MVS Converter II for AES Question

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
:) Hi there. I just received my Neo Geo MVS Converter II (blue light) newest version. It works mint with one exception. Metal Slug X is the only game I have that doesn't work. I've read everywhere that every games should work. And they all work mint, except for Metal Slug X. When I try to play Metal Slug X I get a ticking sound and I tried using the dial with the screwdriver and that didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKfx0Uu4Jc&feature=related

this is a video showing what it does when I try it. Only other thing I can think of if I need that special ac adaptor which I shouldn't need because My Pow 3 is 10V and you are suppose to only need that if you have a 5V ac adaptor. Any suggestions??:scratch:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't think there's any way of fixing it, unless you get another AES console that works with Metal Slug X and the MVS Converter 2.
Metal Slug X is a game that's different from other MVS games, it uses extra power from the PCB. Maybe someone else on this board would know what to do about Metal Slug X and the Super MVS 2- eg BIG BEAR, Neo Alec. Maybe another power supply can fix it. There are threads on this board that mention this issue, try using the Search function.
I have a 9V Euro PAL system and MSX works fine on it(with the dark blue converter that u have).

Last edited:

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Thanks for the help. I can't figure out where to use the seach function?

WilalvesBR

NEST Puppet
Only other thing I can think of if I need that special ac adaptor which I shouldn't need because My Pow 3 is 10V and you are suppose to only need that if you have a 5V ac adaptor.

Wrong.

Consoles with original 5V 3A ac adaptor doesn't need the special ac adaptor to run Metal Slug X.

Consoles with original 9V/10V/11V ac adaptor may need the special ac adaptor to run Metal Slug X.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Thanks for the help. I can't figure out where to use the seach function?

search.png

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I wish I could find someone with a similar problem if they bought that special ac adaptor and if it actually worked for them?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Pick up a 9v ,9.5v adapter with a minimum amperage of 2.1
I believe this may solve the problem.
BB

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm not aware of the AC adapter fixing that problem. If you "read everywhere" that it will work with every game, then you didn't research this converter enough. No matter how you slice it, you're going to be less than satisfied with this converter.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm not aware of the AC adapter fixing that problem. If you "read everywhere" that it will work with every game, then you didn't research this converter enough. No matter how you slice it, you're going to be less than satisfied with this converter.
there's no way anyone can be 100% satisfied with it, as it's not perfect. the only problems i get with the super mvs 2 on my AES are scaling issues, but even those, i only really find them annoying on the Last Blade games. but it's still way better than not having an MVS converter.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Last Blade looks ugly with the scaling issues. It's akin to playing a glitchy game. It's easy to forget how much better the game is supposed to look. It's denial.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I got back my old super convertor II and I never had problems with MSX. MSX was the first mvs cart I picked up and it worked perfectly on both of my home systems. I was really surprised when I read so many people had problems with it.

I did notice some scaling issues with LB.

But I bought the converter for the Slug's, much cheaper way to get the set 1>X>3>2>4>5

Last edited:

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I strongly disagree with the "you're going to be less than satisfied with this converter." statement. This converter works great and I use mine a lot and love it.

There is the scaling issue though and I don't think its all too bad.
I uploaded a video of Last Blade 2 on youtube to show what the scaling issue looks like. This is a worst case senario I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK7F2O4Dx-w

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I also strongly disagree. The MVS converter II is still well worth the price of it. The only game I have trouble with is Metal Slug X which I heard could possibly be fixed with the new ac adapter purchase. I've really enjoyed the conversion from MVS to AES with this converter. $249 well spent

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I strongly disagree. I got fucked by this converter. It was a rip-off. I bought it as a potential replacement for a CMVS and it isn't suitable by a long shot. Neo Geo owners should not have to compromise with issues like the scaling. That's the whole reason we play Neo Geo. Play the ports and roms if you don't mind flaws.

The fact that it supposedly works with every game is also a blatant lie. Read any other thread about this thing, the number of reported problems is staggering. For the price we deserve something that works right. You'd might as well buy a CMVs for how much it costs. I will not stop speaking out against this converter, anytime I see someone praising it, because I feel cheated.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I strongly disagree. I got fucked by this converter. It was a rip-off. I bought it as a potential replacement for a CMVS and it isn't suitable by a long shot. Neo Geo owners should not have to compromise with issues like the scaling. That's the whole reason we play Neo Geo. Play the ports and roms if you don't mind flaws.

The fact that it supposedly works with every game is also a blatant lie. Read any other thread about this thing, the number of reported problems is staggering. For the price we deserve something that works right. You'd might as well buy a CMVs for how much it costs. I will not stop speaking out against this converter, anytime I see someone praising it, because I feel cheated.
Personally I bought mine knowing that it had scaling issues on some fighting games. Some people seemed to be ok with it and some not. So I took a chance on it. I only found scaling issues really annoying on the Last Blade games, so that's what, 2 games out of about 140? Maybe if bought games like SSV and SSVS, those might have annoying scaling too (on huge characters like Kusaregedo- can anyone tell me how good the super mvs 2 is with those 2 games?).

No the Super MVS 2 is not perfect, but unless a company releases another converter, none of them are going to be perfect. My Super MVS 2 works with well with my console (plays every game, only problems are a few pixels the wrong color and scaling issues). I guess it's annoying that they could probably make a converter that plays every game (except V-Liner) perfectly, but they won't (if they released another version of the Phantom-1, it would probably be just about perfect).

I have an AES and CMVS, so I can play my MVS games on the AES or the MVS (if I want perfect scaling/better video output). You could have an AES with a super MVS, as well as a CMVS, or you could have both the Super MVS 2(dark blue) and the Phantom-1(Blue, with AES cart shell) like I have. I can use the super MVS for newer Playmore games like SSVS, Metal Slug 5, etc(it's also easier to use, not as tight to put MVS games in it compared to the Phantom), and use the Phantom for SNK fighters with scaling. The Blue Phantom plays games with virtually no scaling problems on my AES (eg Last Blade 1&2, AOF3 etc). The only game in my collection it doesn't play properly is Metal Slug 5, and I knew that before I bought it. One of the problems with the Phantoms (the models before the Blue one) is they can damage the AES slot over time, I guess that puts some people off getting both the Super MVS 2 and the Phantom, as they have to find a blue one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Wow, you have a lot of options there.

The scaling issue affects every game with scaling, not just fighting games. It's just most apparent in the fighting games that scale. Don't forget about the Fatal Fury games where you move into the background, they look terrible too.