Replacement for the neo geo cd power supply? *solved*

****solved****

see 10th post

So, there isn´t a similar psu that can replace it?

I´ve searched and found nothing.

Mine died, I´ve opened it and there is a leaked cap in it which I´m going to replace tomorrow, since I don´t have the part around, but I doubt it is the only thing stopping the psu to work.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's a lot of PSUs you can hack to make work with it as long as you have the cord that connects to the unit. If not you can always change the jack.

But I too would like to know if anyone has found a direct replacement.

There's a lot of PSUs you can hack to make work with it as long as you have the cord that connects to the unit. If not you can always change the jack.

Do you know what the 10v line does? If it hits the CD drive I´ll respect it but if it is for the mainboard I think 9v can do the job.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Do you know what the 10v line does? If it hits the CD drive I´ll respect it but if it is for the mainboard I think 9v can do the job.

OK, untested theory coming up! Might work, might not work. A true 10V line does sound odd and so far every system that is supposed to run on 10V seems to run just fine on 9V and 12V also. This may be due to the 7805 regulator that sits just in through the door of these systems. Neo CD might not have that one since it has a 5V line coming in anyway. All the 7805 does is to transform whatever comes in to 5V anyway.

My theory is that IF the Neo CD is able to run on 5V/12V instead of 5V/10V, then there would be a world of opportunities. An AT PSU, a suitable laptop PSU or why not a PSU for an external hard drive enclosure. Should work as long as the amps are sufficient. Keep an eye on laptop psu's. I think I have seen 5V/10V laptop PSUs at fleamarkets and such but yes, they are rare.

Start out by changing that leaked capacitor. Look for any damage to traces and or small components that the leak may have caused. That leaking goo is corrosive. There is also at least one fuse inside that PSU that you need to check. Also, a Neo CD PSU classic is that inside that PSU is a large aluminium cooling plate for the regulators that also doubles as ground. If any of the large joints keeping it connected to the PCB is cracked, they need reflowing. I have one that needs reflowing once every other year or so. It cracks at the same place every time from just normal use so next time I'll fix it with braid or something at just that one spot to keep it flexible. Good luck.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Neo CD has a bunch of Positive voltage regualtors regulating the 5v line via the TA7805S x 2. There is also a LM2930T 8v and A1742 x 2 which are DC-DC converters.

The onboard op-amp is an NEC C842C which has a supply rage of 3v-32v. It looks like the LM2930T is powering the op-amp.

replaced the cap and no dice.

so I went on and did a couple of tests. :vik:

the 5v line is for the main board

the 10v line goes for sound amp and the cd rom drive.

There is a bunch of stuff that has a good 5v line so thats covered.

But the 10v is picky, I´ve tried a bunch of things none worked, I guess it will only accept 10v with at least 1A. I´ll have to find an adapter that has it.

so the rundown for the 10v line with:

12v, boots but the CD rom drive doesn´t spin.

9v, 1a. boots, load game but it has random resets.

9v 1.2a wont even boot.

Last edited:

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
You checked the fuse too I hope? Your best bet apart from a genuine replacement power supply is to find some suitable replacement. The first thing that comes to mind is a laptop PSU with suitable voltages and amps. Good luck!

I tested the fuse, it´s good.

I think I´m gonna go with your idea Kunio, those external power supplies for hard drives are cheap and they output 5v 2a and 12v 2a. So I´m going to use a voltage regulator (maybe 2 in parallel since 1a is the max a 7810 can handle) to bring the 12v down to 10v.

The HDD power supply is so small that I can assembly the whole setup inside the original NGCD psu enclosure.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks! Please be careful and let us know how things turn out for future reference.

back to monkey business

It took some time since I had to mail order the pesky HDD PSU but finally I got it.

Attention to the output spec: 12v 2a and 5v 2a, this is what matters.

very easy PSU to get ahold of.

I don´t know what happened in the first tests I did but the NGCD runs with the stock PSU no modifications necessary, just the cable.

