The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah i mean for RGB only, im not sure what will help you with the sync issue.

neogeouk

n00b
Thought I'd pop some info down as regards to my setup.

TV: Pioneer Plasma 43" UK Spec
Console: NEO GEO AES (AEC Model)

Plugged in through A/V Cables at front, and sound used through TV and through Pioneer home cinema system via Neo headphone port. No problems at all with TV, apart from from flickering once you have beaten an openent in Ninja Master's, the part where the screen flashes B&W very quickly... This doesn't really bother me though. :)

BomberHead

n00b
Visio 32" 120hz (SV320XVT)
AES NEO-0 Neo-Pow3
Works but looks kinda shitty.

Philips 42" (42pfl370)
AES NEO-0 Neo-Pow3
No picture. Does'nt work.

US - AES (50,000ish range for #)
37 " Panasonic Viera LCD

Right flicker - doesn't change color , just looks like someone is holding a fan up to that side of the tv and it's slightly bending the signal. Not crippling but disappointing as I just got the AES.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
US - AES (50,000ish range for #)
37 " Panasonic Viera LCD

Right flicker - doesn't change color , just looks like someone is holding a fan up to that side of the tv and it's slightly bending the signal. Not crippling but disappointing as I just got the AES.

Good ole dot crawl from composite video signal. You also get rainbowing and shimmering effects on bright multicolored graphics (example would be the life bars and Galford shoulders in Samurai Shodown 3). S-video or component video fixes this problem along with more vibrant colors, contrast and better detail.

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
Previously used a Sony Trinitron CRT (from the Netherlands) with my JP AES, works liked a charm (even officially it doesn't support NTSC / NTSC-J). Unfortunatly it's broken, so I tempted to by a new television (some HD LCD screen). Any suggestion from somebody in Europe? I'm not looking for mega-super-ultra scrip images, just good will sufice (flickering en warped images I don't like). So what should I look for? 50Hz? 100 Hz? 200 Hz? Lot's of doo-dahs like MotionFlow technology-blahblah or plain-n-easy low tech?

NEO-GEO man

You should fix the CRT is what you should do, they are usually pretty easy to fix. If you cant do it, someone near you will likely be able to. Digital TVs are a big step backwards, especially if youre sending them a 15kHz signal, in which case even a low end basic CRT display will be better than the best of digital.

If you really must go to a digital set, just be aware of the fact alot of them dont like 240p. Almost none of them will support 15kHz through their RGB input.

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
Hi NEO-GEO man,

Thanks for the response. It took my tv to a repairshop, but they said they couldn't repair it anymore (if figured as much, due to a pulse of black smoke coming out of the tv one night...). Plus, my girl wants a 'slim' tv because we live in a small flat.

I'm not the most technical guy, but I gather from your reaction that S-video would (could?) be a improvement of some sort. Is this right? Because I always thought that these cable provide the same output, only distributed in a different way (SCART over 21 pins, S-video over 4 and component and composite over 3 plugs).

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Basically the picture is just going to look rough and pixelated on a digital HDTV LCD/LED/Plasma with a system like the Neo Geo, which displays in 240p. A lot of HDTVs have a hard time even showing a picture at all with an AES system. BTW, the AES only outputs composite and RGB, no S-video. You have to mod it to get S-video with the old small circuit method or an encoder like the Neobitz (also there is a component YUV model) sold here from username JMKurtz. Since you live in Europe... I assume you can easily find a CRT with RGB Scart, which is the best way to go anyways. Trust me, you are better off having an old CRT set even if it's small than not having one at all.

Hell, even a Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 looks a little rough on these sets in 480i/480p. I definitely wouldn't be able to stand playing a NES, SNES or Genesis on any digital HD set. Older HD CRT sets are acceptable though.

Mr_Spacely

n00b
Hey, guys.

I have a Samsung UNC8000 3D LED-LCD set. I just hooked up my AES to it for the first time and... nothing. The TV keeps saying "No signal found." My AES is outputting through component, courtesy of a Jeff Kurtz mod. Anyone have any troubleshooting I can do for this problem?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Mentioned in previous posts in this thread, you will see that many HDTVs will not accept the NeoGeo AES signal with component.

Here's why:
1) It runs at 240p, which a lot of HDTVs will not accept 240p using component due to 480i being the lowest recognized resolution with that connection.
2) To make matters worse, the NeoGeo AES/MVS has a slightly off vertical refresh rate of 59.185Hz instead of the closer to 60Hz with other outputs.

Try it on other TVs first and see if it works on any other TVs, especially with an older CRT of some sort (I suggest a Sony WEGA Trinitron). Then you know it isn't the system.

Mr_Spacely

n00b
Thank you for info.

Is there any upscaler/converter I can buy, or that you recommend?

I'm unable to test it on my old CRT, as I'm currently unable to find the composite cables.

Speaking of... Will it work on my HDTV with composite or s-video?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
X-RGB 3 maybe, but runs you up $400 US roughly. Seriously get a decent sized CRT at 20-27 inches used or something.

You have better chances of it working with S-video and composite, but trust me... it will look really rough on a LED/LCD. Also, have you tried S-video yet? My Neobitz has component out along with the better encoded composite and S-video out the back with standard connections (not using the AV multi-out with a stock AES). I am talking about 3 plugs for component, 1 plug for composite, 1 S-video standard plug and 2 red + white for stereo sound all line-up on the back.

