Presenting: Neo-Geo EL (mini marquee) Lamp Replacement Tutorial (+ pricing details)

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Neo-Geo EL Lamp Replacement Tutorial​

This tutorial is meant to help you replace the EL Lamps on the Neo-Geo 2, 4, and 6 slot EL Lamp pcbs. If your marquee lights don't work it is most likely just the lamps. They go bad just like a regular light bulb only after a much longer period of time. It is possible that your inverter is bad but it is not nearly as likely. All pics used are from my 6-slot cabinet. The routine should be the same for other models.

**I used a kit sold by Being Seen Technologies, Inc. to fix my lamps and make this tutorial. You can contact Ed to order your kit. You could technically order the supplies and make the bulbs yourself but it would be much more expensive and more time consuming, especially since you are probably only replacing a few bulbs. If you email you will receive an automated response first and then he will send an actual response later. Please be patient. The better, quicker way is to call. Here is the contact info for Being Seen:

Being Seen Tech
www.beingseen.com
888 457-0117 (USA)
508 279-4244 (International)
508 930 2277 (cell)

If you have questions for me you can contact me at Neogeolamps@suddenlink.net

Now onto the tutorial!

STEP ONE: REMOVE EL PCB

Remove the EL lamp pcb from behind the marquee. Depending on your cabinet, you will have different ways to access it. (Mine had two locks underneath the marquee overhang.) You must disconnect the rainbow colored connector that leads to the inside of the cabinet.

2pq7y9k.jpg

STEP TWO: REMOVE OLD EL BULB

Using a knife or a flathead screwdriver, carefully pry the old laminated EL bulb away from the pcb. It is held with a sticky substance.

156b6sl.jpg

While holding the bulb up so that it doesn't touch the sticky substance again, use a soldering iron to melt the solder and remove the old bulb from the pcb. You will have to pull slighly on the bulb while you melt the solder with your soldering iron. You could use a de-soldering iron to do this but I found that it is easier to replace the new bulb when you leave some of the original solder on the contact points.

2uonw52.jpg

Note: Do Not Clean the sticky substance off the PCB!! You will use it later.

STEP THREE: PREPARE NEW BULB

Here is what your new bulb will look like before any modification:

2rpwxa8.jpg

Note: You may need to use an old bulb to trim the new bulb down to size. You can just use a pair of scissors to do this if necessary. Also, your kit will most likely have thinner wires. I have worked with Ed and provided him with an old, dead bulb. Your kit will probably already have the bulbs at the proper size when you receive it. He will probably have smaller wires installed, also. This will make the fit even better on the pcb.

Soooooo, you may need to trim the bulb. You will also need to trim the wires down and splice the ends of them a bit.

t70s2a.jpg

2czrc7q.jpg

You can place the new bulb in the old bulb's spot before removing it in order to determine the best length for the wires.

2eq3va1.jpg

After you strip the wire tips a bit it is best to add solder the the tips of the wires before trying to solder them down.

2cnxl5i.jpg

STEP FOUR: INSTALL NEW EL BULB

Note: I have been told that the wire solder points should be interchangeable but this tutorial shows where the factory would solder the wires.

First off, look at the back of the new bulb.

8ycdbo.jpg

There are two wires attached. Look at the bulb with the wires at the bottom. The bottom wire will actually be attached to the lead closest to the bottom of the pcb. The top wire will be attached to the top lead on the PCB. So more or less the same way the original bulbs were attached at the factory.

rr837d.jpg

Note that some of the leads on the PCB are at the top of the bulb. In this case just install the bulb with the wires at the top. The top wire goes to the top lead and the bottom wire to the bottom lead, etc.

nw7mb.jpg

Now fit the new bulb in the spot that the old bulb was. The remaining bit of the sticky stuff on the PCB should be enough to keep the new bulb stuck in place. I suppose you could use a bit of rubber cement if necessary. Next, carefully solder down the wires to the proper leads on the PCB.

28buoag.jpg

STEP FIVE: REPLACE EL PCB AND TEST

After verifying that you have good solder connections and the proper wires attached to the proper leads, replace the EL lamp PCB in your cabinet and reconnect the rainbow wire connector.

2cheex.jpg

Now turn on your cabinet. By default the first slot light should turn on immediately (if you have a cartridge properly installed in slot one).

5vrgxw.jpg

Now use either the game select button to test each bulb or go into the manager screen and select hardware test, then hit start until you get to the i/o test screen. It will automatically cycle through all of the marquee lights one at a time continuously.

