The bad battery thread

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Bought a faulty MV-1F of off eBay and the battery was leaking big time, neutralized the area with baking soda and water and let that sit for 30mins. Washed the board thoroughly with distilled water and toothbrush. Cleaned the cart slot with isopropyl and it's a working board! When I saw corrosion on a couple chips I thought it was gone, not so! If I didn't have this thread to use as reference I'd have a board in far worse condition.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Got an mv1fz an it's got a lithium 3v battery in it. Am I correct in thinking that I don't need to worry about possible leakage? Read somewhere that they don't leak.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Just got out my MV1 to test a few things (I usually use my MV1-C).

Now I see this happening:

mv1batt.JPG

should I take off the battery and try to fix it?
EDIT - I should probably mention a few things:

* this was originally repaired and purchased from channelmaniac - I don't know if this was an area he worked on but it doesn't look like the corrosain I see on the other pictures.

* Also, it works just fine.. no problems with the board right now.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks like flux, you can use some Rubbing Alcohol to remove the buildup.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
cool.. looks like i can sell it then.. my 1C is a champ and I obviously don't use this much. THANKS XX

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
199098_10150113554886436_613191435_6968486_3667287_n.jpg

190450_10150113554811436_613191435_6968484_646216_n.jpg

I don't see any fuzzy shit...before my power supply went out it saved stuff still.

but i'm no expert, how's it look to you guys?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's corroded on the back side, the green stuff isn't good. Remove the battery.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
do you just pop it out?

the chips and everything look ok though right? Nothing permanent?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Desolder or cut the leads.
It doesnt look like it has leaked onto the board yet.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just changed my battery in the nick of time. It had leaked a bit but luckily it hadn't spread to any of the components an i've cleaned it up now. Phew! Just for the record, lithiums do leak!

yukin

n00b
my battery begin to leak to i chnage the battery. i stay with a rechargable one. i follow the tutorial on http://pineconeattack.com.

the article was made by Jangofatt.

i follow all the instruction. i test and it works. i put the battery outside like that, if he begin to have problem it will not damage the board.

DSC00702.jpg

owen

n00b
just finished checking my battery on my 4 slot and it looks perfect , like new . should i leave it in and just check it at a certain interval?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
just finished checking my battery on my 4 slot and it looks perfect , like new . should i leave it in and just check it at a certain interval?

The pancake batteries leak from the side you can't see.

owen

n00b
ok , its coming out , in an earlier post i read something about grounding or shorting when trying to remove the battery, is there anything i should know ? i have no electrical knowledge and would hate to ruin a perfect board, from what i gather from this thread, is to just remove it.. but i gotta be sure. :conf:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
EVERY OEM battery should be removed upon receipt of your MVS board. I usually don't bother replacing it but if you mustI like that isolation from the main board concept. Why not place it on a daughter board with a protective base on the solder side and glue down maybe?
BB

l2yan00

Quiz Detective
Whats up guys. i recently baught a huge lot of cps2 and mvs carts from a local arcade operator... all was untested. I opened up the marvel vs capcom board and this is what i discovered. Perhaps the most damage ever caused from a cps2 battery not being changed..... hope this convinces you to change your batteries before it becomes unfixbale like this one. the damage was irreversable due to numerous spots of corrosion to the pcb. CHANGE YOUR BATTERIES!!!!!!!!

dscn3372n.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the worst one is still mainman's CPS2 where the battery exploded and coated almost everything inside. Your pic is the reason why I don't buy untested boards from arcade ops. They won't let me open them to check so I passed no matter how good the deal.

At one point they even offered to sell them to me for $20 a piece and I still passed and they still couldn't understand how important it is for them to open and check. Plus those boards are sitting in a hot warehouse that has a skylight. When will they learn?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
dude. it looks like someone used your board to freebase meth and then shit all over it wtf...god makes me glad i got to mine before anything! It's sat here for 3 years without me knowing it was bad.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That is repairable... with a lot of patience, another board to compare, and kilometers of kynar wire... the worst thing is the corrosion on the Capcom DL-1927 chip legs.
I've done things worst than that. Optimist, right? :mr_t:

By the way, why don't you put that photo on the "disaster thread" I opened?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
My MV-1AX has a spot welded coin cell battery, mounted horizontally. What are the chances of it leaking? Thing is it is working perfectly right now and I fear this factory-looking battery will leak even if it's lithium-based. Should I buy a battery replacement mod from JNX and replace it anyway?