Neo-geo stick to USB?

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Is it possible to make a connector to will allow me to use my neo sticks with my pc via usb?
I don't wanna hack up a stick, I just want to make something I can plug them into that would interface with usb.

I did some searching and saw something about using a Saturn usb pad To do basically what I am trying to do, but seems like all the links to the instructions are dead.

Can anyone help?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You can also use a Neo Geo Stick 2 with a PS2->USB adaptor. But obviously it would cheaper to use an original AES stick(and some kind of adaptor thing).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cheapest way would be to hack a ps2 controller and solder to the points in the stick and then use a PSX to USB converter, overall cost is about $15. But of course using a USB game pad like MKL does would be cheaper.

It seems to me that the Neo stick isn't nice enough to go through the bother.

Why not get a nice stick that's already setup for USB?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It seems to me that the Neo stick isn't nice enough to go through the bother.

Why not get a nice stick that's already setup for USB?
what do u mean it isn't nice enough? the original AES sticks are just as nice as any arcade sticks u can get.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Well, I have 2 AES sticks already...no sense in buying a usb neo stick if I can do it for cheaper.

I like those sticks. Much better playing games with those than a gamepad.

Spion

New Challenger
I bought a "Tokn KB10 Classic Arcade Control Interface" which is a keyboard input (ps2) for this same reason. Cost me about $30 with shipping, has 4 button inputs, coin, start, power led, and stick directions. Its similar to the one that is posted just not USB. I don't want to hack off an end of a joystick so I haven't hooked it up yet. I have 2 CD pads that I was going to test first and I lost them in my room of electronics crap. Have no idea where they are, I'm pretty mad can't find them. :blow_top:

Spion

New Challenger
This is my plan, Neo Stick into Comp, without modding stick.

Taking a really old computer joystick that has the "IBM" reversed NeoGeo connecter. Cutting that wire long then connecting that into my Tokn 10 connector. What I need is a electrical diaghram in plug veiw of Neo Geo. Anyone have that?

Spion

New Challenger
Great that was exactly what I need. Another question I've noticed a lot of different controllers use the same colors. Is there a standard for the wire colors? Also is there a site I can find the Neo Pad color codes?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Great that was exactly what I need. Another question I've noticed a lot of different controllers use the same colors. Is there a standard for the wire colors? Also is there a site I can find the Neo Pad color codes?

Sometimes pinouts change via color so it's best to use a multimeter to make sure the pin is correct. I had 2 belkin DB15 cables once and both had the same color wires inside but were wired differently.

Spion

New Challenger
Yeah, I found a post with the Neo wire colors, but they don't match what the IBM wire codes are.

Hook the Tokn board up just guessing at the wires and I have no power in the joystick. Going to have to be a long trial and error to get this thing to work.

Also have a Hori SS fighting stick I'm thinking if modding to work for a Neo.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
I found some cheap "ps2 style" usb controllers on ebay for <5 each...so, just need to get some db15's and get to work. :)

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
What did you search under to find them on ebay?

Fett

Camel Slug
what do u mean it isn't nice enough? the original AES sticks are just as nice as any arcade sticks u can get.

LAWL
I have a Madcatz TE that works great for PS3 & PC. Uses Sanwa joystick and buttons. Quite a bit pricier than your $5 ebay sticks though. If the AES stick makes you happy go for it, seeking perfection just makes you poorer. :help:

I was however disappointed to find that it won't work for PS2 games being played on a PS3. Guess I'll have to get a ps2 emulator for PC.

For me it comes down to fun vs. competitiveness. I have crappy old Happ sticks in my MVS and enjoy the shit out of it, but for a newer game you really want to get good at sub-standard sticks wont do.

Last edited:

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Help?

I can't find db15 connectors.
Stupidly, I thought Radio Shack would have something to do with electronics and carry these.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can get them from mouser. They are in the parts thread sticky.

Spion

New Challenger
My Tokn adapter doesn't seem to work nice.

And I lost the other post about I made when I was drinking.

Instead of destroying a controller with a usb end what about cutting into a usb cable?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My Tokn adapter doesn't seem to work nice.

And I lost the other post about I made when I was drinking.

Instead of destroying a controller with a usb end what about cutting into a usb cable?

You can just cut a USB cable but you need to know the pinout.