Ipod Touch / Iphone Games: Official thread

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It has not gotten favorable reviews. Great game but a sloppy port.

I've been disappointed by almost all of the major developers attempts at iphone games. Capcom, Konami, Namco... A lot of them just aren't that good, and they are pretty much all outlandishly priced compared to other apps.

The best iPhone games have all been new, independent developers. Subatomic, Rocketcat, Glu, a bunch of others... They're the ones creating interesting, fun new games, not broken ports of console games that control like shit or reusing popular franchise titles on games that miss the point of the original games.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Get the Simposons arcade game. It's cool to play your own music while beating people up.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Sword&Poker is my new favorite game. Everything about it is high quality and worth $1. I cannot more highly recommend it.

Other games I play alot are mini squadron and hookchamp.

I downloaded song summoner and it seems good but I just don't play it.

SGGG2

n00b
My favorite iPod Touch game is rRootage. I like this port better than the PC game. It has slowdown, but it makes the game more enjoyable IMO. :D

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Heavy Mach 2!!!

I love the first game, and for the sequel, they didn't just rehash stuff from the Metal Slug-esque first game, they made it a top down shooter and turned it into a whole new game. Just came out, and is half-price for now ($2.99). I'm in the middle of downloading it right now.

513027_5.jpg

IMG_0350.PNG

I liked the first game enough that this was an instant purchase. I won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow, but I'll post impressions when I do.

BatManG85

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Heavy Mach 2!!!

I love the first game, and for the sequel, they didn't just rehash stuff from the Metal Slug-esque first game, they made it a top down shooter and turned it into a whole new game. Just came out, and is half-price for now ($2.99). I'm in the middle of downloading it right now.

513027_5.jpg

IMG_0350.PNG

I liked the first game enough that this was an instant purchase. I won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow, but I'll post impressions when I do.

looks great, the first one plays like metal slug?
I love Zombieville USA :)

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
My buddy and I have both been enjoying Sword of Fargoal. It's a fun but simple dungeon crawler. Check it out if you are into that sort of thing.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Dont know if its been mentioned but Rogue Planet is pretty good if you like Advance Wars on the ds, must take a look at dungeon hunter.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Holy crap. I've got to rethink some stuff.

Anyhow, my latest app is The Deep Pinball. I'm not a huge pinball fan or anything but this game is really great. Probably the best pinball game I've ever seen and only 99 cents. I could easily see them charging $20 for this as a psp game.

And if you don't mind only getting one ball per game and not keeping track of your high scores, there is a lite version. For free, you really can't go wrong.

img_0016.png

Pinball is a natural fit for a touch screen game, and this plays perfectly.

GameProm released another Pinball simulation entitled "The Jungle" --- judging from the videos, it looks like they've upped the ante further to match the real pinball experience. The table scrolling seems to be getting better to --- something to look out for.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And about Heavy Mach 2, I'm still not too far into it, but it's pretty safe to say I prefer the first game by a pretty wide margin. It's just more my style of game.

heavymach1.jpg

It's pure fun with a decent amount of variety and great controls.

The sequel is decent with an interesting and easy to use control scheme, but starts to feel repetitious pretty quickly.

heavymach2_03.jpg

There's a good amount of customization as you pick up or buy upgrades and extra weapons. But you travel (and backtrack) through the same terrain over and over and over between where your mission objective is and your home base. Enemies respawn endlessly which is good if you enjoy grinding (I don't) for leveling up, but you never feel like you are accomplishing anything. And I haven't encountered any boss fights yet, although I'm only about 5% into the game, so who knows. Graphics are very nice.

I don't regret the purchase, and I like that they tried to go in a whole new direction, but the original is more fun for me.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Thats great that FF I&II are coming but after beating them again a few years ago on the GBA version I am done with those 2 games for a long time.

Now if we get the Japanese FF III and IV that will be great!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Broken Sword: Director's Cut

I'd heard about this game and always kind of wanted to try it. It came out for Wii and DS last year, but the iPhone version is actually supposed to be better than the DS version.

353259_5.jpg

For comic fans, it's interesting that Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) did some of the game's art.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just picked up UniWar and am enjoying it. It plays like a slow advanced wars/nectaris clone.

I also bought Wolfenstein RPG but haven't got to playing it yet.

Peggle and Sword & Poker are RAD.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Hey, does anyone know off the top off their heads if any of our ipodtouch/phone games will work on the ipad? I know they are working on some ipad originals, but I doubt I would be interested in one if the crap I've already paid for doesn't work on it.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Hey, does anyone know off the top off their heads if any of our ipodtouch/phone games will work on the ipad? I know they are working on some ipad originals, but I doubt I would be interested in one if the crap I've already paid for doesn't work on it.

All current iphone/ipod apps will work on the ipad and you have the choice of letterbox with original res or you can double res it to fill the screen.

It is using the same OS as the iphone/ipodtouch.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I still had a buttload of itunes money from Christmas. Bought a few songs, cd, and what not, and I got Streets of Rage & Rock Band.

I didn't think much of rock band before I bought it. I told myself that i'd buy the top grossing app no matter what it was and i'm sure glad I got it. Normally apps are just kind of fun. Usually they're stupid, but Rock band is actually fun. I've been playing it on and off today.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just got Vay. The controls are bugging me, but it's cool to get a sega cd poton the iPhone. I hope more old school RPGs come out.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just a heads up: Ghosts 'n Goblins just temporarily dropped from $4.99 down to 99 cents. No idea how long that will last.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Just a heads up: Ghosts 'n Goblins just temporarily dropped from $4.99 down to 99 cents. No idea how long that will last.

Have you played it? How does it measure up to the other Ghosts 'n Goblin installments?