Deathsmiles: Tips, Scores, Strategies...

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Kraten and Olson, what are your scores on the normal version?

I just hit 100 million on the regualr version.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
im still getting hurt, but i can consistently make it to 4-1 again. Best is round 41million, need to work on the scoring to guarantee the continue.

I'm doing something wrong.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
im still getting hurt, but i can consistently make it to 4-1 again. Best is round 41million, need to work on the scoring to guarantee the continue.

I'm doing something wrong.

69dc136c.jpg

OK, here is the best way to get both extends.

Start the game on Level 1 or 2, Train.

Build your meter to 1000 and do not go into fever mode, just beat Mary and thats it - LEAVE THE METER AT 1000.

Next - select the Volcano stage, level 3... dodge everything until you get to that big boulder slinging rock formation... as soon as you see the green eyeballs you know you're there.

I wait a few seconds then use the right side of the screen, go into fever, back up against the right side and milk as much as you can - dont dick around too long - there are 2 more areas that sling rocks that you can milk.

I usually leave that stage with 45million + points and both extends.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
69dc136c.jpg

OK, here is the best way to get both extends.

Start the game on Level 1 or 2, Train.

Build your meter to 1000 and do not go into fever mode, just beat Mary and thats it - LEAVE THE METER AT 1000.

Next - select the Volcano stage, level 3... dodge everything until you get to that big boulder slinging rock formation... as soon as you see the green eyeballs you know you're there.

I wait a few seconds then use the right side of the screen, go into fever, back up against the right side and milk as much as you can - dont dick around too long - there are 2 more areas that sling rocks that you can milk.

I usually leave that stage with 45million + points and both extends.

thanks i might try that. I tend to do the volcano second to get it out of the way, but i tend to do it at rank 1 or 2. Guess I need to change it up a bit. I'll let ya know how it goes

agustusx

Marked Wolf
I tried the volcano trick at lunch and was able to get over 30 million by the end of 1-2.

I had to hurry up and get back to work so I ended up dying prematurely. I'm hoping for more improvement when I get home for the night.

BTW, when your in powerup mode do you let the crowns drop so they can split into skulls? I've read that gives you more points.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
56,706,651 4-1 follett

I made a lot of mistakes in the run but I think i'm getting into the grove.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
56,706,651 4-1 follett

I made a lot of mistakes in the run but I think i'm getting into the grove.

Try Rosa.

And I don't let the items hit the ground unless I'm in fever mode.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
since im just trying to bump my score out of the low 60mil, is there another stage i should exploit for points. I've gotten the volcano stage down fairly well, but i guess im not doing it well enough to get 45 mill every time. Its ok, i tend to pick up the rest somewhere else, but I was wondering if I am missing a good easy 20 mill on another stage.

When I watch the high scorers on the xbox leaderboards it seems like they can get 20+ mill on every stage, but they are on a whole nother level.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
since im just trying to bump my score out of the low 60mil, is there another stage i should exploit for points. I've gotten the volcano stage down fairly well, but i guess im not doing it well enough to get 45 mill every time. Its ok, i tend to pick up the rest somewhere else, but I was wondering if I am missing a good easy 20 mill on another stage.

When I watch the high scorers on the xbox leaderboards it seems like they can get 20+ mill on every stage, but they are on a whole nother level.

Well the bad thing is since I just picked up a MBL kit, I'm pretty much going to destroy my scores posted here, depending on how difficult the game is.

And here is my route on the regular version - should net you 100 million.

- Train, Level 1 - I pick level one so I don't make any stupid mistakes - just build your item meter to 1000 and move on to...

- Volcano, Level 3 - you know all about this - so lets move on to...

- Forest, Level 2 - play through and build your meter up to 1000, be careful not to get hit or your item meter will fall by 300 points every time you lose a block.

