The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
In this case it is very likely the scart socket is only wired for RGB. Simply plugging in an adapter like that is pretty much doing nothing but you don't need an encoder of any sort if you have a Sony PVM. (unless your PVM doesn't have RGB inputs, what model do you have?) You will need a scart rgb to BNC cable like this.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-converter-cable

Awesome! Thank you! I picked up a set of SCART>RGB cables very similar to the ones you linked and it works like a charm!

IMG_20160428_214104_zpsv4y17xb4.jpg
IMG_20160428_215154_zps3arnbm2x.jpg
IMG_20160428_214844_zps8kdwwclo.jpg
IMG_20160428_214324_zpsjte68acc.jpg

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Looks really great! Your black levels (brightness knob) look a little high; you want to turn it down just so that the black of Haohmaru's hair is completely dark (no lines visible in the black area).

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Looks really great! Your black levels (brightness knob) look a little high; you want to turn it down just so that the black of Haohmaru's hair is completely dark (no lines visible in the black area).

Cool, thank you! I'll play around with that to see if I can fix. :)

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Has anyone used a 4K TV to play neo geo?
Any lag?
Or framemeister and 4K?
Any info would be appreciated!

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I use framemeister and 4K projector time to time. Framemeister scales to 720p and I let the projector do the rest of the scaling. And yes, tons of lag, framemeister + about 30ms from the screen. But its playable.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Has anyone used a 4K TV to play neo geo?
Any lag?
Or framemeister and 4K?
Any info would be appreciated!

i play both aes / omega through a framemeister (also set to 720p) on a 4k panel (samsung f9090, set to gamemode) - i can´t "see & feel" any lags...

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Thanks for the info guys I am undecided still cause the newer the technology the more incompatible it becomes with 240 res machines.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
CONFIRMED!! 50" Samsung LED (model: UN50J5200)

Perfect picture and stable as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1908 (1).JPG
    IMG_1908 (1).JPG
    781.8 KB · Views: 214

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice to see you got it working... but "perfect"? Hell no, that shit is stretched to hell... can you put it into 4:3 mode?
How's the lag?

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
nice to see you got it working... but "perfect"? Hell no, that shit is stretched to hell... can you put it into 4:3 mode?
How's the lag?

Perfect picture as in sharp, clean, non-pixelated and with scanlines? Hell F***ing no lol. But perfect as in working, with no judder, no scrambled picture, and very playable? Absolutely

I'm sure there's a bit of lag somewhere, but I haven't noticed anything honestly. It plays just how my eyes see it on my JVC CRT

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I can't do lag and whatever I've tried eg. Framemeister, it never looks as good as on a good CRT when you're loading these up on 50' plus LCDs etc.

ProGEO

n00b
NTSC here and using a ShinyBow SB-2840 SCART to YUV converter and things are primarily peachy, but I do see some tearing here and there on certain screens (generally a quick "versus" type screen that displays who is versus who in a fighting game might tear a little at the top of the screen), but it is primarily perfect on my Sony KV-27FS100L CRT TV. When I was using a lesser name brand SCART converter, things were tearing much more and was not playable. If anyone needs any more information surrounding this setup, just ask.

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope this is the wright place to ask a compatibility question. Ive been a Neo player both AES and CD for a long time but due to health problems its been about 5 years since Ive plugged in and turned on both consoles. Now Im having some issues with my AES and I'm not sure if its an issues with the TV, console or the cables, hopefully somebody will no. Im using the normal multi pin socket on the back of the AES for all the leads and Ive enclosed some pictures of the three cables I have and the TV Im using. Now the issues Im having is the picture displays perfect but the sound is the problem, the sound works OK but as you go along it'll screech high pitched then go back to normal then a 20 seconds later it'll screech again. Now I no the cable are pretty rubbish ones but thats all I have at the moment and Im not sure if the console, cables or TV at fault. Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance.

Well Ive had to add a bit on to this original message as for some reason it won't let me upload the pictures but I have three cables all with the multi pin one end and then one goes to two phonos (video and audio), the second to three phonos (video, left and right audio) and the third to a scart with a 3.5mm headphone. With all these cables I get this screeching just hope somebody can help and sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
CONFIRMED!! 50" Samsung LED (model: UN50J5200)

LED Colors are great they're pretty much as good as CRT to me. If someone made a 50" 4:3 low resolution oled I could finally get rid of crts as I don't care about scanlines at all just proper blacks and aspect ratios.

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is there a consensus on what is the correct combination of resistors and or capacitors to use on the RGB and sync lines when connecting a consolized MVS to a framemeister?

Erhgiez

n00b
Hi, I’m currently trying to find a CRT in the UK that will work with a supergun that outputs rgb Scart. Does anyone have any specific models they can suggest? Most listings don’t state the specifics so it can be difficult to determine

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hi, I’m currently trying to find a CRT in the UK that will work with a supergun that outputs rgb Scart. Does anyone have any specific models they can suggest? Most listings don’t state the specifics so it can be difficult to determine

99% of CRT Tv’s have Scart input.
Unless you pick up one of the really old buggers that just have a aerial jack but I would be surprised if theres was any of them left in a working condition lol

Keep a look out on facebook market, Freecycle etc etc.

They are out there if you look but getting harder to find.

Erhgiez

n00b
99% of CRT Tv’s have Scart input.
Unless you pick up one of the really old buggers that just have a aerial jack but I would be surprised if theres was any of them left in a working condition lol

Keep a look out on facebook market, Freecycle etc etc.

They are out there if you look but getting harder to find.

It's more a 50/60Hz issue, I'm not sure what the supergun puts out but I'm assuming it is 60Hz. A lot of old CRT TVs in the UK will be 50hz and probably cause sync issues, so I'm not sure which ones to go for, I see Sony Wegas mentioned but they are HUGE and I don't have space. Perhaps a 21" one or something that I can also use in an arcade cab.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah the 60hz thing can be a real problem unless you have them modded to put out 50hz PAL (if possible with a super gun I have No idea!)

Its only really the newer CRT’s that could handle 60hz NTSC.

Afraid to say they are in even shorter supply than regular CRT’s.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Confirmed: Sony 50X900E 4K TV and Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 home theater accepts Neo Geo Omega MVS over component.

Tried several games with no visual issues, only have a slight delay when the console boots before it displays but that’s to be expected.

Slight video noise on solid colors - not very noticeable, most likely due to using component and not SCART.

Last edited: