Ipod Touch / Iphone Games: Official thread

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
So what you download, any good deals out there, etc?

I downloaded Columns / Puyo Pop this weekend which was free for July 4th. Accelerometer controls are a little weird, but you can turn them off.

Also I bought Zenonia which is a pretty good action RPG ala Legend oF Zelda. Seems like quite a long game with lots of leveling and story.

wonton2112

Kabuki Klasher
Knights onRush is a fun time-waster, I'm a big fan of Light Wars though, spend a ton of time on that. Also lots of time spent working on me own app :D.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
By far the best iphone game (or rather, the game that takes up most of my time) is Fieldrunners. That game is so fucking addictive. I always play a session before I go to sleep. Anybody with an ipod touch/iphone owes it to themselves to buy it.

Some other games I play a lot:

Crystal Defenders
Stick Wars
Blocked
Phase 10
Bejeweled 2
Bloons
Scrabble

I have a bunch of others, but I don't play them often at all. I thought about getting Zenonia, but a lot of people are complaining about the controls so I'm passing for the time being. I have Inotia, which I don't play because of the crippling controls.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
By far the best iphone game (or rather, the game that takes up most of my time) is Fieldrunners.
Yeah, I play that one a lot.

I also play Flight Control, which is a very light but decently fun game, iDracula, which is a top-down shooter ala Smash TV, and ExZeus, which is a 3D shooter.

Also, If you like Fieldrunners and Crystal Defenders, try TapDefense. It's very good, especially considering it's free.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I have a bunch of others, but I don't play them often at all. I thought about getting Zenonia, but a lot of people are complaining about the controls so I'm passing for the time being. I have Inotia, which I don't play because of the crippling controls.

I know that Zenonia was recently updated to improve the controls, but I didn't play the earlier version, so i can't say if they are better or not. I will say that I am far less frustrated with the controls after playing for a few hours than I was initially.

The controls are a little wonky, but manageable. What I don't like is that items have durability that wears down and you have to eat to fill a hunger meter.

Looks like Crystal Defenders doesn't work on the 3GS at this point, but i'll have to give Fieldrunners a shot.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Hot Field - Vert Shmup.

As for applications:

Just the usual...

AIM
TwitterFon
TMZ
USA Today
eBay
Flixter
MLB At Bat
TWC

TonK

Least Valuable Player
So what you download, any good deals out there, etc?

I downloaded Columns / Puyo Pop this weekend which was free for July 4th. Accelerometer controls are a little weird, but you can turn them off.

Also I bought Zenonia which is a pretty good action RPG ala Legend oF Zelda. Seems like quite a long game with lots of leveling and story.

Thanks for the heads up on Columns/Puyo Pop.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Games I bought:
Annie's Wild Shot ($0.99 for a limited time)
Dance Dance Revolution S (Lite version also available)
Reversi Sister (Lite version also available)
Rio Blackjack
Rolando (free if you go to Best Buy to get the free download code --- I got the code from BB)

Cool free games:
Jump on the building (Very addictive game with jumping from building to building without falling off as the sole objective --- speeds up for massive challenge)

Must have App:
Colloquy (The popular MacOS IRC client now an iPhone/iPod Touch app, best full featured IRC client I've used so far, better than the free clients I've tried)

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Games I bought:
Annie's Wild Shot ($0.99 for a limited time)
Dance Dance Revolution S (Lite version also available)
Reversi Sister (Lite version also available)
Rio Blackjack
Rolando (free if you go to Best Buy to get the free download code --- I got the code from BB)

Cool free games:
Jump on the building (Very addictive game with jumping from building to building without falling off as the sole objective --- speeds up for massive challenge)

Must have App:
Colloquy (The popular MacOS IRC client now an iPhone/iPod Touch app, best full featured IRC client I've used so far, better than the free clients I've tried)

Good stuff. I'm waiting for Trillian Astra to come up for Iphone before I take the plunge with messaging. Will have to check out the Rolando code at Best Buy offer.

So I purhased Toki Tori yesterday. Nice little platform / puzzler. Basically you have a limited number of special powers per level and you have to use them sparingly to collect all of the objectives. So you might have a bridge and a teleport, but you need to use them in the right places otherwise you have to start the level over again. Good cheap fun (I think it is on sale right now).

