The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
so all the 100uf also RGB? or just composite? if I remember correctly there are like 6 capacitors together like a honeycomb also the height is twice and the thickness is almost over a 1/4 from the 100uf ones!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can do all of them. Its a tight fit but it does fit. I've done it a couple times already. If you plan to use RGB in the future with a 3-3 then do an RGB bypass instead. The 3-3 has the worst(dimmest) rgb output.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Not on this one! this will get a Universe bios that I will order tomorrow (check hasn't cleared yet till tomorrow) S-Video and RCA jacks also a sexy LED (still deciding the color)

I have a 18XXX AES back at my Mom's house so if I can bring it to Canada this Christmas that is the one that will get the RGB mod!

"PIMP the AES" there should be a reality show of that not the boring hoes and douche bags shows populating TV these days!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That makes no sense. You don't lose anything doing the RGB bypass. The 3-3 needs it if you plan to use the RGB from the socket or even if you plan to sell it in the future. It isn't hard to do either.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I am totally unfamiliar with the RGB bypass! all I know is that I have to cut some traces on some boards and eliminate resistors on others but aside from that I am not prepared to do that at the moment I have to do some research first!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
No cutting at all. On a 3-3 you just remove the 3 caps for RGB output and place a wire from the 3 source points to the output of where the caps were.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
So if I get this right instead of replacing the caps for RGB I just remove them and bridge the points and only swap the 100uf composite cap for a 470uf?

That is not difficult but how can I test the results for the RGB lines? because is still not clear to me how! I don't have a PAL tv and I can't just hook that up to a VGA either or can I?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The RGB bypass only benefits users of the AV socket for RGB, it doesn't affect the internal RGB to the internal encoder. Only way to see the difference in RGB is via the AV socket using an external encoder or scart TV. Some people use a Neo to SCART cable and use an RGB to component converter that has a scart connector on the input.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
So basically is just doing it for the heck of it! well it never hurts, is like the belly button it doesn't have a particular use but is not in the way either :lolz:

the ball and chain said I could have the 46" if I get her a 60" to replace it so that will solve a lot of issues knowing now it works with the AES!

I will mod the RGB so I don't have to open it again later on!

looking at another post you have on parts you gave an awesome link to a site "the minute-man" one! have you bought anything from them? the site looks like kind a cheap and outdated so I am a little concerned about how legit it is and how serious they are!

thank you Xian for the great advices!

This is a little off topic

I want a Japanese NeoGeo, will it function with australian power outage or do I need a special transformer or something. I have 2 tvs sooooo... It should work one them.
:qcf:

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I want a Japanese NeoGeo, will it function with australian power outage or do I need a special transformer or something. I have 2 tvs sooooo... It should work one them.

You need a TV (tele) that supports NTSC signal and a step down converter for the power or "PSU" correct me if I am wrong but I think you have 220V in Australia and a JAP Neo Geo is 110V so a step down converter is a must!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The Neo does not run on either 220v or 110v, they use an AC adapter and only requires something between 5v-8v. No stepdown is required, just buy an AC adapter from a local electronics store that suits the specifications of your Neo.

neo-mvs-man

New Challenger

I'm in Oz too mate and i bought mine from Japan, as stated just get an AC power supply from Jaycar, i'll look at mine if you want and tell you what amperage and shit you need!
My tv is fine apart from it does a wierd rainbow with some greys, is that the problem you guys are talking about???

Get it, i never regretted it!:buttrock:

neo-mvs-man

New Challenger
You need a TV (tele) that supports NTSC signal and a step down converter for the power or "PSU" correct me if I am wrong but I think you have 220V in Australia and a JAP Neo Geo is 110V so a step down converter is a must!

We have 240V in Australia.:vik:

neo-mvs-man

New Challenger
Like i said in my previous post, i came to a compromise with an HDMI converter that fixes the flickering but a small "vibration" remains, making the neo very playable.

Still, i have not seen a perfect, straight off the box LCD TV, that could handle the neo...

I have a sony lcd mfm-ht95 and it work perfectly except for the is one effect with a certain gray and it makes a rainbow colour, have you heard of this?
But no flicker or any of which you mentioned.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Itll work perfectly fine mate yeah, i have a Japan AES here. You MUST wait til you see which power supply it has though, DO NOT assume you can use a 10 volt Mega Drive adaptor, cause some AES consoles are 5 volt input, the others are 9-12 volt. If it is indeed a 5 volt console, get one with a 3 amp capacity, itll be about $21 AUD from Jaycar.

We have 240V in Australia.:vik:
No we dont, we have 230v in Australia, see underlined:
page50AS3000.jpg

Taken from this book here:
wiringrulescover.jpg

This has been the nominal voltage in Australia since 2007.

See above for Australia's nominal voltage, but Japan's is 100 volts.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
This has been the nominal voltage in Australia since 2007. See above for Australia's nominal voltage said:
Ok I stand corrected! good to know!

and back to topic:

confirmed
my Neo Geo AES doesn't work on Envision LCD 32" 60hz not even with S-video mod, works on Vizio 47" 120hz and of course CRT 36" 60hz!

and thank God everything starts to look normal after the forums upgrade!

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

No worries, the reason it wont work on some TVs is they have issues with the 240p signal.

aje_fr

n00b
Hello there,
Here is my result with a Panasonic TX-PF42G10 plasma using RGB SCART:

AES : Works perfectly
NGCD front : Works perfectly
MV1-FZS : Left shifted image
MV1-FS : Left shifted image
MV-2F : Left shifted image

May this help someone

NEO-GEO man

Is there a setting on there to allow you to move the image?

aje_fr

n00b
Hello,
Nop, no settings to adjust image position, i was thinking about a sync signal too high, maybe a pot to adjust it...
Color are really more bright too with MVS rather than AES/NGCD.
Bye

NEO-GEO man

I see, try using 220 ohm resistors on the RGB lines, and see how you go. Im not sure what will fix the sync, could try a resistor, and youll know if it makes it better or worse what you need to do :)

aje_fr

n00b
Just tried to add 220 Ohms resistors on each RGB line, nothing... Try 390 Ohms on Sync, nothing....
I will try tommorrow with a pot on Sync line
Bye

NEO-GEO man

The 220 ohm resistors in line with the R G and B will lessen the over bright colours. It wont shift anything.

aje_fr

n00b
Yep, I know but as I was adding one for SYNC, I also did it for R,G,B.
I will try to look the difference between MVS board and AES
Bye