- Graveyard, Level 3 - Activate your fever at the green ogre, this enables you to get a life powerup, maybe, and you get to milk the house for all its worth - plus Jordan is easy as hell.

- Dock, Level 3 - just build the item meter here to 1000, and fight Death - he's pretty easy, in first form if you are Rosa, just dodge and shoot at him, he dies very quickly and moves onto the second form where he spins the pumpkins at you - if you are Rosa, you can plant yourself against the right side of the screen and shoot - nothing will hit you and he dies before the pumpkins get to you, trust me. 3rd form, just pay attention to the sickle position and dodge while shooting...

- Lake, Level 3 - Activate your fever mode when you see the two ghost things that rest on the ground. one will be on a lower ledge, and one will be at the very top of the same ledge, there will also be 2 swarms of red eyes. This way you can milk all that and milk the car - it yields a bunch of points and a bomb.

NO EX MODE unless you dont want to 1CC it. (or if you are an expert player, you can try)

EX STAGE if you want to try [NOTE: if you play through this stage, you WILL have suicide bullets on the Final stage] - during the vertical climb, build your meter to 1000 and as soo as you start scrolling to the right, unleash it. There will be a swarm of enemies and a mid stage boss to milk. I still have not found a good spot for the second fever after I build it up.

FINAL STAGE - If you went through EX mode, then you have suicide bullets and can build your meter faster - you don't need my help here. If you skipped EX, you should be clsoe to 1000 - just hit fever as soon as you start, you'll get a few million on the first part of the stage... you will then get to a zombie Mary (cow), wait to unleash your meter. after you pass through the "gate" after beating Mary, you will scroll vertically and fight some knights and blue ogres - WAIT! As soon as you start scrolling horizontal again, unleash fever - you will milk a series of HUGE ogres, and net a ton of points.. build the meter up again. After the ogres, you will scroll vertically again - wait! As soon as you start scrolling horizontal again, do the fever - you will get a bunch of enemies and a few HUGE ogres. Then you move on to part 2 of the final stage - Once you get into the dance hall, build your items up as quickly as you can. And go into fever - shoot everything.

You will fight the last boss and hopefully you can beat him on one credit.

DON'T CONTINUE, your score will be gone.

This should net you at LEAST 100 million points.

These are my routes, and I'm still learning the game.

You can get much higher with practice.

Last edited:

agustusx

Marked Wolf
thanks I'll give it a few more trys at lunch.

I see a lot of people get those sick 500mil scores using the recharge trick, but from what I've read its a pain and a milisecond of timing means the world of difference. So I'm ignoring that and just trying to play without the recharge.

I've seen people with 100mil by 1-2 getting most of that on the volcano. I'd be happy with breaking 100mil so I don't have to see the default hiscore :)

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
thanks I'll give it a few more trys at lunch.

I see a lot of people get those sick 500mil scores using the recharge trick, but from what I've read its a pain and a milisecond of timing means the world of difference. So I'm ignoring that and just trying to play without the recharge.

I've seen people with 100mil by 1-2 getting most of that on the volcano. I'd be happy with breaking 100mil so I don't have to see the default hiscore :)

Default high is only 1 million.

And I need to research this recharge you are talking about...

agustusx

Marked Wolf
regarding the default hiscore, maybe its the xbox score attack mode that defaults at 100mil, ill check later.

The recharge trick keeps you counter @ 1000 after its depleted. So instead of starting your powerup mode in the middle of volcano, you start at the begining of the stage. By the time you are at that middle rock, your counter is less than 300, but with some timing and a bit of arcane knowledge you can get it back to 1000 extending your powerup mode for the entire stage. The trick is consuming a ton of gold crowns at the end of your powerup mode. Some suggest bombing at the end, some say be sure to destroy tons of green eyeballs before the counters down, but I have yet to get the timing down. I have seen it in videos but can't replicate myself. Additionally I have read you need to hold down the lock shot until the bomb is gone.

here is the thread i found the most discussion on the recharge tactic. http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0

From what I have read its not needed in MBL, so some players never go back to vanilla DS and forget about the tactic.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
regarding the default hiscore, maybe its the xbox score attack mode that defaults at 100mil, ill check later.