I also picked up Hero of Sparta which is a God of War style beat-em-up. The graphics are great, but the touch screen virtual controls are not fun at all. I'd kill for a controller attachment for the iphone.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
My favorites are:

Let's Golf (Just like Hot Shots)
Baseball Superstars '09 (Like Baseball Stars)
I Fighter (Ghost Pilots)
Peggle
TenPinBowl
MLB at Bat
Blocks Classic
ESPN Score Center

I keep downloading then deleting arcade onine pool which received 4 stars and my record is good but it's so frustrating I'm afraid I will throw my IPhone against a wall.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've DLed some games, but have barely played them. I also think there are way too many games/apps on the iPod touch, and the iTunes store is too hard to navigate and tell at a glance what's new and worthwile.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I've DLed some games, but have barely played them. I also think there are way too many games/apps on the iPod touch, and the iTunes store is too hard to navigate and tell at a glance what's new and worthwile.

That's why they started this thread!

:multi_co:

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
I really dig my ipod touch. At my age I feel like such a dork playing a handheld console in public, but with my ipod it somehow seems ok.

Anyways, some of the games I like are:

Crystal Defenders
Fastlane Street
iShoot
Need for Speed
Oregon Trail
Pac-Man / Ms Pac-man
Vay

I just dl'd Castle of Magic, so we'll see how that is.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Just picked up Glypha a free Joust clone. It's actually pretty good...and its free. :D

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I really dig my ipod touch. At my age I feel like such a dork playing a handheld console in public, but with my ipod it somehow seems ok.

Anyways, some of the games I like are:

Crystal Defenders
Fastlane Street
iShoot
Need for Speed
Oregon Trail
Pac-Man / Ms Pac-man
Vay

I just dl'd Castle of Magic, so we'll see how that is.

I tried to like Pac-Man, but after trying the Lite version, I've concluded my NGPC Pac-Man still has the best control scheme. Kept getting nailed by the ghosts 'cos of difficulty turning corners with the virtual joystick.

Check out Internal Force by the way. A Japanese developer Izumi Studio made this, it's a bullet curtain schmup with some ass graphics, and it's only a boss rush, but not too bad. Just wish the joystick controlled a bit faster, right now it feels like a trackball.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Hey I heard IShoot is the bomb...you sick of it yet?

I doubt I'll ever get sick of it as it's a well done Scorched Earth knock off and I only play it casually. Try the lite version out.

@Bok - try Pac-man in swipe mode, plays pretty good. I'll agree the Neo Pocket version dominates with it's 4 way controls, but it's unlikely that I'd have my Neo Pocket on me in my time of need, and even less likely I'd have the rubber ring thingy to go with it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Ugh, against my better judgement I went ahead and bought Zenonia last night. The controls are mind-blowingly awful. I'm constantly running around things and randomly dashing which overshoots where I want to go 90% of the time. Maybe it gets better with more practice, but I played about an hour last night and I was frustrated more than anything. It sucks too, because I love the graphics and it has a great nostalgic feel to it.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Ugh, against my better judgement I went ahead and bought Zenonia last night. The controls are mind-blowingly awful. I'm constantly running around things and randomly dashing which overshoots where I want to go 90% of the time. Maybe it gets better with more practice, but I played about an hour last night and I was frustrated more than anything. It sucks too, because I love the graphics and it has a great nostalgic feel to it.

Give it a little time.. I thought the controls were terrible at first, but after putting in 6 hours or so, I can navigate around pretty well. the controls still aren't great, but they are tolerable (to me at least).

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Haven't played it in a while, but I actually loved SimCity on the iPod Touch. Essentially it's a port of SimCity with a few gameplay elements from SimCity 2000 and graphics and advisors from SimCity 3000. Touch controls actually work pretty well for going through menus, only took a few minutes for me to get used to it.

The only downside is that it wears through the battery pretty quickly. On my 1st generation Touch it goes through the entire battery in under 2 hours.:confused:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I'm pissed as all hell. Last night I got a couple itunes cards for my birthday, so I decided to buy the new update 3.0, and half way through an 'unexpected errror - 9' occured and now my ipod won't turn on.

freaking gay!

going to call apple right now.

oh yeah, i have over $300 invested in my touch, and the majority is in apps. I recently got sonic and it is extreme fun. controls are not bad at all. Once I get my ipod fixed I might get the sims.

edit: this is bullshit! Even though i'm covered under warranty.. it cost $32 for shipping....!? WTF.

Last edited:

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Fieldrunners is the best. Highly recommended.

Centipede is pretty decent. Not arcade perfect but the new version is fun to play. Control scheme isn't all too bad either.

Texas Hold 'em is decent but gets boring once you get a ton of money. No online multiplay either.

Poker Dice X games are great time wasters until you realize that it's just a random game...

Haven't bought anything on iTunes since my CC got stolen in February. I'm out of the loop now.

J. Max

judas,
I just got Stoneloops. It's much fresher than Bejeweled and it gets pretty tough. Very addicting too.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I Dig It & Knights Onrush are both on sale right now for .99

Picked em up, and both seem to be quality...Knights Onrush is very hard though.