The bad battery thread

Gents, can I just ask a related question. Many people have suggested cleaning the board once the battery has been taken out but.... What with? What should I use that won't spread the acid or just eatthrough the traces itself? Sorry if this seems stupid to people, not really an electronics guru.

Many thanks,

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
Just checked a few things out. There's no continuity between the 2 adjacent solder pads on the positive side.
The battery I'm using is a re-chargeable VARTA (3/ V80H) (green plastic cover), 3.6V and 70mAh. It's also a Ni-MH instead of the original Ni-Cd.
I'm still waiting on my JAMMA harness so haven't powered anything yet.
I went ahead and used the positive battery pin to join those 2 adjacent solder pads. Is this ok?
Also, a bit more info on my board:
NEO-MVH MV1 (if this helps any)

t

I'm sure someone else here would know more about the specifics of different rechargeable batteries to give a more definitive answer. As far as I know, that battery should work fine.

Using the positive pin from the battery to bridge the two positive pads on the board should be a reasonable solution to complete the circuit.

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
Gents, can I just ask a related question. Many people have suggested cleaning the board once the battery has been taken out but.... What with? What should I use that won't spread the acid or just eatthrough the traces itself? Sorry if this seems stupid to people, not really an electronics guru.

Many thanks,

I would use a mild mixture of baking soda and warm water, and dab the solution onto the board with cotton swabs. Once the solution has had a second or two to react with acid that may be on the board, I would then use clean water to swab down the area. This is to help remove any baking soda residue and bring the area to a more neutral pH level. Using clean dry cotton swabs, I would wipe down the area to dry it out. Then repeat the previous two steps again with a high percentage rubbing alcohol instead of water.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
As an alternative, I have used fresh squeezed Lemon juice to neutralize the acid and then used water and/or isopropyl alcohol to clean up afterwards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure you remove the battery and any socketed chips before washing.

After you neutralise the area then just was the board all over with warm water and liquid soap using a toothbrush. After you are done rinsing the board let it stand vertical and drip dry for at least 30 minutes and use canned air or compressed air to get water from under the chips out. After that I let it sit in the sun to dry for about 2 hours if it's nice and sunny some people go longer like 3-4 hours but I'm in Hawaii so maybe it's hotter here.

Just make sure the board is completely dry before powering it back on.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I do the same thing. Baking soda mixed with distilled water to first treat the damaged area and then a rinse off with distilled water. I dont have a compressor or canned compressed air so I just violently wave the board around and most of the water tends to fly out. Towel to dry the remaining water and then I just let it stand vertical for a couple days. I just wish it always worked miracles.

Thanks for the replies people. Looks like I have some cleaning to do, battery looks like its only just started going so not too much to clean up.

As for drying it... Well, I live in the UK so I think 2-3 days would be required to dry it out in the sun!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Thanks for the replies people. Looks like I have some cleaning to do, battery looks like its only just started going so not too much to clean up.

As for drying it... Well, I live in the UK so I think 2-3 days would be required to dry it out in the sun!

I dry boards in the oven at 170 degrees F. NO hotter.

The only issue I've found is that silly plastic guide for the mem card on the 2 slot will sag. Just lift it back in place with a butter knife a blow on it until it cools and sets in place.

My 2 slot battery was removed.
481141_346709248748644_1052893200_n.jpg

view from another angle
480534_346709082081994_1478585470_n.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
Hey guys going to pick up my 2 slot tommorow! This will be the first thing I check when I get her home! Thanks for the heads up!

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Didn't know about the battery thing although I should have because I have PGM CAVE boards and I replaced those batteries .

Checked my PGM mobo :

Not good .
DSCF5481.jpg

Luckily I still had one battery left from the previous replacements :

DSCF5487.jpg

Cleaned up the surround with a little alcohol and wrote the date on the battery .

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Hello...I come here basically daily to surf threads but I have been way out of focus when it comes to messing with the MVS..my kids play my cabs more today then I do,....with the new baby I just don’t have the time..
I have known about this dead battery issue for a long time and knew there was a thread here but “sorry’ after reading page after page I have a headache..

I need some selective help..

MVS022.jpg

MVS023.jpg

MVS024.jpg

I went to turn on the BIG RED 4 Slot MVS and my Soft Dip settings were back to factory UH OH..
The games in slot 3-4 were not selecting,registering..(cab off..I open the cab up and reset the third game and then game 3 and 4 work..That’s weird..

I change my soft dip settings (no level credits on screen) and leave the cab on for a few hours.Back on later it’s holding my setting,but I know the battery is going...Loss of settings seems to happen more then it used to..
It’s one of those jobs I am WEARY to do but I can solder..
I have a soldering set as I replace GBA/GBC bateries..

What I need to know is..
Is this a simple de-solder battery out and solder it in?,..”any special solder type I need”..

Where is the Battery on a MVS 4 Slot (Big Board) I assume I have to split the boards..

I want to keep it simple..just get a replacement battery and install it.

I went looking on ebay
Is this what I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-GEO-REPLACEMENT-BATTERY-FOR-MV4F-BOARD-/380331269179

Last edited:

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Glad I read this entire thread. :) I just sniped a 2 slot off of eBay for dirt cheap, but it has the calendar error message. One of the possible points of failure was the battery, so I was curious as to what others have tried to fix that aspect of the system. I really can't wait until the weekend when I (hopefully) get the board in to mess around with. I have a unibios 3.0 in my AES that I'll probably throw into the 2 slot since it can already save high scores and toss a 3.1 into the AES sometime down the road. Excited!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Glad I read this entire thread. :) I just sniped a 2 slot off of eBay for dirt cheap, but it has the calendar error message. One of the possible points of failure was the battery, so I was curious as to what others have tried to fix that aspect of the system. I really can't wait until the weekend when I (hopefully) get the board in to mess around with. I have a unibios 3.0 in my AES that I'll probably throw into the 2 slot since it can already save high scores and toss a 3.1 into the AES sometime down the road. Excited!!

If it's a calendar error it's either broken trace(s), bad 4990 or bad crystal usually. Once in a great while it's something else. Either way it's usually a simple fix.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
If it's a calendar error it's either broken trace(s), bad 4990 or bad crystal usually. Once in a great while it's something else. Either way it's usually a simple fix.

Awesome, good to know. :) I read your write up on how to consolize a 2 slot and it looks like something I can get done rather cheaply on my end. Thanks again!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Awesome, good to know. :) I read your write up on how to consolize a 2 slot and it looks like something I can get done rather cheaply on my end. Thanks again!

The guide is really for noobs, which I know you are not. Consolizing a 2 slot only takes about an hour and that includes the time to drill the cover and deburr the edges, easiest board to consolize.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
About to replace the battery on my MV6. Anyone know which battery that uses? Looking at this auction, it seems to hint that it is the only board that uses something special. Anyone know what it needs? Thanks!

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The guide is really for noobs, which I know you are not. Consolizing a 2 slot only takes about an hour and that includes the time to drill the cover and deburr the edges, easiest board to consolize.

That's what I love to hear - thanks for the compliment. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I make a habit of removing the battery regardless of leakage or not. I figure they're probably 20 years old by now and the cost of a holder/3v coin cell why not?

slerch666

updyke,
So seeing this thread (I still lurk from time to time, just don't bother posting), I'm going to pull my 4 slot battery completely. Going to pop the 2 slot cab open and cut the battery there too. I don't need high scores.

One thing I'm curious about is what about the Hyper Neo? I assume I should probably be worried about that one too? I assume it's just a battery on the board and not in the games?

Thanks everyone.