Here are some reasons that a bulb or bulbs may not work:

--Bad solder connection: you may need to do a better job soldering the wires to the PCB.

--Wires soldered to wrong lead: verify that the proper wire was soldered to the proper lead. Try reversing the wires on the PCB. (I have been told that the wires are interchangeable but the tutorial uses the factory leads)

--Bad Bulb: This is extremely rare and most likely NOT the case. May never happen.

--Bad inverter: Also, probably not the case. Check all wire connections to and from the inverter (located behind the board that the marquee PCB is mounted to)

STEP SIX: ENJOY YOUR REVIVED NEO-GEO MARQUEE SLOT LIGHTS!!

2uh4sv4.jpg

2vwitsm.jpg

35cls3k.jpg

This tutorial was made using Open Office. I also used my six-slot cabinet and pictures I took myself. In addition I also used an EL lamp kit purchased from Being Seen Technologies Inc.

© Walsdawg Management Inc. 2009

© Jeremy Walski 2009

Please don't distribute without my permission.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:buttrock:

This should be a Sticky thread or linked in Faqs/Glossary

Last edited:
Hello,

The tutorial looks great, new lamp kits will be available shortly.

If you have dead lamps inside your cabinet, please disconnect your inverter board asap, the squeal is from a good inverter that has no place to send its voltage and frequency. If you want to save the inverter and avoid the extra repair disconnect asap.

please post any other questions and I will answer them quickly.

thanks

Ed
Being Seen Tech
info@beingseen.com

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I was just wondering if anyone had any questions about the tutorial. Also wanted to get some feedback. Do you guys find this tutorial helpful?

If people like this tutorial I may make some other tutorials for members needing assistance with certain projects. Any suggestions can be helpful and will be met if possible on my end.

M

MadPerry

i haven't been able to start mine yet, but i really appreciate the time put into the tutorial. it should be easy. do i understand correctly that the panels are not yet available yet? i wonder also what the life expectancy of the panels are?

Longevity of the panels

Hello Mad Perry,

The life of the panels is 6500-8000 hours depending on the inverter connected to the lamps. From what I understand from the users the inverter is rather low voltage compared to the usual inverters we work with and so that life expectancy should be longer.

Prices for the New Neo Geo Backlighting Replacement Kits:

6 panel kits = $119.88 including shipping
4 panel kits = $82.30 including shipping.

The panels will be cut an eighth of an inch larger than usual panels just to ensure that they fit everyone's cabinets. Mitsurugi was nice enough to send me a pair of panels to model the El lamps from.

thanks

Ed
Being Seen Tech
888 457-0117
www.beingseen.com

Last edited:
Prices have been posted for the backlighting kits

Hello,

Prices have posted for the NEO GEO backlight replacement kits.

thanks

Ed
508 930 2277

my apologies, I sent only one PM to all that were interested...

Hello,

Please accept my apologies, I sent a single PM to all those who had inquired about the cost of the kits or specifications.

No spam was intended.

Please send me a PM if you have any questions and I will answer them.

thanks

Ed

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
since we decided to edit our rude message i will also.

sorry for getting angry about the spam. hope you get many sales

Last edited:
would anyone be interested in....

Hello,

Received a PM on Friday about getting a single lamp or two lamp replacement.

Yes, I can manufacture those too.

A single lamp = $23.71

Two Lamps = $42.86

thanks

Ed
888 457-0117

Hello,

Just to answer question by PM that would be useful for everyone...

The replacement lamps are cut to exactly the same size as the existing EL lamps.

11cm x 14cm and come fully assembled, pretty much ready to use out of the box.

thanks

Ed

repairs or warranty

Hello,

One forum member asked what would happen if any of the panels failed to work after being received.

We will replace or repair any panels that may not work correctly upon arrival. These issues must be brought to our attention within 14 days of the day of purchase.

thanks

Ed
Being Seen Tech

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Thanks for putting together such a solid guide on this.

I just pulled an abandoned four slot cab out of a barn (yes, a barn) so I'm assuming that a bulb replacement is going to be in my near future. :)

Cool Craig

n00b
These are a no brainer........ Super easy to replace..... Been preaching about these on the mini marquee thread for months. Makes the marquees I run off really pop! Get em' while there hot! :lol: (Shameless self promotion, sorry)

Last edited:

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
As the proud new owner of a 4 slot with NO marquee lights, this is very helfpful. Thanks to OP!
Will be ordering a 4 slot kit soon.