The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sticky please.

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread totally devoted to the compatibility of the Neo Geo and your specific TV using Component video.

Please state:

NGH(AES) or MVS
Brand and Model of TV
Type of TV (CRT or Plasma/LCD)
Any Picture Problems

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
AES, MVS (both using RGB->yuv component converter)
Celestial CT3401 34cm (14inch)
CRT
No picture problems.

Last edited:

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
MVS using Neobitz or JROK
Sony KDF-46E200 Rear Projection LCD
Works great!

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
Component video did not work with my old Westinghouse LCD or my current Panansonic PDP-5020 Kuro plasma.

I tried both through Component and HDMI upconvert through my receiver, neither worked properly on either set.

My AES has a jrok board.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
NGH and CMVS
Panasonic Viera 50" TH-50PX75U
Plasma

Notes:
NGH tested currently run via composite output and works just fine (will post back later about neobitz once I install that). CMVS output to tv via neobitz with composite being shaky, svideo being pretty smooth but having games usually offset with about a 1% black bar on either the left or the right of the screen, and component has a 1% bar on the top where everything skews about 45 degrees to the left. Colors look great and everything besides the slight offset issues works very well. Really not all that noticeable once you get used to it with the only time it's a pain is when scores are listed pretty far up to the top and they get scrambled a bit.

NGH and CMVS
Sharp 36" 32C421
CRT

Notes:
Normal composite shakes on both systems. A+ for everything else. Colors seem extra vibrant with CMVS component on this guy.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
MVS
27" Toshiba 27A43
CRT
Works Great

My NGH only has s-vid & composite but the s-vid looks awesome on the set too!

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Great thread for sticky, as HDTV compatibility is really a pain.

AES serial #031084
Sony WEGA 27" CRT
Neobitz

Had to add a 0.01 uf ceramic capacitor on the sync line to keep screen from rolling in component video. After that, its been working great with all video types.

Also tried using on 2 Westinghouse HDTVs at parents house. Does not work with any video types.

xorthen

Banned
NEO AES
Modded for component, s-video, unibios installed
TV
Samsung Model SP-P4251, 16:9 PDP, 1080i, 720p, RGB
Voltage 120 V~, 60 HZ

Screen flickers almost constantly,picture does show but there is flickering. I have tried all video inputs S-Video,Component,AV (haven't tried RGB PC) with no luck.

If someone can help me resolve the problem without having to buy a new TV I would appreciate it very much.

Noisepurge

New Challenger
Screen flickers almost constantly,picture does show but there is flickering. I have tried all video inputs S-Video,Component,AV (haven't tried RGB PC) with no luck.

If someone can help me resolve the problem without having to buy a new TV I would appreciate it very much.

Like i said in my previous post, i came to a compromise with an HDMI converter that fixes the flickering but a small "vibration" remains, making the neo very playable.

Still, i have not seen a perfect, straight off the box LCD TV, that could handle the neo...

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I have a small 15" or so Sharp CRT that has always worked fine with NTSC neo.
I have a 26" Toshiba LCDTV that displays it no problem, but lag for gaming is not acceptable even after turning off post processing features in options

question: there's a 21" or something Sony Trinitron at a pawn shop which I think would make a decent TV for all my old consoles, I hear they're great quality sets but they want a quite a bit for it. Is it a good buy? compatible with neo and all?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
question: there's a 21" or something Sony Trinitron at a pawn shop which I think would make a decent TV for all my old consoles, I hear they're great quality sets but they want a quite a bit for it. Is it a good buy? compatible with neo and all?

Good buy? Depends on what they are asking.

But I use a 27" trinitron for my older consoles a lot and it's great. Mainly use it for my aes, saturn, and super fami.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
NGH: Component/S-Video modded by Jeff Kurtz with Neobitz.

Component and S-Video works on:

Samsung 32" LCD: Model LN32A550

Component and S-Video did not work on:

Olevia 27" LCD: Model LT27HVX

gudrummer

n00b
NGH:Component using an external box from Jamma Nation X;Vertical stripes fixed as well

Samsung 32" LCD LN-3251

Light sync problem with top lines,mostly with old games,but hardly an issue.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
NGH with JM Kurtz Neobitz Component mod
US Model #011504
Panasonic Tau 34" CT-34WX54 CRT

Works perfectly in with all connections but then it should, it´s a CRT.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Like i said in my previous post, i came to a compromise with an HDMI converter that fixes the flickering but a small "vibration" remains, making the neo very playable.

Still, i have not seen a perfect, straight off the box LCD TV, that could handle the neo...

I have a Sony 52" KDL-52W4100 that works just fine with my AES via composite video. From time to time you catch the top of the screen may flicker or overlap, but I have seen it much much worse on CRTs. I purchased a 21" CRT from Target not long ago to use just for my AES. It turned out to be more out of sync than any other display I ever used with the AES. I had to bring it back.

If you run the AES composite through the inputs of a JVC HR-J692U vcr the composite signal will work beautiful for all displays, lcd and crt alike.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Any newer VCR will do that.

Not really. I've tried this with cheap VCRs and it does not help the AES signal at all. In fact a more expensive JVC vcr that is svhs does not improve the signal like the particular JVC model I listed earlier. I've tried many many vcrs with many many TVs and the JVC I mentioned is the best I have been able to find.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
AES Serial No. 170047
Using a Neo Geo AES External Encoder Module supplied by Jamma Nation X.
Hooked up to a Haier HTR20 CRT

Even though I am using only S-video, everything works fine.

Edit: I have even used a CMVS of a MV-1 board and it works just fine with the same encoder as well.

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
JAP 224XXX AES
RGB-Mod
50/60Hz switch

----
MEDION 3795VT

Problem: Black & White only (with composite or rgb cable)

The TV can handle other NTSC video sources in color, e.g. my Japanese Sega Saturn, but it seems to hate my AES.
----
SONY KV-C292

Everything perfect!

Drumjay

n00b
NGH(AES)

Serial No. 043574 UK Power adapted. RGB Mod. Bios 3.0

Will not work on a CRT due to the low refresh rate at 60hz.
Screen flicks like a pulse.
But works fine on a Samsung 50" Plasma. 100hz

NGH (AES)

Serial No. 100521 Jap no mods, basic model.

Will work on a Bush 28 widescreen CRT at 60hz.

MVS MV1FS/ Supergun.

Bush 28 widescreen CRT

Scart RGB connection. No problems

Sting_HP

n00b
Great thread. I guess now I will have to dig out my old tube tv to play this instead of on my lcd.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I'll pitch in.

Sony HD CRT 34" 16:9
Model KD-34XBR910

CMVS works great w/ S-video. A bit saturated but looks sharp and good. Minor graphical issues with shadows and transparencies (LB2 character shadows and sword swings) looking like scan-lines. I think this is due to the TV scaling non HD inputs to 1080i HD.

Otherwise looks excellent.

I'll update when I build CMVS #2 with component.