Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1233

Thread: Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the gasoline and the whole compound and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away..." Ancient Flounder's Avatar

I still enjoy being told what 'definitive' is supposed to mean, like I'm a fucking moron. Good times.

Belnar Institute Student

Quote Originally Posted by AncientFlounder View Post
    I still enjoy being told what 'definitive' is supposed to mean, like I'm a fucking moron. Good times.
    Whether we get it right or not, I don't think it makes the quality of the article any better.

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the gasoline and the whole compound and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away..." Ancient Flounder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironish View Post
    Whether we get it right or not, I don't think it makes the quality of the article any better.
    No, it doesn't. And it still means that they don't quite get the definition of 'definitive' yet, differences between British and American English be damned.

Rotterdam Nation Resident
    They call me Quiet. But I'm a Riot. Mary-Jo-Lisa. Always the same. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name.

icon30.gif

interesting rebuttal bobak,
    I mentioned it elsewhere, but I am no longer interested in
    picking up the retrogamer mag.
    it's gone like this for me.

-someone posted a scan of windjammers in another thread (that was taken down)
    -I post and say, hey that's a nice spread. but it's a UK mag? too bad.
    -O wait. it's available at barnes and nobles? neat.
    -O wait. what the hell is this about one of the writers acting immature. not responding to what was said, but arbitrarily throwing out insults that even goes into the wtc tragedy? this guy doesn't have balls, he's just acting like an idiot.

I don't expect darran to take complete responsibility of stu, a 40 year old grown man.
    but it would probably be the mature and responsible thing to do
    if he wanted to save face for his mag.

because here's a lost sale, especially in the case that I was a bit excited to hear
    this mag was available locally.

Darran:

You may not care that you've lost some readers, but perhaps you'd care to lose advertisers and content providers. Don't think for a minute they don't perceive the situation the same way - or aren't readers themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    I have to question your modus operandi, as you make statements about personal edification but choose to serve others in rather menial jobs. What would be to stop you from building the education to work a market to your advantage and provide your family with some kind of security? You're a pretty well read man. Don't tell me that you would rather work for small change and read spy novels than live the lives you read about. There's a time to move from fantasy into real life.
    Motivation.

Jonny pr
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Darran:

You may not care that you've lost some readers, but perhaps you'd care to lose advertisers and content providers. Don't think for a minute they don't perceive the situation the same way - or aren't readers themselves.
    I can only concur with this statement*. I work in PR and work out where our companies advertising money goes towards. We were thinking of placing a two page advertisement in Retro Gamer but thought we should see what true Retro Gamers think of the magazine. Whilst some advertisers just look at pure statistics like readership numbers we do our job and take a holistic view (for example by seeing what people who never read the magazine think of it).

We also had our misgivings about the so-called 'definitive' article. We were told by Darran that it was a well-written feature, but it started with an Ed 'joke' that I didn't understand. This meant that the whole piece must have been poorly written. They also didn't appreciate what a true definitive article on Metal Slug should be. Instead they assumed that people reading Retro Gamer would already know about Metal Slug and would instead want to tell the readers which was the best version of Metal Slug and it's various sequels. What idiots.

I am pleased that someone is still pushing for quality videogamea journalism and can only support Bobak, Dane Bowers and the other two members of Another Level in their goal.

Now I'm off to snort cocaine with a fifty quid note!

* This obviously means I do agree with the statement.

Calvin and Hobbes.
    Ignoring Pm's
    Since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny pr View Post
    I can only concur with this statement*. I work in PR and work out where our companies advertising money goes towards. We were thinking of placing a two page advertisement in Retro Gamer but thought we should see what true Retro Gamers think of the magazine. Whilst some advertisers just look at pure statistics like readership numbers we do our job and take a holistic view (for example by seeing what people who never read the magazine think of it).

We also had our misgivings about the so-called 'definitive' article. We were told by Darran that it was a well-written feature, but it started with an Ed 'joke' that I didn't understand. This meant that the whole piece must have been poorly written. They also didn't appreciate what a true definitive article on Metal Slug should be. Instead they assumed that people reading Retro Gamer would already know about Metal Slug and would instead want to tell the readers which was the best version of Metal Slug and it's various sequels. What idiots.

I am pleased that someone is still pushing for quality videogamea journalism and can only support Bobak, Dane Bowers and the other two members of Another Level in their goal.

* This obviously means I do agree with the statement.
    What I like about this post... is well.... it has cocaine in it....

...I don't often log in to post in reply to a post..... think yourself bless'ed...

