The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Jeff Kurtz Modded Aes System

No Go in component on both my Vizio LCD t.v's. S-video looks ok.

Looks awesome on my 27' trinitron in both component and s-video.

Still have not tried it on my samsung plasma.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just an FYI, If your TV is showing an all green picture via Component it is most likely that your TV is thinking the Component signal is RGB. If it is set to auto select the signal type you might need to manually choose Component Video. Since the refresh rate is 59.18hz some TVs think it's RGB since it's below the scan range on some.

RGB32e

n00b
Neo Geo MVS Model MV-1 -> Kramer Electronics FC-14 -> Sony KDL-55XBR8

This combination works great! The XBR8 correctly handles the low res ("240p") signal, unlike many other HDTVs (which incorrectly treat it as 480i). :S

The FC-14 is without a doubt the highest quality RGB to component converter I've been able to find (though costs ~$200 USD new). It even works great with RGB moded PCE/TG systems, unlike some of the other converters!

However, I don't use the FC-14 now that I have a XRGB-3... :make_fac:

BattraxZ

Banned
I'm using a cmvs with a jrok on a sony KV-27FS120 CRT After I got help learning how to get in the service menu to correct a little bit of overscan(right side of screen was cropped) Its looking great.

I was having some issues where the screen would go all bland But eventually found that it was just a cable that needed a jiggle.

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I've got a Samsung 40'' 656 LCD and I'm pondering getting an AES system. Will I have to expect picture display problem with my TV? :scratch:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
IMO CRT is the way to go with the older system's and you can find them dirt cheap now.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
IMO CRT is the way to go with the older system's and you can find them dirt cheap now.

I know, for me it's a question about space. I have a small apartment and there simply is no room for another TV. :(

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Am I understanding things right here?

Does all NG systems output an RGB signal and non european TVs can't process it? Therefore you have to use converters to make it work?

My LCD TV is european and it has a SCART RGB input, will I be able to use it?

Is there a difference in video signal output from the different systems, CMVS, AES or NG CD, NG CDZ?

:conf:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Am I understanding things right here?

Does all NG systems output an RGB signal and non european TVs can't process it? Therefore you have to use converters to make it work?

My LCD TV is european and it has a SCART RGB input, will I be able to use it?

Is there a difference in video signal output from the different systems, CMVS, AES or NG CD, NG CDZ?

:conf:
All systems do output an RGB signal, however the home systems also output composite.

These guys simply want to convert the RGB their TV's don't support into Component, so that they get the highest quality video output possible.

There is no way of knowing if the machine will work on your LCD without trying it. Odds are it won't.

Last edited:
Hello I am new to NEO-GEO and I am having a issue with the screen on my TV being uncropped. I was thinking about going into the service menu but then again I have no idea how to crop the picture. I am using a Sony Xbr800 Trinitron TV. Can anyone help me get the picture on my TV to be cropped center. Other than that it looks great.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
a couple of years back i brought a 32 inch HD ready flat screen tv hoping to get a much bigger playing field on my neo and the picture was absolutely shit with the sprites looking all blotchy and the shadows of the fighters all have black and white lines through them,
I wasnt sure if it was the game or the TV so i tried it out on a CRT tv and it was perfect and then I sold my stuff and now have a new 24 inch flat screen and just repurchased some neo stuff and have the exact same problem so im off out later today to buy a cheap CRT as atleast then it wont cost too much and i can once again enjoy playing the neo geo

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Toshiba 36hf71 - CRT flat display 36" from 2002. http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/toshiba_36hf71.htm

Everything looks great on this TV, whether it is Neo Geo, SNES, Genesis, NES, or PS2, Cube, Xbox, as well as 360, and PS3. The TV is real sharp with games in the 320x240p area in component video (My Neo Geo AES). So, I turn the sharpness to 60-64 out of 100 for it. I also have to sit back 9 feet with those systems or they will look a little pixelated. It is a big TV.

Even the PS2 (for example) in 480i looks on par with 480p just about. I think it converts 480i to 480p native, so the picture looks more stable. It also supports 480P and 1080i really well.

