The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.

Question #1. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is BETTER than composite or S-video, WHY is everyone modding or having Jeff Kurtz mod their system with S-video?
Question #2. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is better WHY mod it with component out?

Terrific

Also, keep in mind that there is a high chance that your HDTV won't accept the Neo Geo signal in most/all video formats. You might not want to find out the hard way using HDMI converters. Even if it works, sometimes the picture will look worse with using higher quality video connections like that.

I suggest going with Component Y/Pb/Pr which will output in 480i even though the system really just does 240p. You can always use Component video on later model CRTs that accept it, which I recommend for any old system like the Neo Geo instead of LCD, Plasma, etc... You can either use a RGB to Component external device that can also be used for other older game systems with RGB, or you can install a Neo Bitz encoder internally.

RGB32e

n00b
1. In the US RGB is not normally accepted by US made TVs. Mods using a different encoder enable a better a clearer signal available to the end user.
2. In the US RGB is not normally accepted by US made TVs. Mods using a different encoder enable a better a clearer signal available to the end user.

RGB is the highest signal available for the Neo but TVs in the US can not process the signal which is why people mod their systems to have a better than composite output.

You can however use an RGB to scart cable and connect it to a scart to component converter to connect to your TV, which is just another way of getting component out of your Neo. The Neo via component is output at 480i.

Most commercial/professional CRT video monitors sold in the US accept 15kHz RGB. Why people bother with RGB to component transcoding is beyond me. I understand WHY... it's just that I've been there, done that, and have found superior solutions.

If you're connecting 15kHz RGB to a HDTV (SCART RGB equiped/euro or not), the XRGB-3 is the ideal solution - B0 for pixel resize, and B1 for line doubling.

If you lack disposable income, buy a PVM on craigslist, use RGB without conversion!

The only scenario where RGB to component conversion makes sense is if you have a 32" or larger CRT with a good component input, as commercial CRTs in that size are uncommon (e.g. PVM-3230). RGB to component conversion is the easiest and overall cheapest route for non-DIYers.
:vik:

I have discovered some oriignal Neo-Geo RGB cables within my cart system case. I have several pin types. I discovered that only one type worked. Sadly, the audio is mono only. However, the signal does broadcast in 480i straight into my Panasonic Viera class Plasma. The picture is okay but pixelated. I am going to experiment more I think.

Terrific

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have discovered some oriignal Neo-Geo RGB cables within my cart system case. I have several pin types. I discovered that only one type worked. Sadly, the audio is mono only. However, the signal does broadcast in 480i straight into my Panasonic Viera class Plasma. The picture is okay but pixelated. I am going to experiment more I think.

Terrific

Get an XRGB if you can.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
AES
Panasonic TC-P42S1
Plasma
No problems

EDIT: I should probably clarify that it's only problem is some EXTREMELY minor horizontal scan lines that are only present at a loading screen, etc. with one full screen color. I believe this is because of the neo's "odd" refresh rate? Other than this hardly-noticeable issue, the picture is immaculate and has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited:

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
MVS
Ambery AV-1
Sony KDL-52V4100

Works well but not perfect. The brighter colors appear slightly washed out, and there is no RGB gain adjustment on the Ambery AV-1 (pretty disappointing since it was not cheap). I also have a WEI-YA model CV-04 RGB to video converter which converts RGB to composite and SVIDEO. The quality of the composite signal is awful, but the SVIDEO is actually pretty good (not as good as RGB though). I am working on building an adapter circuit with capacitors, trimmers, resistors, and switches which I will use as an all purpose RGB modifier for the AV-1. When it is done I will use it to adjust the resistance and/or add capacitance of the RGB lines using the switches. That should take care of the washed out colors from the MVS, and give me a common point to connect an AES, SNES, and Genesis, and play them all in RGB. I will post an update when it is done - hopefully it will be with the effort.

Wombie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
AES/CDZ
Philips 9000 LCD 52 inch
running on composite only(I know, I know, I am planning to get a Mega neo soon hopefully)

Getting some odd flashing during the intersession screen during Waku waku 7 on my AES just then, but otherwise it works fine.

Avenger

n00b
I just switched the Neo-Geo from my Sony LCD HDTV to a CRT with S-Video input. The picture is much better on the CRT. The scanlines really add to the overall image which looks very jagged and "pixelly" (if that is the right word) on the LCD.

westtrade

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
AES
Sony KDL- 46Z5100

The games look good. I did not have to change any options on my sony in order for everything to display correctly.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Waiting for my account to get activated (or whatever happens to let me make threads), so in the mean time, I thought I'd contribute:

System: MV-1F
Screen: Sony PVM-2950QM

Connected with a butchered HD15 to 5xBNC cable soldered to a JAMMA harness, connected to the monitor using the R, G, B, and composite sync connectors.

Initially the picture was rolling vertically, added 100 ohm resistors in series with the R, G, and B lines and it now works PERFECTLY. Big, crisp, beautiful display.

....and it only cost me $4 AUD. :buttrock:

Planning to build a showcase cabinet around it.

NGCD <Jap> / CMVS
Philips 42pf9946-12 (Rolls of the tongue doesn't it)
Plasma

Works great, both via S-Video, screen is probably a little too large but hey ho. Really impressed with the S-Vid output of the Neo.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
2 cmvs both, european with scart output work like shite on my sony bravia lcd 1080p but fine on my 2 crts, and ive just fucking sold them both.
Lets hope crt's are still common or a couple of converter boxes here i come :oh_no:

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I just bought a 37" Sylvania LCD HDTV.

I have a CMVS with Neobitz and a Supergun with JROK.

Neither works in composite or svideo on it. I get sound, but the pictures just black. Besides these all my older systems with composite works fine on it.

I havent tried the VCR trick, I will edit once I do.

Retrozoa

n00b
Quick question here, new member with a 2-slot MVS, and I was wondering if it's possible to hook the system up to a computer monitor? I have a 19" monitor just laying around I'd love to use for it.

Izsomean

Quiz Detective
Hello,
I had one question about this board (also have a 19" CRT monitor lying around). That thing needs horizontal and vertical syncs. How to get that from the mvs board ?

A LM1881 chip and put the the sync from the board on pin 2, to get H sync on pin 1 and V sync on pin 3 ?
http://www.national.com/images/pf/LM1881/00915001.pdf

Get an XRGB if you can.
Does anyone know what the right price for a XRGB-3 is in Japan ? (bought in store or japan website who just ships domestic, not some ebay seller who can do whatever he wants)

Thanks

Hit Man X

n00b
What are you guys/gals shelling out for flat screen CRTs? Any of these every come with component video by chance?

I see piles of them used and do not feel like over paying.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My flat screen CRT I got off craigslist and its 36" and only 2 years old and got it for $50.

jew90

Geese's Thug
MY UK (PAL) Sony 48" LCD (model number to come) works fine with JP NeoGeo AES over composite, not tried it with RGB Scart yet