The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I don't think that is so much the issue as is the fact that most current panels need at least a 480p via component (analog), when the CMVS is outputting like 240p. Older TVs seem to be more flexible on this point.

In fact, my component hook-ups on my new 60" LG panel are YPbPr, and most panels today offer analog video via component. At least in N.A. and to be honest, I haven't seen an example of YCbCr on LED or Plasma, at least in the consumer market right now here.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Almost all the HDTVs over here now have it. Never seen an analog component that wouldnt take a 15.75kHz signal though, but then i almost never use it....

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I have component modded AES that I run to my Pioneer SC-55.. It works beautifully.. Also works going into my Panasonic VT30 Plasma.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Currently have an older Panasonic 42" Progressive Wide Plasma Display and an American Neo Geo Cartridge system.

The TV has VGA, RCA, RGB and S-Video connections. I'm trying to find a simple solution to get a higher quality image. I currently have the coaxial hookup as well as an A/V cable that not only gives me a really crappy image but also gives off a loud humming noise if I try to plug in both RCA Audio ports. I know the audio on the Neo is in mono, but I would like to be able to get the sound coming out of both speakers.

Any solutions? I'm looking for something that doesn't require me to send my Neo somewhere to get modified for now, as my money needs to be focused on building my studio. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GeekCom

n00b
Been a long time lurker. Finally got a Neo Geo AES that was already modded on E-bay. it has Unibios (I think it is 2.0) and component out on it.

The TV I have is a Samsung 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 9000 Series 3D 1080p LED HDTV (2010 model)
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55C9000ZFXZA

I get a "signal not supported" error on component.
I can hook it up Via the composite and it works but I get wavy lines in different areas of the screen.

Is this typical?
Would I need to get it remodded?
Will the component work on a CRT TV? (I have an old JVC 36 inch TV I can dig out)
Will I still have the lines via composite on the CRT?
If I get a Neo Geo AV cable and not use the RCA jacks will the wavy lines go away?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Been a long time lurker. Finally got a Neo Geo AES that was already modded on E-bay. it has Unibios (I think it is 2.0) and component out on it.

The TV I have is a Samsung 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 9000 Series 3D 1080p LED HDTV (2010 model)

I can hook it up Via the composite and it works but I get wavy lines in different areas of the screen.

Is this typical?
Will the component work on a CRT TV? (I have an old JVC 36 inch TV I can dig out)
If I get a Neo Geo AV cable and not use the RCA jacks will the wavy lines go away?

Looks like that model only accepts the lowest resolution as 480i. On my 46" Samsung, it upscales the 240p from the Neo to 480i.

You might want to think about getting a scaler or component to HDMI converter.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

Is this typical?

I get the same thing with my 60" LG Plasma as it at minimum will only accept 480i via HDMI or component. As XX mentioned, a converter such as this one here will do the trick. http://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Component-Video-Converter/dp/B0064JIC9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357757383&sr=8-1&keywords=CE+Compass+PC+VGA+%2B+Component+Video+Audio+to+TV+HDMI+HD+720P+1080P+Up+Scale+Converter. This is what I used on my set-up.

That being said, I still prefer the PQ of my nonHD CRT that has component hook-ups. Hands down a more "true to the original" picture and more enjoyable than the 60".

GeekCom

n00b
Thanks for the replies I was a bit perplexed when these issues cropped up.

I had been wanting to get a Neo for years and I am pretty stoked to finally have one. It doesn't hurt that the one i got also included Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 1, Magician Lord and Martimelee. Now to build out a collection of games for it.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
L
I get the same thing with my 60" LG Plasma as it at minimum will only accept 480i via HDMI or component. As XX mentioned, a converter such as this one here will do the trick. http://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Component-Video-Converter/dp/B0064JIC9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357757383&sr=8-1&keywords=CE+Compass+PC+VGA+%2B+Component+Video+Audio+to+TV+HDMI+HD+720P+1080P+Up+Scale+Converter. This is what I used on my set-up.

That being said, I still prefer the PQ of my nonHD CRT that has component hook-ups. Hands down a more "true to the original" picture and more enjoyable than the 60".

^This
IMHO a CRT is the best display for a Neo or any other classic console. It took me a while to find the right one with component in but it was worth it. I wanted a 20" screen which is tough to find as most that I've encountered are 27" or more. To big, bulky and heavy for my tastes. I got a toshiba flat screen for my consoles. You can also get a scan line generator which is what I plan to do when I build my mane cocktail cabinet because arcade CRTs can be a bitch to find!

You'll have lots of fun with your console :-) enjoy!

NGH (AES) Component out
20" Toshiba flat screen Model#20AF43
CRT
No problems so far works great!

Last edited:

chimera

New Challenger
I found this topic really informative.

NGH (AES) (first model)
LED Vizio 42in
Looks great

NGX (370 model)
LED Vizio 42in
looks like sh!t

Last edited:

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm using a sharp Aquos 26" from a few years back (LC26DA5U), and I'm getting this sorta stuff in shadows:

2i6idxv.jpg

24uz1p1.jpg

It seems awful similar to what is being described in the thread. What's the cheapest way out of this problem?

NEO-GEO man

Youll have to be more specific cause i cant see an issue there without abit more info. Im on a phone screen.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Youll have to be more specific cause i cant see an issue there without abit more info. Im on a phone screen.

The shadows and the yellow whoosh behind the weapon have this horizontal scan line thing going on. When I pause the game, the shadow goes either solid or disappears. I'm thinking this might be how the HDTV is interpreting the interlaced shadows (which just flicker quickly on the Mame version).

NEO-GEO man

Just check out and see if it has some sort of scaler built in to make it modify the image, alot of later model CRTs had line doublers in them.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Just check out and see if it has some sort of scaler built in to make it modify the image, alot of later model CRTs had line doublers in them.

Out of curiosity, why would the interaction between the MVS and the LCD cause only the shadows to not double?

NEO-GEO man

The fact the LCD ( or almost any digital display ) wont like the 240p signal. They will want to treat it as a 480i signal, which its not, so it will have all kinds of artifacts.

NEO-GEO man

No problem :)

This is why you really should be using a CRT ;)

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I did some testing with my Omega while I was putting it together:

Panasonic Viera TH42PZ85U 42" Plasma:
Composite - playable but ugly. lots of dot crawl and bleeding
S-video - takes a while to sync up and loses it pretty frequently. unplayable
Component - haven't tried yet

I also have an Onkyo receiver with a killer deinterlacer / upscaler built in and I'll give that a shot.

Of course it's gorgeous on my Sony Wega 32" SD CRT.