Champions Online

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
Anyone playing this? I've hit it pretty hard. Great game. It's got a few bugs to work out, but nothing no other MMO hasn't had at launch. It's a lot like City of Heroes, but with a little Ultimate Alliance mixed in. You can pretty much choose any powers you want, and certain traditional classes are not required given that enemies often drop health, defense, energy, and offensive power ups.

I had a rough time at first because I didn't get which stats effected what powers, but now that I've got that more it's working out better for me. Still, I need to save up some cash so that I can retcon and reassign a few early stats. Sadly retconning is crazy expensive.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Did they change the combat in the game? I was in the closed BETA and it was fucking terrible. I played it three times and said what I thought was wrong with it and never went back. I hated how you could have every power in the game and you pretty much just hit 1 and you could beat the game.

I really want to play DC Universe when they come out with a BETA for it, hopefully. They're being really secretive about it. I think what pissed me off more was that I had a choice of Champions or DC when I was at Comic Con and I picked Champions because I'm a City vet, and I really wish I went to a different game instead.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Merge, pls.

I got 2 characters on there right now: Sally the Steppin' Razor and Future Man Bzzarp. I'm really digging the game right now, especially since I have several people I can team with on a constant basis, but I can also just as easily solo.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
Did they change the combat in the game? I was in the closed BETA and it was fucking terrible. I played it three times and said what I thought was wrong with it and never went back. I hated how you could have every power in the game and you pretty much just hit 1 and you could beat the game.

I really want to play DC Universe when they come out with a BETA for it, hopefully. They're being really secretive about it. I think what pissed me off more was that I had a choice of Champions or DC when I was at Comic Con and I picked Champions because I'm a City vet, and I really wish I went to a different game instead.

They combat is about the same. I love that you can pick whatever powers you like, adds a lot of variety to the creation of your character. My munitions character really only uses Two Gun Mojo, but that is because I've accented the power with other abilities that make it a lot more deadly. However, I can do so much more with Mini Mines as well. I made a support character, I've only got one real attack aside from the energy builder, but that's because I took an AoE Hold, Heal, and Force Field powers.

They did change up one thing from beta, which was the way defensive powers worked. Previously they said they were way too good, so they all got nerfed a good bit. Which of course prevents thing from being nearly as easy. If my support character didn't have crowd control powers, I would have never made it as far as he has. If my munitions character didn't accent his powers to do more damage, he would have been in the same boat. In short, you do need to know what you are doing a bit with characters now, because just picking random powers will not go well. You'll end up getting your ass kicked by three henchmen.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I really was getting into it up until about now. That halloween event sucks ass though and the lame ass pvp pretty much killed me on it when I found out you needed to go through that crap to get your holiday perks.
If I wanted to fight players I would just play some samurai showdown or streetfighter. I never could get behind pvp in an mmo like that. It always is clunky and feels like an afterthought from my experiences.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Me and my friend are currently playing this but we both ran out of quests at level 30. The only thing left it grind to the new quests or do the repeating quests. Grinding is no fun so its on hold until they bring out more content.

For the 2 months we played it was really fun and I would have played till the cap if there were enough quests. I love the flying powers and how you can take on multiple guys at once. The nemesis quests were a let down hopefully they will further expand it down the road.

Its pretty cool how you can save multiple costumes as the items you pick up don't show on your character. Overall its one of the most fun MMO's I have played just not enough content

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
I was lucky enough to find groups farming the werewolf/hunter stuff, so that eased that up a lot. I tried getting the zombie FoxBat action figure, but the drop rate on that was ridiculously low.

Still, I managed to get all the event perks sans 'Sea Wolf', since I can't get into Lemuria yet. I had fun with the event, though.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Sorry to bump a slightly-dated thread, but my visits to neo-geo.com have been increasingly sporadic of late. As a fan of the old pen-&-dice Champions RPG -- and as a City of Heroes player -- I've been having a lot of fun with Champions Online. My one real complaint with the game so far has been: not enough of the old villains from the 1980s RPG sourcebooks. If any of the folks in this thread is still playing Champions Online, feel free to add me to your friends list: @Dash_no_Chris

Looking forward to DC Online, too.

BTW, AncientFlounder: what's up with the new n-g.com account name?

--Chris

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
Sorry to bump a slightly-dated thread, but my visits to neo-geo.com have been increasingly sporadic of late. As a fan of the old pen-&-dice Champions RPG -- and as a City of Heroes player -- I've been having a lot of fun with Champions Online. My one real complaint with the game so far has been: not enough of the old villains from the 1980s RPG sourcebooks. If any of the folks in this thread is still playing Champions Online, feel free to add me to your friends list: @Dash_no_Chris

Looking forward to DC Online, too.

BTW, AncientFlounder: what's up with the new n-g.com account name?

--Chris

I gotta fit in with the Detroit motif. It was either this or Shaggy 2 Dope.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I was playing it like mad, got my main character up to LVL 79 and got kind of burnt out on playing through the scenarios in Vibora Bay, solo-ing. The reason I love(d) this game so much was the ability to create (almost actually) any look for your character you want, and Cryptic's cheap fee to change your name, and sorta-relatively cheap fee to do a complete power re-spec. I make great costume and look combinations, mostly because I am really addicted to/challenged by getting creative while working within the limitations of the mix-n-match creation system. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I am the best character designer out of all the players in the game, no lie. Not to mention I can make just about ANY existing comic/movie character (this isn't technically allowed by Cryptic, but I don't really make big/popular characters that anyone would recognize)- I even made fucking Rorschach from Watchmen, and you ain't getting any closer within the creation system making that bastard. It's just the face/mask part really, but OMG what a pain in the ass.