Stereo sound from Rev2?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Any idea how to do this? Is the separate stereo connector a standard-size plug? Ie. is there a particular part number I can take down to Radio Shack and pick up to get and hook into my Egret? I hate having to use Mono sound from the Jamma edge... :(

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You might be able to flick it to MVS mode, connect the F 6 pin connector or P 4 pin connector in your cab to the hyper motherboard, or you might have to get an MVS to JAMMA adaptor card and run the stereo off that.

(Thats what I do to get stereo on my four slot in a candy cab, using one of the existing connectors).

Look around your JAMMA harness, there should be an F and P molex. Those are the stereo speaker connectors.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I've not done this myself, but I'm about to look into it. It should be as easy as:
1. Look on hardmvs wiring for Jamma vs. MVS, and
2. basically go backwards with the sound wiring from their Jamma-to-MVS sound conversion

Deuce

Well, there is a speaker connector in the cab, but neither connector fits the speaker connector on the Rev2... hence my confusion. I'm hoping they're just two standard part types, so building an adapter will be a simple affair.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
That adaptor board is the one I have for my four slot, I also then have a cable which fits from the stereo header on that (when you set the adaptor to stereo) into the F connector on my cab as they connections are a different order. Shouldn't be impossible its just going to take a few wires and connectors :(

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Do you have the Rev2 confused with the Rev1? The Rev2 has stereo from the jamma edge in MVS mode. The Rev1 is the one that uses an auxiliary connector. That's what the connector in your cab is for.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
The Rev 2 does have a four pin auxilliary connector on the side of the board that I have tapped off of in the past for sound. I don't have the board on me, but it is definitely possible to not switch the board to MVS and still get stereo via the external connector.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The Rev 2 does have a four pin auxilliary connector on the side of the board that I have tapped off of in the past for sound. I don't have the board on me, but it is definitely possible to not switch the board to MVS and still get stereo via the external connector.
Good to know. That's what I would hope. That way you can still connect a Rev 2 in an old Hyper cab.

I didn't have Deuce's problem because my new Rev 1 came with the cable. I'm probably the only one I know on these boards who's using a Rev 1 with a supergun, and with stereo sound to boot.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just leave it as Jamma mono. When I play an arcade game mono and stereo don't really make a difference to me. The only time I need advanced audio is when I'm playing a game where I need to be able to hear someone coming from the side or back of me like Call of Duty. Otherwise it's a hassle for bragging rights really.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just leave it as Jamma mono. When I play an arcade game mono and stereo don't really make a difference to me. The only time I need advanced audio is when I'm playing a game where I need to be able to hear someone coming from the side or back of me like Call of Duty. Otherwise it's a hassle for bragging rights really.

Dude.

MVS in stereo is way better than in mono. Play something like Samurai shodown and its instantly apparent.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I always make MVS in stereo when playing on a setup where the speakers are at least 5ft apart. On a cab, meh. To me it's weird when you hear both channels at the same time from the same ear since the speakers are close together. Plus a lot of games only have some efects in stereo.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Just leave it as Jamma mono. When I play an arcade game mono and stereo don't really make a difference to me.
Sorry, man. That's quitter talk. I've made stereo harnesses for all of my games that have a stereo option. I must have at least 4 or 5 different cables that run from boards directly to the TV now. If the programmers bothered to make it stereo, I won't settle for anything less. I will sit and worry about it the whole time while I play if I don't get it hooked up. That's why if I had a cab I'd probably have a mess of splicing on the speaker wires.

Deuce

My ears are sharp, and I can pick up the (lack of) stereo separation easily. It just seems foolish to have the MVS wired for stereo and the Hyper not, when the option is there. Otherwise, why bother putting stereo sound in at all?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well if the MVS is wired for stereo and works in the cab as stereo then flip it to MVS on the Rev 2 so it's plug and play.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Hyper

Only just spotted this post.

I have modded my Hyper 64 ver 2 with Phono plugs for Stereo sound with line output it sounds great, I will post a pic if anyone is interested in doing the mod.

It is very simple.

Deuce

I'm certainly curious.

My thing is this: If I set the board to MVS/Stereo and flip the switch on the cab to stereo sound, I get absolutely no sound at all. If I leave the cab on mono, the sound is hollow, like it's phase-inverted (most likely because it's only picking up a single channel). I thought the JAMMA harness was only capable of carrying a single audio channel in the first place?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It sounds hollow because it's only grabbing the right channel. Sounds like the switch on your cab is miswired maybe.

What diagram did you use?

Deuce

Honestly, I didn't use any diagram. I haven't touched the wiring on the cab. It's just as it came when I got it. It was part of the group buy done by Bibliophile.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Rev2

All I have done is picked up Right and Left off of the back of this socket and it works great. My mod is the red and yellow cables connected to two phono sockets.

AAWGD-DSCN5933.JPG

Deuce

Ah, crap. In looking at the diagram in the Rev2 manual, it would appear that the cab is wired strictly for JAMMA. This is all I need. I suck at soldering. :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oh shit, ya I forgot about that. The only thing that moves is the test switch I believe.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I still don't get why you can't buy an MVS to JAMMA adaptor card, and then wire the sound off the adaptor / put the Hyper in MVS mode with the switch, theres even a connector which will fit and work exactly. I've never known of anyone using that MVS adaptor with a hyper mind you, but if its emulating an MVS board I don't see what the problem is. :scratch:

Deuce

Where would such a thing be had, and how much would it run me?