, you will not, but that has only happened to me once and I find it kind of scary.

How the calender can be stuck, I do not know. Normally you should be able to change the year as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You might need to clear the backup RAM in the hardware menu after you change the battery. You should be able to change the date then.

Jimbo

n00b
Hi All,
Sorry if this has already been answered before but my home internet connection is currently down so I couldn’t make a proper search, anyhow in a nutshell: a while ago my 4 slot MVS’s battery died so I removed it to avoid any leakage (it was a 3.6V 50mAh Ni-Cd battery).

Recently I start looking for a replacement but the only available battery my local store has in stock is a 3.6V 250mAh Ni-Mh. Will this battery work as well? Thanks in advance :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi All,
Sorry if this has already been answered before but my home internet connection is currently down so I couldn’t make a proper search, anyhow in a nutshell: a while ago my 4 slot MVS’s battery died so I removed it to avoid any leakage (it was a 3.6V 50mAh Ni-Cd battery).

Recently I start looking for a replacement but the only available battery my local store has in stock is a 3.6V 250mAh Ni-Mh. Will this battery work as well? Thanks in advance :)

Yes, it will. It also has a higher capacity which is a plus.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Great thread, full of very informative info. I've been having a lot of issues lately with my MV-4FT2 not handling all four slots, I think it is the power supply dying out as I've checked the voltage and it's unstable. I've had the board for ten years and I could not remember who or where I bought it from on eBay.

So decided to check the battery, and it appears that this board had already been modded with a rechargeable Lithium battery, but as you can see, there is another modification which appears to be some resistor in a sheath running from the location of the battery to a chip. This may be completely unrelated to the battery as it appears to be some sort of grounding. I may be wrong.

But this also looks like it was factory installed. The backing on the underside of the board is completely intact and does not appear to have been tampered with. Again, I may be wrong but the battery is a Toshiba VG2430 which is the same battery MtothaJ said he believes came factory installed on his MV-1FZ board.

Thoughts anyone? And do I ever need to consider changing out the battery? The 470 charger resistor is still intact.

IMG_2252.jpg

Last edited:

Rampage

n00b
Hello,
i'm about to receive my MV-1FZ board soon enaugh, so while i was waiting for my account to get activated i lurked around this forum pretty much and also read lot of other documentation on the about the battery issues i might encounter when i receive the board.

First of all, let's say i'm pretty crap at electronic stuff, when it comes to soldering and so on.. luckly i have a friend who is a ninja and can help me out.

i've read around that some people, instead of using a coin battery and cut the charging circuit were experimenting using capacitors... i don't know about it, it sounds odd honestly.. what do you think about it?

xsq

desoldering the battery and putting a new one in is something easily done. Honestly, if you can solder at all you should be able to do it ok.

As to the capacitor thing, that's actually an interesting idea. I guess supercabs should work to some degree and have some advantages (faster loading, super long lifespan, more resistant to temperatures, ecological). But they usually don't hold a charge as long as batteries (leakage current too) - so you'll need to recharge them like every 22-26 hours if I figured this out correctly... got any links?

Rampage

n00b
desoldering the battery and putting a new one in is something easily done. Honestly, if you can solder at all you should be able to do it ok.

As to the capacitor thing, that's actually an interesting idea. I guess supercabs should work to some degree and have some advantages (faster loading, super long lifespan, more resistant to temperatures, ecological). But they usually don't hold a charge as long as batteries (leakage current too) - so you'll need to recharge them like every 22-26 hours if I figured this out correctly... got any links?

Hi, i don't have a proper document, but i've spotted this video where the guy is using a super capacitor with which he claims he can hold the data on his powered off 6 slots board for about 3 months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTP9_gS31Tw

honestly i don't know