Now this TV automatically does VSM (Advanced Velocity Scan Modulation) which is bad to have on. No need to fear, there is an easy as hell way to disable it, which took me a while to find out about on the internet and it wasn't mention in the owners manual at all:

1. Go to the video preferences menu.
2. Where it says Standard, Sports, Movie, etc... Choose "MOVIE".
3. From there you can change contrast, brightness sharpness, color temp, etc..
4. Save preference

There you go, no VSM with outlined crappy text and sprites. Stupid that they didn't put an on/off option for it.

So if you have a Toshiba TV of this sort, try this out if your TV doesn't have options to turn off VSM.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
There is no way of knowing if the machine will work on your LCD without trying it. Odds are it won't.

My NG CDZ looks great on my Samsung 656 LCD (euro). I'm using RGB and the difference compared to composite is vast. The image is slightly underscanned. 1/3 of an inch or so but it's no biggie on such a big screen. :)

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I know this thread is more for aes but, I have A 32 inch vizio lcd with my wii hooked up using component cables. I Downloaded Blue's Journey and the game has no picture but sound works fine. The weird thing is I can play all my other vc games no problem.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I just got my Neo back from Jeff Kurtz and, my Sony Bravia 40" LCD works perfect in component! It did take a while to get the color, brightness, hue and sharpness just rite but damn it has a freakin phenominal picture :buttrock: Heres the specs in case you guys were wondering. Sony Bravia 40" LCD model# KDL-40S4100 120V-240V 50/60Hz 210W

foxhunter

n00b
CMVS and AES
32 samsung series3

no problem playing it, but for me all old consoles is best for crt tv not for lcd.

I am having trouble making a "new" post; so, I felt I would just respond here. Has anyone here ever tried this product or a similar one on the Neo-Geo Cart or CD home system?

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-scaler.html

This product claims to "upscale" any composite or S-Video device to 1080p! The specs along with all other pertinent information is included on the website. I am considering purchasing it instead of modding my Neo-Geo home cart system further. My cart system was already modded with S-Video and one of the earlier debug bios chips.

Terrific

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am having trouble making a "new" post; so, I felt I would just respond here. Has anyone here ever tried this product or a similar one on the Neo-Geo Cart or CD home system?

This product claims to "upscale" any composite or S-Video device to 1080p! The specs along with all other pertinent information is included on the website. I am considering purchasing it instead of modding my Neo-Geo home cart system further. My cart system was already modded with S-Video and one of the earlier debug bios chips.

Terrific

You do know that the Neo outputs RGB via the AV jack right? Why would you want to upscale composite or s-video to 1080p instead of RGB?

So at what resolution is the RGB output at? RGB should be far superior to S-Video. Yet, if that is true, why is everyone modding their system with an S-Video out jack? Moreover, why have Jeff Kurtz mod a system with component video when RGB should do the trick?

Terrific

Last edited:
I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.

Question #1. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is BETTER than composite or S-video, WHY is everyone modding or having Jeff Kurtz mod their system with S-video?
Question #2. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is better WHY mod it with component out?

Terrific

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.

Question #1. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is BETTER than composite or S-video, WHY is everyone modding or having Jeff Kurtz mod their system with S-video?
Question #2. IF the RGB output on the home cart system is better WHY mod it with component out?

Terrific

1. In the US RGB is not normally accepted by US made TVs. Mods using a different encoder enable a better a clearer signal available to the end user.
2. In the US RGB is not normally accepted by US made TVs. Mods using a different encoder enable a better a clearer signal available to the end user.

RGB is the highest signal available for the Neo but TVs in the US can not process the signal which is why people mod their systems to have a better than composite output.

You can however use an RGB to scart cable and connect it to a scart to component converter to connect to your TV, which is just another way of getting component out of your Neo. The Neo via component is output at 480i.

I do have Scart cables. However what you are saying is that I would still require a Scart to component converter and still it would only output to a maximum of 480i! Yet again, the converter box I linked to will output to 1080p!

