Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bad battery thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The bad battery thread

Time for a reminder that everyone should check their NiCd batteries for leakage!

The solder joint should look nice and shiny and the end of the battery should look clean, like this:

HOWEVER...

BOTH ends of the battery must be checked. If the Negative side looks like this:

Then the battery MUST be replaced. Notice the fuzzy growth on the end of the battery? Is it dust? NO! The battery is leaking.

How can you tell it's not dust?

Easy. Look at the solder joint on the board. See all that crystalline fuzzy growth on it? THAT is from the leaking battery and is not dust. Compare that picture to the first one. Those are 2 pics from the same battery. BOTH solder joints should be clean and shiny.

This battery must be replaced. (and in this case was... this was a board fixed for a forum member)

If your board looks like this, then it may be too late to save:

If you have pictures of leaking batteries on your game board, post them up for everyone to see. Sometimes the only clue of a leaking battery is a discoloration on traces near it, such as when a battery just starts to leak on a 4 slot board.

RJ
    Last edited by channelmaniac; 10-11-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com

---------

I've repaired boards for many members here.

Want me to repair your arcade game board? Look here. I do MVS, AES, and many other game boards.

My repair logs are have moved to NewLifeGames.com!!!

Great post Kernow's dead DDP DOJ board saved my 4 slot MVS.

I hadn't thought of it in forever but got me to take it apart and look. I thought it was fine at first but once I got the battery out I could see some residue. I neutralized it with baking soda and cleaned it all up.

I left it out though because that is the extend of my skills. What would you charge me to do a proper battery mod on the board? I'd like one that doesn't hang out... and doesn't need to be charged or anything.

Thanks!

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Good Looking out! This may be a good thread to sticky!

NEST Puppet

Aww, rats.

You were just a few hours late on this thread. About two weeks ago, I purchased a pinball machine. I'm busy so it took until yesterday to get to the battery.

The battery looked OK from the front and still saved information. Flipped the board over...and fuzzy corrosion on the solder points for the battery. No other corrosion anywhere else as far as I could see. Close one.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Tung's Hair Stylist

probably a stupid question but where can I get these batteries?

Crossed Swords Squire

Question: I visited RadioSuck last night to pick up a 3.6v NiMH 80mah battery to replace the one on my 4-slot MB... of course RadioSuck didn't carry any PCB component type batteries in store... only available online. I sucked it up and bought a cordless phone battery... 3.6v NiMH 300mah I think it is.... I hacked that bad boy on to the MB and it appears to be working fine... is there any negatives to this setup other than it not being "stock"?

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Only thing I can think of is that it is 3 x bigger in capacity than the stock so it will take longer to get it fully charged.
    But from what I understand, the benefit is a much longer down time without losing the charge.

~Anselm~

B. Jenet's Firstmate

The battery on my PGM mobo was leaking so I removed it. I'm pretty new to all this stuff so without this thread, I'd have had a dead board in time for sure due to ignorance. Thanks for all the great info guys. Anyways, I see that when you are going to replace a neo mobo's battery you need to remove that 470 resistor. Does anyone have a pic or a link to a tutorial that shows what kind of modifications need to be made to a PGM mobo before putting in the new coin cell battery?

ok replacing the battery on my 2 1-slots now i think i read through these pages that you have to remove the resistor marked 470 (im using coin holder with non rechareable battery) which is next to the battery on my MV-1FT but on my 1FZ its a 470 capacitor next to the board.

Just making sure before i do something i regret

bri
    Last edited by bwi; 11-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    George is mine

Timid Neo Newbie

Speaking of powersupplies does anyone know if a Japanese Neo Geo will work with an Australian powersource

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

My MV-1AX has a spot welded coin cell battery, mounted horizontally. What are the chances of it leaking? Thing is it is working perfectly right now and I fear this factory-looking battery will leak even if it's lithium-based. Should I buy a battery replacement mod from JNX and replace it anyway?

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMachineGun View Post
    My MV-1AX has a spot welded coin cell battery, mounted horizontally. What are the chances of it leaking? Thing is it is working perfectly right now and I fear this factory-looking battery will leak even if it's lithium-based. Should I buy a battery replacement mod from JNX and replace it anyway?
    As stated all over this thread, you should ALWAYS replace that factory battery. What do you value more, a factory-looking battery or a fully working board without corrosion and damage?
    If you care about the looking, you can locate the battery holder on the lower face of the board.
    "appleTV-like" Consolized NeoGeo MVS builder (take a look here)

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

Hmm, I see your point. Yes, a $3 battery mod sure beats paying $60+ for a replacement MVS board. I think I will also attach long wires to the battery so it can stay far away from the main board.

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

Sure. If you're going to do the wire thing (don't forget the diode), be sure to isolate the wires/battery/poles. It could make a disaster if some possitive (+) touch everywhere (-) on the board.
    "appleTV-like" Consolized NeoGeo MVS builder (take a look here)

I just picked up neo MV1FZS it works good but i want to replace the stock button cell with a new 3 volt lithium rechargeable with
    a coin cell holder . Do I need to worry about losing bios when I remove old and install new ? Also at this time I cannot change the
    calander , it's stuck on 2010

Thanks ahead of time

richard3158

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by richard3158 View Post
    i want to replace the stock button cell with a new 3 volt lithium rechargeable with a coin cell holder. Do I need to worry about losing bios when I remove old and install new?
    Afaik the Neo puts out 3.6V through the recharge circuit, so you should be using a 3.6V rechargeable coin cell as well. In most cases you will loose the bios settings (including high scores) when you remove the battery. Sometimes if you're fast and a charge is kept on the bios, you will not, but that has only happened to me once and I find it kind of scary.

How the calender can be stuck, I do not know. Normally you should be able to change the year as well.

Pupil of Bonus-Kun

Hi All,
    Sorry if this has already been answered before but my home internet connection is currently down so I couldn’t make a proper search, anyhow in a nutshell: a while ago my 4 slot MVS’s battery died so I removed it to avoid any leakage (it was a 3.6V 50mAh Ni-Cd battery).

Recently I start looking for a replacement but the only available battery my local store has in stock is a 3.6V 250mAh Ni-Mh. Will this battery work as well? Thanks in advance

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this has already been answered before but my home internet connection is currently down so I couldn’t make a proper search, anyhow in a nutshell: a while ago my 4 slot MVS’s battery died so I removed it to avoid any leakage (it was a 3.6V 50mAh Ni-Cd battery).

Recently I start looking for a replacement but the only available battery my local store has in stock is a 3.6V 250mAh Ni-Mh. Will this battery work as well? Thanks in advance
    Yes, it will. It also has a higher capacity which is a plus.

Kula's Candy

I haven't had a chance to look at my recent MVS-4 board yet, Yikes! looks like ill have to pull it out this week to check. Thanks for the info! Post pictures when I do.

Kula's Candy

I finally got around to pulling my boards apart here is a pic of my battery.

It looks really good on top, still wondering about the bottom. Who ever decided to glue mine in went freaking nuts. I am not quite sure how to pull this glue off any tips? I am also afraid to do this solder job myself since I have little experience in soldering board components.

Need a custom CMVS, supergun, or a repair? Looking for arcade parts and tutorials? www.JammaNationX.com has all this and much more!

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

try applying some alcohol (methylated spirits is OK too) with q-tips to loosen the glue.

Thread Information