SNK Playmore interview - Part 1

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, I'm really happy you appreciated it :)

Bobak said:
--I admit I was a little skeptical when you first announced your plan (just because I had a hunch it would take time and diligence to get the interview with SNK due to the language barrier, their conservative nature, etc), but I'm so happy this worked out well.

I understand what you mean, (and you are 100% right), but at least let's say I learned a lot and I hope it will make things easier for the future :)

As I understand, SNK PR Dept took 5 months to approve this interview for publishing?:eek:

A mix of causes..., first the content needed to be approved by the people who take the interview, then the P.R. last word...but what caused most delay was the KOFXII related content, and the fact they were *really* busy (and this was of course a best-effort task for them).
I needed to call a couple of times, but we agreed for splitting so everything returned to "normal" and we proceeded.

I hope we can go smoother with PartII, but I think we will need to wait home version of kofXii to be released... :(

Last edited:

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I see seems like we'll gonna wait until July for the 2nd Part of the interview,oh well...:rolleyes:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
That was great thanks for putting this together! I await part 2 with great anticipation!

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
I see seems like we'll gonna wait until July for the 2nd Part of the interview,oh well...:rolleyes:

That isn't all that far off you know (only a couple of months). Besides, I think we waited a lot longer than a measly two months for Part 1 of the interview. Be grateful.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Gotta echo the sentiment of everyone here...excellent interview :)

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Good read. Thanks for doing this for us.

I was beyond happy when I read this "Actually, I can say we sure would like to put the same effort we spent on KOF XII for the next Metal Slug, yes.". High res 2D Metal Slug? Sign me the fuck up!

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I loved the pics, the thought of a Metal Slug that looks like KOFXII makes me wet...O_O

Excellent Read. Really Looking forward to the 2nd part.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
Get an inside look at current day SNK Playmore with Yoshihito Koyama, SNK's most veteran employee (on board since '91). This preliminary thread was opened to gather ideas from the community for specific questions for this event and this polished article is the culmination of those efforts.

Special thanks go to Massimiliano Macri of Italy (Neo-Geo.com forum member massimiliano) who conducted this comprehensive interview with SNKP at their Japan headquarters on December 26th, 2008.

Thank you.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Truly great read massimiliano, I'm sad I didn't realize this was posted up until just now. Knowing that SNKP does indeed have the IPs of old on their mind is very reassuring. :) I am hoping for the brightest possible future for the company.

Get an inside look at current day SNK Playmore with Yoshihito Koyama, SNK's most veteran employee (on board since '91). This preliminary thread was opened to gather ideas from the community for specific questions for this event and this polished article is the culmination of those efforts.

Special thanks go to Massimiliano Macri of Italy (Neo-Geo.com forum member massimiliano) who conducted this comprehensive interview with SNKP at their Japan headquarters on December 26th, 2008.

Damn, I missed that thread. Will there be a chance to gather questions for another interview in the future?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Damn, I missed that thread. Will there be a chance to gather questions for another interview in the future?

Hummm...OK.
I was thinking about it since the splitting into part I&II decision.
I think it's possible to *try* an update, also because part II is few questions about KOFXII, (and maybe not SO interesting to read, after it's released and you can play the game in your room!).

I suggest everybody who is interested in a possible "second run" of questions, to feed the previous thread, so I can try to repeat the process, with the needed care, as I would too still ask many-many things :hammer:

Nothing sure, but at least we could try some month from now..right? Doing things properly is the key.

Hummm...OK.
I was thinking about it since the splitting into part I&II decision.
I think it's possible to *try* an update, also because part II is few questions about KOFXII, (and maybe not SO interesting to read, after it's released and you can play the game in your room!).

I suggest everybody who is interested in a possible "second run" of questions, to feed the previous thread, so I can try to repeat the process, with the needed care, as I would too still ask many-many things :hammer:

Nothing sure, but at least we could try some month from now..right? Doing things properly is the key.

Well in that case, thanks. :D

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thanks for this, massimiliano.

It's good that there was mention of possibly featuring pre-Neo Geo SNK games on a future collection.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks for this, massimiliano.

It's good that there was mention of possibly featuring pre-Neo Geo SNK games on a future collection.

Yeah, I like SNK jamma stuff too, and I bet we all be pleased by this project (just take my word for now ;) ).

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Great article massimiliano.

I'm very excited about the prospect of a MS with a KoF XII style makeover. As to Garou 2, LB3 and Magician Lord 2, I'd have to say that while I'd love to see any of those I'm a little nervous how they would be handled after all this time.

The artwork in MotW and LB is so beautiful I don't know that I would necessarily want to see high-res updates on them...

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Thanks man. Excellent read. I love the pictures.

mungrin

Panko KING,
I cant believe this is actually happening.This is so awesome.Yes i was one of the skeptics.

Excellent work, massimiliano. This article was well worth the wait.

I'm somewhat skeptical of SNK Playmore's answers regarding re-releasing other properties. Sure, we'll never see them release a Puzzle Bobble or Power Instinct compilation (those fall under Taito and Atlus's jurisdiction, respectively). But what about Magical Drop 3? (Bear with me on this long explanation.) Since G-Front supposedly owns the rights to Data East's properties, and since they allowed SNKP to include Mizoguchi (from Data East's Fighter's History) in KOF: MI Maniax in order to tie into a Fatal Fury/Fighter's History crossover cell phone game (that apparently never materialized), would that not allow SNKP to work out a deal with G-Front to release their other IPs on a compilation (much like Sunsoft's Neo-Geo collection)?

And speaking of which, what about IPs from developers that were deep-sixed years ago? (Like Face's/Athena's "Money Idol Exchanger" or Visco's "Breaker's Revenge.)

And where the hell is the official Samurai Spirits 15th Anniversary artbook (and for that matter, KOF's 15th anniversary artbook)?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cool read, he wasn't lying about the KOF shooter...lol

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Very nice read! I was surprised to hear they were allocating 75% of their resources to pachislot games. I guess that's what makes the real money nowadays.