Maybe I was overfeeding the 5v line. That´s the only thing in common during all my tests.

the beloved monkey back in action:
ngcd2.jpg

I decided to leave the PSU intact and just use a 4 pin molex to connect it with part of the original NGCD PSU:

ngcd1.jpg

It still needs an endurance test, I don´t know the longterm effects of 12v for the NGCD and the HDD PSU gets warm cos´s it´s operating at the limit of it´s 5v line.

last bit: if you accidentaly mix the 5v for the 10v line and vice-versa it wont fry your NGCD.

Again thanks Kunio for the idea!

Last edited:

hjm123

New Challenger

how can i go about doing this

bump!

after dealing with that hack job for near a year I decided to make it permanent and housed the IDE PSU inside the NGCD PSU shell.

ngcd3.jpg

that´s the PSU I´m using, you can get these from china shops and ebay, just a standard IDE PSU, sometimes they are bundled with a SATA/IDE to USB converter

ngcd4.jpg

broken NGCD PSU vs cheap IDE PSU. I´ve tested it in both 4-2 and 5-1 board revisions of the top loader, been working solid 1 year straight.

ngcd5.jpg

look at all the extra room, placed some foam pads below the board and since it is so lightweight, pressure from the wires is enough to keep it in place.

There is also a LED in it but the ngcd shell has no hole for it. I decided to leave as is.

punkpc

n00b
Just wanted to say THANKS!!! I got a free Neo Geo CD because it didn't have any cables or controllers. I didn't want to spend money on a adapter and then find out it didn't work. Took your Idea and just made my own plug-in with some molex female cable ends and some heat shrink and... I'm up and going. System works like a dream. Now with the money I saved I can buy more games for it!

Thanks again

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I know it's an old thread but I need a power supply for my NeoCD, Its a CD-T01 29w. Is there any cheap equivalent I can use, also where would I get the 3 prong adapter from?

SamIAm

n00b
It still needs an endurance test, I don´t know the longterm effects of 12v for the NGCD

Sorry to bump this ancient thread. I'm gearing up to modify my own 12V/5V PSU to connect to my CDZ, and this is something I'd really like to know about. Do any other users here have experience using this solution and putting 12V on the 10V rail? Has anyone run their system with it for more than, say, 50 hours total? Also, does the 10V rail connect directly to any circuitry without going through some other regulator first? It just seems to me like this is asking for trouble, but of course I could be wrong. Thanks, guys. :)

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
There is a bloke selling new PSU’s on ebay at the moment for a very reasonable price.

His seller name is choijustin

SamIAm

n00b
Thanks for the tip! That's not bad at all. To get one to me in Japan would be $26 total.

I did already pick up a 12V/5V supply, though. It would be a snap to get it in. I just don't want to fry anything.

Has anyone else put 12V on the 10V rail?

thearthur

n00b
Sorry to bump this old thread.

Recently I got a Top Loader and a Front Loader too, I bought them as not working, but I managed to make both work perfectly now, I want to sell one because I really dont need 2 consoles, but I just got one AC adaptor that came with the top loader, so I need another AC adaptor, I try this replacement, I had an external HDD power supply laying around and I can tell it worked great! but just on the top loader, on the Front loader didnt worked at all.

Does someone know why is this?.

Does the Front loader needs are different than the Top Loader?

Both works fine with the original Top Loader power supply, but not the replacement.

I dont mind to sell the original power supply and keep the replacement, because I dont want any trouble if this replacement fails and I think I could get a better selling price if I include the original...

But the thing is that I will like to keep the front loader, I like it more but I,ll end with a power supply that doesnt work with it.

thearthur

n00b
@thearthur whats the amps rating on your PSU?

5V should have 2A at least (also closer to 5.5V than 5.0V)
10V should have 1A

measure the voltages with the Neo Geo CD that won't work, its likely your PSU is too weak
Hi, thank you..

I have the exact same AC-DC adapter as OP, 12V 2A, 5V 2A and as i said, It works great with the top loader, when connected to front loader it do turn on, but just got a black screen, I believe too that the PSU isnt delivering enough power, when connected it drops down the voltage somehow, because the PSU excedes the requirements of the system..

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_194400.jpg
    IMG_20221128_194400.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221128_195419.jpg
    IMG_20221128_195419.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221128_195437.jpg
    IMG_20221128_195437.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7