The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
I also am having no luck with a JMKurtz conversion and a Kuro 5020 via component.

Would an XRGB and VGA mode (less processing?) be likely to help?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
An XRGB3 would. None of the previous will probably do anything since it sounds like your TV doesn't like the Neo sync rate since it didn't work with the Neobitz.

grimm

Marked Wolf
LG 42LD450

I use it with a AES, no video mods, with RGB cable.

I cant really say how good or bad it looks as i dont have much referense, its 42" so naturally it looks abit blocky but the colours are nice and crisp and i dont see any sync problems. The shadows underneath characters, particularly in fighting games, has odd horizontal lines through them though.

My US Snes looks pretty good on it too.

Does anyone have any experience with this cheapo tv and MVS systems. Im researching the possibility of getting myself a cmvs made, but then it struck me that it might not work with my TV.

I have an old beast in form of Sony Trinitron 32" Widescreen still, but that tv has issues, and i cant fit them both comfortably in my apartments livingroom..

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I just recently re-bought an AES console... My 40inch samsung 1080p lcd HDTV is obviously not a good match for this system. It plays, but holy shit, the sprites and the display looks horrid...color bleed and horrible flickering...

is there a mod that can do away with this? in other words, is there a way that I can get the picture looking just as good as it did on my old CRT?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Mine is not on a TV, im using an NEC 9PG graphics projector, its CRT, and its a 4:3 format so full screen with both the AES and CD consoles ( mine are both japanese ) using S-Video on the CD and composite on the AES ( all ive got at the moment til i get around to making up an RGB cable ) Neither of them will work through my Faroudja video scaller, it doesnt seem to want to sync to their signals properly, works fine with the Panasonic 3DO console, but none of my other consoles... Be good if it did, cause then it's output in progresive scan through HDMI, then to a HD Fury 3 to get it back to RGB-HV for the CRT projector... Makes a huge difference when its been upscaled, on such a big screen the scanlines stand out quite alot at 480i...

The MVS boards i have here are both dead, the single is a catastophic death id say i cant fix ever, the 4 slotter is a maybe, but connecting the MVS with the RGB-S connection goes straight into the RGB-HV connections on the projector and syncs at 480p.

Tried my friend's Hyper 64 NEO-GEO a couple nights ago, wouldve been ideal if we had joysticks for it!! Same deal, the RGB-S straight into the CRT projector. We shoulda got a pic of it going!!

I used to use an Epson LCD projector, its a 4:3 format ( pretty much a must really for older games!! ) and it was ok, but the CRT is WAYYYY better and smoother, with no flicker at all.

If youve got the space, have a look on ebay for a CRT projector, they are really cheap now for the lower end units, and that is all you really need for this sort of gaming.

This is another CRT i have, which only has S and composite video, the VPH 1001 from Sony, but still brilliant for this job:
DSCN0107.jpg

The NEC is better obviously due to being a more capable unit, but if youre going s or composite, the picture is very much the same anyway:
DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

Here is a pic of the Sega Saturn running, i havent got any with the NEO-GEO running sorry...
DSCN0141.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think there are the pics on the Neo from you playing some Nam1975 in the high score thread.

NEO-GEO man

Yeah, i do remember those now that you mension it, temporary setup with the screen hung from 2 8 foot fibreglass ladders? That was at a friend's place ( same one that owns the Hyper 64 ), these pics are just newish, i only took them in the past 2 weeks, except the Sony pic was about 6 or 8 weeks ago. Those pics of NAM 1975 were on the same type of projector, but not the same actual projector!! ;)

Cyber Woo

n00b
Hi.
I'm new to the forums so i thought i would post my tv's compatibility with the neo.
Both AES and MVS work perfectly on my Samsung Plasma ( PS50C550 ) via component connection.
Had a Sony LCD before ( KV-SA322M31 ). This would only work after adding the 0.01uf cap to the sync line of the MVS and even then only via s-video.
Component connection via Neobitz encoder resulted in a solid, but green only image.

Cyberdemon

n00b
I have an AES (first revisions) with the Jeff´s encoders and a 40" SONY Bravia 1080P and when I connect my Neo, the AES works well on my bravia but when i connect it through an sintoamplifier (Onkyo SR-706) to do an better upscaling the signal to 1080P, looks awesome!!! but... the image vibrate a little bit (up adn down constantly...)
Do you have some idea about how solve this problem?

NEO-GEO man

Its out of sync, that is what mine does with a Faroudja scaler. Try setting the output of the Onkyo to 1080i and see if that fixes the issue, the LCD TV will de-interlace the image anyway.

