The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Omega CMVS, switch set to component, using omega-provided component cable.
LG 32LS3450 LED TV.

No image at all on component (it says "invalid format"). Any idea if this is fixable?

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Omega CMVS, switch set to component, using omega-provided component cable.
LG 32LS3450 LED TV.

No image at all on component (it says "invalid format"). Any idea if this is fixable?

Regards.

If its a 32" LCD then no. You need an upscaler like an xrgb.

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a 50inch led TV, most probably either Panasonic, Samsung or LG. Will the omega work fine with it?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I own a 47" LG LED tv, model number 47LH90.

When connecting the Omega to my TV with the component (YPbPr) cable I receive the message "signal error" followed by a black screen.
When connecting via S-Video cable I get a very poor quality (fuzzy edges, flickery interlaced picture) image.

If you're planning on using the Omega with any LCD I would highly recommend getting a XRGB.

If your like me, simply use the Euro SCART cable with a LM1881 (sync stripper) and display it on a PVM... The quality blows away everything else!
I snapped this comparison shot from my 14L5...
RGBs+BNC4-vs-YPbPr+Component.png

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For 240p gaming I would recommend a Samsung as they usually sync to 240p sources on 42" and up.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's not LCD, it's LED (but it is 32"). Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

An LED is an LCD. LED is just the type of lighting. It isn't about the LCD, it's the minimum resolution requirement for your TV. I'm guessing yours is 480i minimum.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
An LED is an LCD. LED is just the type of lighting. It isn't about the LCD, it's the minimum resolution requirement for your TV. I'm guessing yours is 480i minimum.

Damn, that's bad news for me :(

Thanks for the information, Xian Xi.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I also have a 32" Samsung LED in the bedroom, Omega don't work (no 240p support) on that as well.
I haven't tested a ton of TV's yet, but out of my two and my friends two... I haven't found a LCD that supports it via component (only S-Video).

So I repeat, if you plan on using the Omega with a LCD, just do yourself a favor and get a XRGB.
That or ditch the idea of LCD all together and get a Sony PVM (CRTz 4Lyfe y'all).

Thanks guys for the advice. What about Toshiba 50" LED TV TSB-50L2300?
Does it also mean if i were to get the XRGB Framemeister it will work with any LED TV from any brand?

Btw, what about Plasma TV? Panasonic also has a 51 inch plasma and it's cheap. Anyone with experience?

thanks

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I just tested my Omega CMVS with a Samsung UN22C4000P (LED, 22") via component and it looks beautiful, so my Omega works perfectly and the problem is the LG 32"LED TV :(

Regards.

Hi;
Sounds to me that there is no way to know which tv works best other than testing it out. Would appreciate for any advice. tq

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
As Xian pointed out, Samsung TV's seem to have the best compatibility with 240p via component... That being said, not all models support it! Until we have a database online listing exactly which ones do, its a gamble.

The XRGB-mini isn't "cheap" by any means (in fact you can find most 20" PVMs for way less) but owning one will guarantee any LCD or future HDMI display (supporting 1080p) will work. Also you can enable scanlines on the upscaler, something even a supporting LCD can't/won't give you.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Best advice I can give you is to take a 240p device with a component output with you when you buy a TV. I've done it and they let you test it out of course, if they don't then buy your TV elsewhere.

Volvonate

n00b
I have a LCD screen that plays pther boards like my X-men VS Street Fighter fine but when I try to connect my MVS 1-slot I get sound be the screen says no signal input. Would this be a case of needing a CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD-Converter PCB ?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
a lot of LCD screens hate the MVS's signal. It has an odd one. Try it on a different TV.

Volvonate

n00b
What kind of converter should I get then? Because the jamma cord ends with the 6 pin slot and I have no other monitor that can use that. Also would the NeoGeo MVS to JAMMA Inline Adapter maybe work for this? or is that just for audio only.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I'd like to report the Samsung UN32C5000 (32" LED TV). It works beautifully with my Omega CMVS using Component.

Regards.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I can't make a new thread, so I'll post here.

I've just finished developing a perfect 2:1 upscaler for Neo Geo MVS and AES. Better than converting RGB to component is to have pixel-perfect VGA going to a TV or monitor! This solution is 100% lagless as it does not buffer even an entire frame in memory, but rather just each line. Vertical sync is perfect, and there is never a dropped frame or tearing - it's more or less physically impossible. The advantage here with running native VGA to a display is that it must perform much less / no scaling and post-processing. There will be no cheap TV trying to de-interlace, no unintentional smoothing of images, and compatibility with a wide range of devices.

Scanlines are optional. Here are pictures of it running on my Dell LCD monitor and an old beat up PC CRT monitor with and without scanlines. The DAC isn't quite perfect yet as I am just using my FPGA dev board's on-board VGA DAC. For the final product I make I will be reproducing the Neo Geo DAC as it originally was so the color accuracy will be perfect. No colorspace conversion like with Component so there's a much greater chance of this looking good on anyone'

lcd_full.JPG

crt_full.JPG

lcd_lines.JPG

crt_lines.JPG

mai_close2.JPG

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Just for verification this is NOT an emulator. Here is my (heavily beaten up and then repaired) MV-1C:
new_wiring.JPG

Also, this wasn't documented anywhere, so here is the MV-1C dac:
rgb_pins.JPG

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Nice work. Are you doing this on a scanline basis? I wrote similar code that does it that way as well.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
VIZIO E321VL is a 32 inch LCD that takes 240p component input just fine. I have an early 1080p version from 2011. The built in upscaler is decent.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Basically, as a new RGB line is being captured, the previous one is being drawn twice.
Here is a video of it working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEA6anvHBEA

Just watched the video. Very nice work. You mentioned you wanted to try to fit the code onto a cpld. You might have a hard time finding a cpld with enough gates and/or registers to fit an entire scanlines worth of pixels.