what parts can i remove from my cab?

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm looking to really simplify the guts of my cab so I can use the space for other things and just plain simplify the wiring for future ease. so, that being said, what can i remove without any issues?

i removed the lighting in the marquee, no problems.
looking to remove the memory card reader and headphones, any problems?
looking to remove the entire coin assembly, any problems?

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
Depends mostly on functionality. If you never plan on putting coins in, that whole thing can go. You would wire up a pair of buttons to "put coins in" if you want to. Shouldn't be any issue with removing the reader and headphone part, as that whole board is an optional bit anyway.

Should leave you with a monitor, CP, PSU, and MOBO and a bunch of empty space at that point.

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
if its always in free play mode, would i even need buttons? or would just the 2 start buttons be fine? this is the part i didnt know, if the 2 start buttons work through the coin mech or independently.

Last edited:

malkie13

Zero's Secretary
If you leave it in free play mode, then no, no buttons for coin needed. Some games behave differently (mostly in the "attract mode" iirc) with freeplay on or off.

My cab had no hooked up coin mecs (cause I was fiddlin with 'em) for a while and it worked just fine. I've got them hooked back up, as well as a pair of buttons to 'insert coins', but I'm also odd like that.

temjin93

n00b
I have been trying to do a similar thing, the cab I have has a horribly complicated wiring setup, with a coin mech, credit board, alarm system, volume control etc... I want the coin op to work but have no idea on how to set it up :(. I bought a new coin op but it did not come with detailed instructions, it is a kai-738c if anyone knows how to hook this up to a MV-1FZS and get it to accept dollar coins let me know. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the bare wiring necessary to get a board to work? sorry I am asking questions and not providing answers, I am total noob to arcade cabinet stuff

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
First a disclaimer. As a preservationist I am against removing original equipment from a cabinet unless absolutely necessary.

Ok. That coin mech is not really meant to be used with these old cabinets. You would need to completely replace the coin door assembly. It may not even fit in the cabinet because those coin mechs are REALLY deep looking. I'm sure you could use it but finding a way to mount it may prove to not be cost effective.

I have no problem removing an alarm system but I would have kept all other wiring intact. What is it really bothering? As far as your coin door goes, what is missing? Maybe show some pictures.

temjin93

n00b
First a disclaimer. As a preservationist I am against removing original equipment from a cabinet unless absolutely necessary.

Ok. That coin mech is not really meant to be used with these old cabinets. You would need to completely replace the coin door assembly. It may not even fit in the cabinet because those coin mechs are REALLY deep looking. I'm sure you could use it but finding a way to mount it may prove to not be cost effective.

I have no problem removing an alarm system but I would have kept all other wiring intact. What is it really bothering? As far as your coin door goes, what is missing? Maybe show some pictures.
What coin mech would be best suited to this machine? do you know where I can get one and how to install it so it works with this MVS?
I am trying to reduce as much out of this cabinet as possible as I will be the one maintaining it and servicing it so it needs to be as simple as possible as i am a noob. I do not mind buying new parts for it, I prefer to do that then try and get old parts going again. Mounting is no problem, I already mounted it in another cabinet, easy job to switch it over. Do you know how I can get my current coin op working with this setup?

Here are some pictures from the current setup, it looks like a mess to me, also there are two green wires hanging out of the coin op that dont connect to anything, I am holding them in the picture.

any help greatly appreciated
SANY0002coin_zps08709353.jpg
SANY000coin_zpsa8e90e6e.jpg
SANY0006_zps4aee32c5.jpg
SANY0005_zpsbf0e51d1.jpg
SANY0004_zps5b7616b0.jpg
SANY0003_zps8030f164.jpg
SANY0001_zps2c85225a.jpg

temjin93

n00b
This is my photobucket, I don't think the pictures added
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s876.photobucket.com/user/temjin93/embed/slideshow/Arcade%20machine"></iframe>

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Ok. I was thinking you had a US or Japanese machine. Looks like the mech mounts fine so it should work. Problem is that I have never seen one of those machines. I have no idea what those two little pcbs mounted in there are for. If I was there I could figure it out. I guess I will need to defer to another Australian member who has worked with one of those machines before.