Cyberdemon

n00b
Its out of sync, that is what mine does with a Faroudja scaler. Try setting the output of the Onkyo to 1080i and see if that fixes the issue, the LCD TV will de-interlace the image anyway.

No. It doesn't works, even in 1080i, 720p, 480 or 576 i/p....

NEO-GEO man

Thats a shame eh.... Have you had a look on the Onkyo website to see is there is a firmware update for your model?

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I play my CMVS MV-1C with a NeoBitz (I think) on a Samsung LNT3253HXXAA LCD.

I use Component and the picture is okay. The main problem is dot crawl. I only really notice it when a game is paused though.

Have been looking at Craigslist lately for a nice 30+" Sony Trinatron CRT, but not much has come around for ~$50.

NEO-GEO man

Have been looking at Craigslist lately for a nice 30+" Sony Trinatron CRT, but not much has come around for ~$50.

Youd be able to grab a Sony rear projection CRT for around that sort of money wouldnt you? Youll get a much smoother picture with three tubes.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
TOSHIBA 20AF46 CRT FLAT SCREEN

All inputs,component,s-video and composite are great with AES & CMVS
BB

dataeast77

n00b
hey guys,i've just bought a 6 slot neo geo board with neo geo to jamma converter and i'm getting the following problems and could do with some help

In my first cab running an old old wells gardner monitor i'm getting sound and a rolling picture,ive tried adjusting the sync pots at the back of the monitor but cant calm the rolling.

in the second cab running an old hantarex monitor i'm getting a garbled image of black and white squares,ive also tried adjusting the sync with no joy.

ive tried this in my candy cab fitted with a new tri sync monitor and i get the same garbled image.

heres a pic of what im getting from the second and third monitors.

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/synct.jpg/

any ideas?

dataeast77

n00b
hey guys,i've just bought a 6 slot neo geo board with neo geo to jamma converter and i'm getting the following problems and could do with some help

In my first cab running an old old wells gardner monitor i'm getting sound and a rolling picture,ive tried adjusting the sync pots at the back of the monitor but cant calm the rolling.

in the second cab running an old hantarex monitor i'm getting a garbled image of black and white squares,ive also tried adjusting the sync with no joy.

ive tried this in my candy cab fitted with a new tri sync monitor and i get the same garbled image.
any ideas?
cheers.
mike.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
MV-1F CMVS
Cypress CSY-2100 SCART RGB to YUV converter
Sony Trinitron KVAR29M31 CRT

Fucking beautiful!

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I have tried out Component on a few of my HDTVs, and my results are:

on my Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX75U the picture is jumpy and doesn't work at all on some games.

on my Panasonic Plasma TH-M50HD18 the picture quality is much better and seems stable but there is a noticable amount of video noise on the screen which cannot be fixed.

on my Panasonic Plasma 3DTV TC-P50VT20 the picture is fantastic, and is crystal clear and perfectly stable. It's the best picture I have seen on a Plasma for the Neo using my Component mod since my old CRT Panasonic 34" 16:9er.

My AES is a Model: NEO-AEC Number: 011,5xx and is using the old NeoBitz

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Just got an AES System and I didn't know they had problems on LCD TV's so to my surprise I hooked everything up and had a flickering on the upper part of the screen and the color started to wash out, never had this problem with the NGCD TL.

AES 50XXX
Envision 32" unplayable because of the flickering and distortion !
"EDITED" Vizio 46 120HZ works perfect right off the bat no mods yet (stock system via composite)

NGCD
Envision 32"
Perfect image

I hook it up with a home made cable that I had for a Genesis and For some reason only the Neo Geo splash screen shows up after that the tv reports that there is no signal, so I used the cables that came with the system and is back to the flickering,
this makes me think that probably part of the problem is the grounding!
probably some of the experts here can shed more info.

Ill try to do a S-Video mod to see if I get any improvement!
Ill post results after is done!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be a simple cap swap on the composite output. What AES revision do you have? Look in the cart slot on the right, you should see a number on the right edge of the board 3-3 to 3-6.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
It is a 3-3 JAP model!
(wow is way on the right I couldn't find it at first!)

It works fine on a CRT is just the LCD Ill test it tomorrow on a Vizio and edit results!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It is a 3-3 JAP model!
(wow is way on the right I couldn't find it at first!)

It works fine on a CRT is just the LCD Ill test it tomorrow on a Vizio and edit results!

You need to swap out the 100uf caps for some 470uf caps. On a 3-3 the space is a little tight but it's very doable.