... I assume you'll be taking your business elsewhere now?

...I'm not fussed either way....

My judgement is usually placed on the quality and accuarcy of so called "Retro Gaming" articles... and this was an obvious bullshit lie....

Half this forum could've written a better so called definitive MS series article in our sleep....

..without resorting to wiki....

xROTx

Banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    I don't often log in to post in reply to a post..... think yourself bless'ed...
    Hmmm, when is the vid of you dancing butt nekked with the offending issue of retro gamer strapped to your genitals coming?
    Download my Shockbox MVS inserts here:-
    Lycos Webspace
    Southtown Homebrew

Cham Cham's Banana

What a delightfully epic thread. Too bad I missed the early stages of it. Hopefully, it will go on for a whole year!

Anyway, for my two cents - Funny how so many snarky writers who use the "It's just my style." angle to explain their poorly written nonsense tend to be the same ones who totally flip out when they get some criticism even half as blunt as their own commentary. Snark only really works the whole way through if you can stay cool and take it when the push back comes, if you are gonna go there yourself to begin with. But when you obviously can't take what you dish out... it all collapses, cause that's the point when it just looks like childishness masquerading as style. Which is probaby all it indeed really is in such cases.

I'm a little disappointed that folks from the RG forum etc. only showed up to predictably defend Stu. I mean, when one of my e-friends makes an ass of himself, and it's been known to happen, I don't rush to his defense out of some misguided sense of loyalty or automatic defensiveness on behalf of my Internet posse. Act like a raving jerk someplace, and you are on your own, friend.

Dodgeball Yakuza

Most people at RG Forums sucked badly...Oh well you can't blame those jerks.

GhostLop
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    ... I assume you'll be taking your business elsewhere now?
    You'd be better off assuming his whole post was ironic. We all know where using irony got us last time. Let's hope it gets us another 50 pages this time. I've never been this addicted to something since Puzzle Bobble.

Crazed MVS Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle Star View Post
    Most people at RG Forums sucked badly...Oh well you can't blame those jerks.
    Thanks...!

Or only tarring certain people with the same brush hah hah... then again I take constructive criticism a little better

The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but can never forget what they did here.

Now no one can say this thread lacks a little taste of the Gettysburg Address.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrochiEddie View Post
    our flame wars have become smarter. More tactical. Like the CIA of Trolling

Dodgeball Yakuza

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Thanks...!

Or only tarring certain people with the same brush hah hah... then again I take constructive criticism a little better
    Ok..

NotafanofStu
    Well my registered nick here should pretty much give the game away.

Firstly I don't agree nor disagree with anything said in this thread. People who spend their lives arguing on internet forums are pretty stupid truth be told, but hey, I'm sure they don't need that pointing out to them.

The reason I decided to join and make this post here was to point out to the owners and editors of retrogamer (or whatever it's called) that I do not buy your magazine for the specific reason that you let Stuart Campbell write for you.

Quite how a supposed 41 year old professional can go on a internet forum and display this kind of behaviour is beyond me. However, I do know that he has a long history of it and because of that I refuse to buy any publication that allows him to write articles for it.

It's not personal, it's just my preference as I don't like the way the guy behaves on the internet and have seen first hand what he is capable of (and if I needed reminding this thread would be a great place to start !) thus, if I read any of his writings it's practically impossible to take it or the publication it resides in seriously.

It's not just me who feels this way either. Most of my friends are of the same stead as myself. IE - if they flick through a magazine and see Stuart in there they simply won't buy it.

It's not really surprising that he's had trouble finding work over the last few years. He's basically sued everyone he ever worked for in a pathetic attempt at getting even with them for not putting up with his childish tantrums.

Magazine publishers. Do yourselves a favour and don't hire this prick. It's costing you sales.

NotafanofStu
    If anyone fancies a laugh may I point them to this.

It's Stu getting slapped back down to size. Best thing I've read in years.

http://worldofstuart.excellentconten...apoc/index.htm

The Portuguese Chop
    Come visit us at www.TheArcadeHunters.Com

Quote Originally Posted by NotafanofStu View Post

This was a good read. The following details of his beef against Future made me laugh.

And then came the really good stuff. He further granted Future an order preventing me from ever raising the case again without the express leave of a judge, an order which as far as I've been able to gather also prevents me from filing an appeal. (Unless, again, I can get special dispensation to do so from another judge, which is unlikely, and even if granted is expensive and rarely successful.) And for the final shot in the triple whammy, he awarded Future costs.