Composite / S-Video to HDMI Scaler w/All Audio-1080p

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-scaler.html#ixzz0r3hft6De

"This Composite Video to HDMI Scaler can upscale to 1080p the following 480i devices:
Any Dish Network and DirecTV receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
TiVo's with composite or S-Video outputs
Any cable receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
Canadian Rogers, Shaw, Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice receivers with composite or S-Video outputs
Any "Over The Air" (OTA) high definition receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
WII, Sony PS2 and PS3, HD DVD and Blu-ray DVD players with composite or S-Video outputs
Any GameCube, Atari or Xbox with composite or S-Video outputs
Any Laser Disk with composite or S-Video outputs
Any DVD player with composite or S-Video outputs
Any VCR with composite or S-Video outputs
An APPLE TV with component outputs
Any PC video card with composite or S-Video outputs
Any camcorder with composite or S-Video outputs
Many A/V surround sound receivers with composite or S-Video switching.
and other similar devices."

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-scaler.html#ixzz0r3fgW4bW

If the converter above is not sufficient, I found this one.

9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher - 720p or 1080p Scaled

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html#ixzz0r3hYBoRo

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html

This 9X1 to HDMI Scaler & Switcher is capable of switching between 9 sources, scaling any one of the sources up to HDMI. The output resolution is also selectable between 720p and 1080p. It does not output a 1080i signal for interfacing with a 1080i TV or projector, only 720p and 1080p.

The 9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher will convert practically all analog video formats to HDMI, including component, composite, S-video, VGA, stereo audio (integrated into the HDMI output signal) and SCART. It also up-scales the resolution to only 720p and 1080p. Again, 1080i is not supported.

Switching between your many sources is easy with the included remote. This 9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher is HDCP and HDMI 1.3 compliant, supporting DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio formats as well.

If you prefer, you can also control this switch/converter/scaler with RS-232 automatically. 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 are input display modes supported in standard definition, and 16:9 and 16:10 are the supported widescreen inputs.

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html#ixzz0r3hTVytS

Terrific

Last edited:
Once again, someone has erased my post.

Composite / S-Video to HDMI Scaler w/All Audio-1080p

This Composite Video to HDMI Scaler can upscale to 1080p the following 480i devices:
Any Dish Network and DirecTV receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
TiVo's with composite or S-Video outputs
Any cable receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
Canadian Rogers, Shaw, Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice receivers with composite or S-Video outputs
Any "Over The Air" (OTA) high definition receiver with composite or S-Video outputs
WII, Sony PS2 and PS3, HD DVD and Blu-ray DVD players with composite or S-Video outputs
Any GameCube, Atari or Xbox with composite or S-Video outputs
Any Laser Disk with composite or S-Video outputs
Any DVD player with composite or S-Video outputs
Any VCR with composite or S-Video outputs
An APPLE TV with component outputs
Any PC video card with composite or S-Video outputs
Any camcorder with composite or S-Video outputs
Many A/V surround sound receivers with composite or S-Video switching.
and other similar devices.

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-scaler.html#ixzz0r3orQx3t

9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher - 1080p

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html

9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher Input Resolutions Converted to 720p/1080p (not 1080i):
HDMI1/HDMI2:
480i
480p
576i
576p
720p (50HZ; 60HZ)
1080i(50;60 HZ) and
1080p(50HZ; 60HZ)

This 9X1 to HDMI Scaler & Switcher is capable of switching between 9 sources, scaling any one of the sources up to HDMI. The output resolution is also selectable between 720p and 1080p. It does not output a 1080i signal for interfacing with a 1080i TV or projector, only 720p and 1080p.

The 9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher will convert practically all analog video formats to HDMI, including component, composite, S-video, VGA, stereo audio (integrated into the HDMI output signal) and SCART. It also up-scales the resolution to only 720p and 1080p. Again, 1080i is not supported.

Switching between your many sources is easy with the included remote. This 9X1 HDMI Scaler Switcher is HDCP and HDMI 1.3 compliant, supporting DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio formats as well.

If you prefer, you can also control this switch/converter/scaler with RS-232 automatically. 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 are input display modes supported in standard definition, and 16:9 and 16:10 are the supported widescreen inputs.

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html#ixzz0r3pJzQ4Z

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-scaler-switcher.html#ixzz0r3pDSkks

It would appear that either of these products would work wonders for the Neo-Geo.

Terrific

Read more: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/svideo-to-hdmi-scaler.html#ixzz0r3hft6De