BTW: If all else fails after testing your system on different TVs, try adding a 0.01-0.10uf ceramic capacitor to the Sync output from the Neobitz encoder if you get no results from component video at all. Also, see if your Neobitz encoder is using a LM1881 sync splitter. Some systems need it, some don't. I would mess with that then try the ceramic capacitor trick.

This is the big ultimate pain with mixing old systems with newer digital sets. This is why I use my Toshiba HD CRT 36" 4:3 ratio set (I prefer this one mostly) and my Sony Trinitron SD CRT 27" 4:3 ratio set to play older systems. You also don't get the video input lag (which makes a difference with fighting games a bit) and you get a more natural picture that is intended for these systems in the first place.

Mr_Spacely

n00b
Thanks for the reply again.

Well, I found my spare composite cable and hooked it up with that and it worked. The image, I thought, was surprisingly okay. Up close, it's pretty pixelated, but 8'6" away at my couch it looks vibrant and moves well. The only problem is a slight "wavy-ness" at the center of the picture. I spent a couple hours tinkering with all my picture settings and it's still there; I'm sure the problem's been discussed elsewhere here.

Sadly, my TV does not have S-Video. Otherwise, yeah, I would have jumped on that. Believe it or not, this is my only TV (small house, hence the wall-mounted LED-LCD). I toyed with the idea of getting a Sony WEGA KNsomethingsomething120 or 170 off Craigslist, but honestly, I'm not sure where I'd even put it. I think it'd end up in my garage, which is finished, but is no place for a Neo-Geo AES I've owned since July 1991.

Now, on the subject of S-Video, I did order this off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NS0UUQ

I'm curious to see if it'll work with either my AES or my Sega Saturn. It's a bit of a gamble.

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
Thanks SNKNostalgia! Since I'm also using other old game consoles (NES, SMS, PCEngine, SNES, MegaDrive, ...) I can only draw one conclusion: CRT is the way to go. I'll start browsing the local ads, thanks again for helping out, mate!

Basically the picture is just going to look rough and pixelated on a digital HDTV LCD/LED/Plasma with a system like the Neo Geo, which displays in 240p. A lot of HDTVs have a hard time even showing a picture at all with an AES system. BTW, the AES only outputs composite and RGB, no S-video. You have to mod it to get S-video with the old small circuit method or an encoder like the Neobitz (also there is a component YUV model) sold here from username JMKurtz. Since you live in Europe... I assume you can easily find a CRT with RGB Scart, which is the best way to go anyways. Trust me, you are better off having an old CRT set even if it's small than not having one at all.

Hell, even a Dreamcast, Gamecube or PS2 looks a little rough on these sets in 480i/480p. I definitely wouldn't be able to stand playing a NES, SNES or Genesis on any digital HD set. Older HD CRT sets are acceptable though.

Mr_Spacely

n00b
Well, the S-Video to HDMI converter came today. Picture looks great once it locks in, but slightly cuts off the bottom few lines (INSERT CREDIT is halved) of resolution when in 4-3 mode.

The bigger problem, though, is that the sound cuts in and out every few seconds and the Neo's boot screen is all garbled. So, I guess it's going back.

eflaat1

n00b
I Have a NEO GEO marked NEO-AEC on the box. I live in the US and I know the AEC is the PAL version. How do I get the AEC to play on my TV? What adapter will I need?

NEO-GEO man

Have you tested it to see if it works yet?

Use an RGB to component converter if you have no RGB on your TV, and use an RGB to S-video converter if you dont have component.

Try it first to see if your TV will take the PAL signal, cause PAL has better colour than NTSC does, and if your TV will do PAL 60, that is even better.

Quick question, I am picking up a great deal on a PAL Neo Geo on Sunday. I just recently got back into older consoles and do have a small old CRT in case but I have tested out a TurboGrafx 16 on my 40' LG, LCD TV and it runs very well. Reading back through the comments here is it really just hit/miss with the Neo Geo AES?

NEO-GEO man

Pretty much, there is a few people that claim its the sync frequency, but the number ive seen quoted is not the number i get from either of my AES consoles, or any of the 3 working MVS machines here either, so id take that with a grain of salt too, cause its very likely got nothing to do with it.

Okay I need some help with some basics as I am very new to Neo Geo.

I got a PAL system today for cheap, untested... guy got it from a guy... that kind of thing.

Oddly though it didn't have the original AV cable, and the one they had been using prior (apparently) is this make shift affair white adapter + bizarre out to a part USB/part 9 pin strange end:

Adapter end:
imag0060yz.jpg

Plug end:
imag0063gh.jpg

I honestly hadn't seen this before.
We found an input on one TV that it would fit into... but it doesn't show as any type of input? My friend checked online and it lists it as some sort of TV programming in?

At any rate it seems I may have to get a new neo cord.

Any suggestions other than online order?

In the meantime I was trying to test out if the system was able to power on fine but there's no light anywhere... there's a few videos on youtube that show boards with a little red light inside, but I can't locate that light... even opening up the console.

I did plug headphones in with the power on and was able to get a droning sound, but no game music with cartridge in.

Anything else I can do before replacing AV?

Cheers.