What happens now is that they have three months to decide whether to actively pursue the costs award, a course of action which is apparently rather expensive (especially in a case such as this one where very little is likely to be recoverable, as I've got no money). However, Future have already previously stated their intention to pursue any such award, and given the huge sums of money they've already thrown at this case out of sheer spite, it seems unlikely that they would fail to continue to do so now, even though effectively they'd just be wasting more money with nothing to gain except rendering me bankrupt out of vindictive malice

With their costs already somewhere in the vicinity of 30,000 or more, they'll certainly achieve that aim. I don't have assets worth anything like that much, so the more-or-less inevitable prospect is that sometime in the next three months (and I'd be surprised if Future didn't prolong the suspense until the last minute) I'll be informed that I'm about to have some bailiffs come round, empty my house and sell the contents at auction for Future's benefit. After that, who knows?

Man, that'll teach ME to have my work blatantly and undisputedly stolen by a multi-million pound company and complain about it!
    Classic.

Dodgeball Yakuza

wow..
    Last edited by Twinkle Star; 05-16-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: ss

Well my registered nick here should pretty much give the game away.

Firstly I don't agree nor disagree with anything said in this thread. People who spend their lives arguing on internet forums are pretty stupid truth be told, but hey, I'm sure they don't need that pointing out to them.

The reason I decided to join and make this post here was to point out to the owners and editors of retrogamer (or whatever it's called) that I do not buy your magazine for the specific reason that you let Stuart Campbell write for you.

Quite how a supposed 41 year old professional can go on a internet forum and display this kind of behaviour is beyond me. However, I do know that he has a long history of it and because of that I refuse to buy any publication that allows him to write articles for it.

It's not personal, it's just my preference as I don't like the way the guy behaves on the internet and have seen first hand what he is capable of (and if I needed reminding this thread would be a great place to start !) thus, if I read any of his writings it's practically impossible to take it or the publication it resides in seriously.

It's not just me who feels this way either. Most of my friends are of the same stead as myself. IE - if they flick through a magazine and see Stuart in there they simply won't buy it.

It's not really surprising that he's had trouble finding work over the last few years. He's basically sued everyone he ever worked for in a pathetic attempt at getting even with them for not putting up with his childish tantrums.

Magazine publishers. Do yourselves a favour and don't hire this prick. It's costing you sales.

Hey,

if that doesn't put things into perspective I don't know what does.

I knew he's a little prick before I even heard of his Slug article but this is something else, eh...
    Join the Family

Check out my new tracks:

Stubbeat | Kaffeemann | Silber | Taktgeber | Up | 85N40 | Rockets Are Go | Konstrukt 2 | Three | Erratic

Listen and comment to my tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lightmanraygun

Cham Cham's Gorilla

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny pr View Post
    Best post in this thread.

Crazed MVS Addict

Still, it was fun while it lasted...

Timid Neo Newbie

Hear, hear

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bevan View Post
    Hear, hear

what a way to end the thread.
    http://www.riffnralk.com
    Nonsensical Podcasts and articles about music and somewhat music related things.
    http://calamitydown.bandcamp.com/ - I also make weird music

Troll Me

Cuz I is 3lit3

Just read first few pages. Although I do think the RG writer doesnt have a flamboyant enough writing style or persona to do one of those "opinionated columnist" type reviews, I Do think someone else threw a typically pompous ill informed hissy fit for nothing.

My only gripe is the poor writing and factual errors that cant carry the piece.

PS: I hope i dont develop a "problem" logging on again!
    Last edited by rugal2000; 05-25-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Troll Me

Cuz I is 3lit3

Quote Originally Posted by RevStu View Post
    Sure. What does that have to do with integrity, though? What does my reaction to idiots moronically criticising my work have to do with whether the work itself has integrity or not?

Oh, I've said all I have to say on the original subject. You and I are discussing something else entirely.

But that said, since it turns out this guy Stewart Campbell is well known for lousy writing, frankly based on what i read, I wouldnt buy the magazine again.The article wasnt of a suitable quality, both in terms of readability, and also the presentation of accurate facts. Frankly the author seems an utterly ill informed cunt, out to make a name for himself and the editors should know he was out of his depth.

A writer should stoke the fires of imagination and have some semblance of charisma, eloquence or education. Failing that at least be accurate with facts. The guy is none of the above.

Its not a fine art. Take a member like Steve and read his world heroes 3 review. The enthusiasm and imaginative writing is abundant. Than read a review of something he didnt like, and he is still perfectly readable.
    Last edited by rugal2000; 05-25-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Thread Information