Pardon the English...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Would any of the kind German speaking forum members help me on something? My wife's maiden name is German and it seems like they had a tough time figuring out what it meant if anything.

The surname is Fessenbecker.

Becker of course is a common surname meaning Baker, but I can't find any references to what Fessen could be. Any ideas?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Would any of the kind German speaking forum members help me on something? My wife's maiden name is German and it seems like they had a tough time figuring out what it meant if anything.

The surname is Fessenbecker.

Becker of course is a common surname meaning Baker, but I can't find any references to what Fessen could be. Any ideas?

Fessenbecker is a relatively uncommon German surname that can be found in the south-western part of Germany, namely the Rhine-Neckar region. "Fessen" or Feßen is the name of an ancient type of wheat, actually it's the precursor strain of it. Fessenbecker (or "Feßenbäcker" to be more precise) thus refers to a person who bakes bread with flour made of Fessen.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Fessenbecker is a relatively uncommon German surname that can be found in the south-western part of Germany, namely the Rhine-Neckar region. "Fessen" or Feßen is the name of an ancient type of wheat, actually it's the precursor strain of it. Fessenbecker (or "Feßenbäcker" to be more precise) thus refers to a person who bakes bread with flour made of Fessen.

Awesome info, sorry I was too lazy to type the esset. In any case, I owe you a beer whenever I get a chance to travel to Germany.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
1st - Tak is one of the most educated people I know

2nd - if I remember right, ancestry research is one of his fields of interest

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
2nd - if I remember right, ancestry research is one of his fields of interest

Yup.

* blushes *

I seem to be able to keep tons of silly details in my brain, maybe that's because I'm usually too lazy to take notes or re-read information so I try to memorize it... :D

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Oh my gosh Tak, I think I should bow in the face of your awesomeness. I'm a huge fan of researching last names but what you just did just owned me hard.