The recharge trick keeps you counter @ 1000 after its depleted. So instead of starting your powerup mode in the middle of volcano, you start at the begining of the stage. By the time you are at that middle rock, your counter is less than 300, but with some timing and a bit of arcane knowledge you can get it back to 1000 extending your powerup mode for the entire stage. The trick is consuming a ton of gold crowns at the end of your powerup mode. Some suggest bombing at the end, some say be sure to destroy tons of green eyeballs before the counters down, but I have yet to get the timing down.

From what I have read its not needed in MBL, so some players never go back to vanilla DS and forget about the tactic.

Setting off a bomb depletes your meter in a matter of seconds.

I have to look this up.

01c93add.jpg

Those are my 3 best so far - nothing too special, but something to shoot for.

I can't wait for MBL.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
i tried to ninja edit my post but you beat me to it. check that link out

Ok, I get what they are saying...

if you end up coming out of fewver mode, you want to have as many orange crowns on the screen as possible, they will bump up your meter.

Its not realy a recharge trick, but how well you can time coming out of powerup mode and having the crowns on the screen.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
The big trick is not bombing on Jitterbug at all, that way you get that birthday cake which is more than enough health (i.e., bombs) to take out Tyrannosatan. Just gotta keep the lock on that fucker from the beginning of the battle and he'll go down eventually with no problem because of all the slowdown.

That being said, is there official word on the bonus you get for life/bombs at the very end? I've heard speculation but...

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Well I'm officially done with the original DS, All-Clear with Rosa and 76.6mil. Not much of a score but I decided to try MBL afterwards, and I'm not going back to the original.

MBL is much more fun. Glad I played the original mode long enough to really appreciate the differences. Not that I can seriously play lvl 999, but having an extra character, stage and more flexible scoring system = more fun. Even just playing at lvl3 its like a whole new game.

Best score is 235mil with Sakura dying on the Ice palace. Hit 191mil on Last boss with Folliet. The dino was so close to dead so I know a CC is waiting in MBL.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Well I'm officially done with the original DS, All-Clear with Rosa and 76.6mil. Not much of a score but I decided to try MBL afterwards, and I'm not going back to the original.

MBL is much more fun. Glad I played the original mode long enough to really appreciate the differences. Not that I can seriously play lvl 999, but having an extra character, stage and more flexible scoring system = more fun. Even just playing at lvl3 its like a whole new game.

Best score is 235mil with Sakura dying on the Ice palace. Hit 191mil on Last boss with Folliet. The dino was so close to dead so I know a CC is waiting in MBL.

My MBL kit should be here today or tomorrow.

I cant. fucking. wait.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
25edabcf.jpg

I need some tips for this game.

I'm trying to figure all the shit out on my own...

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Yeah the rules changed a bit in this one.

You should always let the skulls fall and break now
You can raise the counter if your option intersects with boss
Powerup at 1000 makes you more powerful than powering up at 500

and in great detail
http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=490.0

I really like the ice stage. Wish I could pick it first :)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Necro bump!

Did a search, and couldn't find the general thread.

Finally got a chance to play this and it's pretty badass.

Looking forward to the NA 360 port.:buttrock:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Bump. Thought this deserved to be on the front page, with so many of us playing DS NA 360.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Well, I raised my high score from 7 billion to 28+ billion in MBL 1.1. 4-A kills me everytime so I usually go to 4-B then the final level. Still need to find a way to beat the boss of 4-B without getting hit so many times. I usually just escape with a sliver of life left.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I'm still scoring like total shit in this game even after following TonK's advice. The last run I did was 94,931,901 (this is regular) and I've seen EASILLY 30 mil higher than that.