The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah get a new cable, and make sure youve got the right power supply. Itll tell you on the bottom what it needs, cause they arent all the same. Clean the cart terminals in the machine and on the cart and try it again.

adid727

n00b
Hi i am new to this website. I live in Canada and I just got a new japanese Neo Geo aes. When i plugged in the system into my tv, it worked, but in black and white. It came with the standered white and yellow video-out cable. The game i played was the 161 in 1 MVS cartridge and i used an MVS convertor to hook it to my NEO GEO. What I want to know is what do i need to do to get the system to work in color? plz help!

adid727

n00b
i guess no one is here...

http://tux.crystalxp.net/png/pusio-yankees-tux-18626.png[/IMG

[URL="http://moviewired.com"]we support our troops[/URL]

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi i am new to this website. I live in Canada and I just got a new japanese Neo Geo aes. When i plugged in the system into my tv, it worked, but in black and white. It came with the standered white and yellow video-out cable. The game i played was the 161 in 1 MVS cartridge and i used an MVS convertor to hook it to my NEO GEO. What I want to know is what do i need to do to get the system to work in color? plz help!

Are you sure it's not a PAL unit? Only way to make sure is to open it up. There are 4-5 screws on the bottom of the unit 3 screws under the rubber feet and then 1 or 2 in plain sight. After you open it up snap some pics of the board and close to the encoder.

Lan Di

War Room Troll
I have a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV and all my systems except for my Neo Geo AES will work on this TV. All of my systems are connected via SCART RBG converted to component RGB. This device seems to be the best solution for my situation because I do not have the room for an HD CRT, and I do not want to gamble on buying another LCD TV.
31EETBStr-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link......http://www.amazon.com/LENKENG-LKV362-Converter-up-scales-including/dp/B005HKD8J8/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

tangaroa

n00b
A Few Questions

So my Neo simply wont display a constant picture anymore (the screen keeps blanking out and it always occurs at the exact same spots on any game, although the newer the game and higher the megs, the worse the drop outs get). I recently bought a new LG 3-D LED 47W5600 and as soon as I can afford it plan to get a new modded Neo AES with component and svideo and the like. I hooked up my old Neo to the new TV via composite and noticed on some games it flickers up and down(Sam Sho 1), some only very slightly(Mark of the Wolves), and others it doesnt and looks fine(Magician Lord and MS3 work perfectly), although not great(not counting the drop outs, which it started doing even when I had my CRT, so I am sure it's the system and not the TV.) Any other systems hooked up to this new TV, from a Neo CD and NES with composite, to a N64 with S-Video(upscaled to HDMI as my TV does not have S-Video) doesnt look half bad at all with no video issues to speak of.
Am I understanding correctly that my TV might not display anything in component at all if I get a neo with component out?
Would S-video work considering it would have to go through the upscaler first?
Just FYI the picture actually looks quite descent(besides the flicker) in composite considering its an LED(not as good as CRT though) but I am more concerned with
a)it works in component or at least S-video and
b)it doesnt flicker

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated

NEO-GEO man

The issue could be with the 240p signal. My Faroudja scaler will take the NES composite and looks fine, it wont take the NEO-GEO, Mega Drive, Master System, or the SNES ( does something simular to what you describe ). It will take the 3DO, and will also take the PS1 and Saturn if the game is in the interlaced output ( 480i or 576i depending on the region of the machine i use )

Having said all that, this could be the issue with your TV not displaying your NEO-GEO properly. The CD machine has a different encoder and a different video output circuit, ive never tested it with the scaler i have.

These things can be tricky to work out, cause i have also got a couple digital projectors here, and the Epson doesnt start til 31kHz, so its out before it starts, the InFocus DLP will take all the 240p signals, but wont correctly display the 480i and 576i signals. Ive now got 4 CRT projectors and they will take every single 15.75kHz signal known to man.

Lan Di

War Room Troll
I have a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV and all my systems except for my Neo Geo AES will work on this TV. All of my systems are connected via SCART RBG converted to component RGB. This device seems to be the best solution for my situation because I do not have the room for an HD CRT, and I do not want to gamble on buying another LCD TV.
31EETBStr-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link......http://www.amazon.com/LENKENG-LKV362-Converter-up-scales-including/dp/B005HKD8J8/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

I just got this thing the other day and no luck. It actually makes the picture look worse than composite. Buyer beware. :(

hi all
I use samsung lec40 lcd 40' inch and samsung lec32 lcd 32' inch tv's and samsung 28' crt tv FOR ALL MY CONSOLES .
And have great picture quality on all 3 tv's with every console i own except the 1 below
NGH-AES-US-SN-36000-AES-3-4-RGB-SCART PICTURE NOT FINE MISSES OUT SPECIAL MOVES ON FIGHTING GAMES ? .
Compared to my other NGH-AES-3-4-US-SN-53000-RGB-SCART PICTURE IS PERFECT CLEAR ? .
could there be a fault with older one ?

