Stereo sound from Rev2?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ah, crap. In looking at the diagram in the Rev2 manual, it would appear that the cab is wired strictly for JAMMA. This is all I need. I suck at soldering. :(
Yeah, I was about to say that from reading your last post. MVS has stereo on the jamma connector, so that's the other difference from standard jamma, not just the test switch and the extra buttons. If you want to do stereo that way, you really should just get the cab wired correctly for MVS.

I'm not sure I'd bother though, personally, since that would only be good for the MVS and the Hyper. I own so many jamma stereo boards. I'd probably just wire custom connectors or something for the speakers so I could hook up loose stereo wires from all my different boards.

If I ever owned a cab, I'd probably wire the speakers to something like this and then just get to work stripping the wires for all my stereo connectors on the boards.
Speaker_Level_In-Out.jpg

This is totally my hypothetical plan I'm imagining now. You can ignore this.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The adapter is pointless. It is basically doing what the Hyper is already doing, having an MVS pinout with an external exit for the audio. Just buy th JST connector for the audio output.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Didn't realise the hyper had a connector, well it doesn't if you have to buy one I guess, I take it you'd just wire it up instead of the phono connector mod someone did earlier?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The Hyper Rev2 has no separate audio connector, unfortunately. But anyway.

Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

JAMMA has pin L as Speaker (-) and pin 10 as Speaker (+).
MVS pinout has pin L as Speaker L (+) and pin 10 as Speaker R (+).

So could I solder wires from pins L and 10 on the harness to an external male plug, like what's on my MV-1T board and the (-) to GND on the harness?

Also, does anyone know what part # that type of plug would be (assuming I'm on the right track)?

Deuce

Isn't the second connector speaker out?

What second connector? The little connector next to the volume potentiometer is an expansion port, not an audio out. According to the manual, there is no dedicated audio out connector.

Deuce

Okay, here are the diagrams, scanned from my Japanese Rev2 manual.

HyperRev2-Topfront.gif

And the underside view.

HyperRev2-Bottom.gif

This is what they are listed as being, on the same page.

1 - 3.96 pitch 56 pin card edge connector (JAMMA-compliant)
2 - Game Cartridge Connector
3 - Versus Harness Connector
4 - Lock lever
5 - Audio volume
6 - JAMMA/MVS Conversion Switch A
7 - JAMMA/MVS Conversion Switch B
8 - Unused
9 - Expansion Port
10 - Expansion Port
11 - Expansion Port
12 - Expansion Port
13 - Dip switches (unused)
14 - Push lever
15 - Expansion Port

dogworth

Kuroko's Training Dummy
the tan connector labled as 15 is audio out. just look at thegreathopper's pic where he soldered. need the part number for that.

Deuce

So it would appear. I guess the manual has it mislabeled (拡張端子). Ugh. And I've no clue where to even begin looking for the part. :(

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So the Rev 2 doesn't have the same audio connector as the Rev 1 then?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just PM MKL he could probably make you something up, the guys a legend. :)

Deuce

They want HOW much again for the crimping tool? o_O

I don't suppose there's a way to just order an adapter to suit my needs, is there?

dogworth

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MKL is the man. the part number is much appreciated.

They want HOW much again for the crimping tool? o_O

I don't suppose there's a way to just order an adapter to suit my needs, is there?

i could make you one. i just ordered a bunch of connectors from digikey, but they are back ordered and the estimated ship day is 9/9. i have a ton of crimp tools and one of them should do the job. what do you want on the end, a molex connector or just leads?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Deuce

i could make you one. i just ordered a bunch of connectors from digikey, but they are back ordered and the estimated ship day is 9/9. i have a ton of crimp tools and one of them should do the job. what do you want on the end, a molex connector or just leads?

My Egret has a connector which fits perfectly onto the speaker connector of my MV-1T board (which, looking at your sig, I see you have), and that's what I use for my MVS stereo sound. If you made a short (3-4" maybe?) cable to plug into the Hyper, and the other end into the Egret cable, I'd imagine that would work...?

And I would gladly pay you for this kind service. Particularly if you wouldn't mind making me a backup. :) Thanks, dude.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
My Egret has a connector which fits perfectly onto the speaker connector of my MV-1T board (which, looking at your sig, I see you have), and that's what I use for my MVS stereo sound. If you made a short (3-4" maybe?) cable to plug into the Hyper, and the other end into the Egret cable, I'd imagine that would work...?

The Egret 2 F connector (that you are using) is wired directly (through the mono/stereo switch) to the speakers. It's supposed to be plugged into the stereo connector on Taito F3 boards which is an amplified output. The MVS headphones connector isn't line out but the amplification level isn't ideal to drive cab speakers (not on a par with the amplification level from the jamma) and if the stereo connector on the HNG64 is actually line out (as claimed here) the sound you'll be getting will be really faint.

Deuce

We'd have to see if it's amplified by the volume pot right next to it. I have a hunch that it is. If it's on par with the speaker out
(not the headphone out) on the MV-1T, it should be just fine, since I don't need to crank the volume up very loud. Maybe thegreathopper can shed some light on whether or not that potentiometer affects the volume output of his mod...?

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I am pretty sure the pot affects the volume I will put it in my cab tomorrow and confirm either way.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I've got a switch on my cab so i can switch from Mono for Jamma to Stereo for the 4slot and i get Stereo from the Hyper with it on MVS mode.

The switch actually says Mono/Jamma or 2Ch/MVS.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
We'd have to see if it's amplified by the volume pot right next to it. I have a hunch that it is. If it's on par with the speaker out
(not the headphone out) on the MV-1T, it should be just fine, since I don't need to crank the volume up very loud. Maybe thegreathopper can shed some light on whether or not that potentiometer affects the volume output of his mod...?

The Volume pot does control the volume of output plug (15), it is amplified so not line out at a guess I would say it is for a headphone socket, not powerful enough to drive speakers but great as an input to another amp if you keep the Volume pot below half way.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've got a switch on my cab so i can switch from Mono for Jamma to Stereo for the 4slot and i get Stereo from the Hyper with it on MVS mode.

The switch actually says Mono/Jamma or 2Ch/MVS.

In case you didn't figure it out, like NeoDragoN said there is a switch on the bottom of the Hyper. Now remember there are 2 switches, one changes the pinout to MVS and one changes the sound output from mono to stereo.

I was bored today so I took a pic.

h64rev2stereo.jpg