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and unable to start new threads, so I hope no one minds my posting to this one.
I own a Neo-Geo AES (serial #17521) and a Neo-Geo CD.
The Neo-Geo CD works great through S-video on my Panasonic CRT (CT-27624A, circa 2000).
I hoped a Neotropolis AES mod (with JROK 4.1 encoder) would work equally well, but it doesn't.
The JROK outputs a very horizontally wavy image, which I assume is unstable H-sync.
It's not isolated to this TV; virtually any TV that syncs the system shows it to some degree. I've tried to document every finding here with photos or video examples.
http://www.anthrofox.org/projects/neo_geo_jrok.html

In researching this forum I've found the following comments.
From
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?217328-Issues-with-JROK-component&highlight=JROK
"You can try putting a 0.1uf cap on the sync line on the sync input to the encoder and see if that works."

and

"...you can't run a cab parallel to the jrok it has to run serial using the rgb pass thru."

From this thread, regarding a Neobitz, there was the suggestion "try adding a 0.01-0.10uf ceramic capacitor to the Sync output from the Neobitz encoder if you get no results from component video at all."

So what might be a good plan of attack in this case?
1. The JROK was installed in parallel with the Sony TV encoder, and the JROK's capacitive loading DOES cause problems on the Sony encoder (dark image). Should the JROK's RGB/Sync/GND passthrough be fed in to the Sony chip instead? (i.e. is the Neotropolis REI mod inherently flawed?)
2. Would an additional 0.1uF cap be advised? And can someone explain schematically exactly how it should be connected?
- close to the JROK sync input or somewhere else?
- signal-to-ground or in-line with signal?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Tehtriggerman

Quiz Detective
Japanese AES modded with component/s-video/RCA with 3.0 unibios by
Neotropolis. No image via component on 37"inch Vizio LCD. No image on 47" LG LCD. RCA works but its so distorted its useless to me. Currently hooked up to a 32" Sony WEGA CRT via component. Looks fantastic.

Also have a consolized MVS unit hooked up via S-video for testing to the WEGA and it's great. Can't test on my LCD's as they lack an S-video input.

Last edited:

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Hey all. I recently wanted to try and get the best picture possible and since my crt shit the bed I only have HDTV LED Flats in my house. Neotropolis is selling a REI Neo Geo AES System/Console • HDTV Component, S-Video, Stereo, UniBios + SNK. Says its component and composite and svideo. does anyone know if these will work good on the new tvs?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Hey all. I recently wanted to try and get the best picture possible and since my crt shit the bed I only have HDTV LED Flats in my house. Neotropolis is selling a REI Neo Geo AES System/Console • HDTV Component, S-Video, Stereo, UniBios + SNK. Says its component and composite and svideo. does anyone know if these will work good on the new tvs?

Honestly, you will get a much better deal if you buy a Neo Geo and send it off to get a Unibios, NeoBitz Component/S-video, stereo and LED mod. Or see if you can find one from someone in the selling section of the forums here. If you pay more than $350 for a great condition system fully modded, it is too much. It will cost like $200 less than KPJ (Neotropolis) if you get one elsewhere. Even though he does decent work and the systems are in great condition, he tends to charge as high as possible for modded systems and even games. Also, you just about always end up with the less sought out Pro bean shaped stick.

Also, using component video with a NeoGeo on a HDTV LCD has a high chance of not working. So it might work on 1 or 2 of your sets if you are lucky.

Edit: Take a look at all the pages in this thread and see if you see that your HDTV models are listed as 'Working'.

Make sure you have a nice Sony Trinitron standard definition CRT or something. LCD HDTVs do not like the 240p resolution and vertical refresh rate of the Neo Geo with component video. Some LCD HDTVs don't even like the composite or S-video of the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
MVS into a GBS 8220 V3.0 chained into a board taken from an LKV350 (deshelled and soldered it to +5v/Ground and to one of the GBS 8220's VGA ports) connected to DENON AVR-591 into a Westinghouse TW-61601-K042A seems to work pretty much perfectly, although with a not-entirely-unappealing visual "warp" around sprites...hard to explain...the warp seems to be coming from the GBS 8220 because I can see it (less pronounced) even running the VGA to the TV, but it's magnified when it also goes through the LKV350. It's also possible that it could be a factor of "revealing" some technical aspect of the MVS video chipset that's not apparent on the originally intended display setup.

On the GSB 8220 I use settings Hposition 48, Vposition 16, Hsize 51, Vsize 58 Clamp St 90 Clamp SP 91, Output 1024x768 (the LKV350 doesn't take 1366x768), Other settings as default, except Sharpness 5 (default seems blurred). This slightly cuts off the sides in some games, but conceals the black bars that go most of the way vertically along the edges outside of TV safety used to protect the scrolling regions in Metal Slug and other games.

The 640x480 mode on the GSB 8220 would seem like a perfect fit for the Neo, but personally I find 1024x768 more pleasing to the eye, there may be a setting that makes 640x480 perfect, but probably that's only going to be appropriate if you directly pump that into your TV instead of then coding it again with the LVK350.

Of course, in reality I've got three different size shifts going on here because I'm going nominally 320x224 to 1024x768 to 1280x720 to 1920x1080...I haven't tried an LKV352 but it might be more appropriate (accepts 1360x768 and outputs 1920x1080) if you intend to replicate.

NEO-GEO man

Make sure you have a nice Sony Trinitron standard definition CRT or something.
Why not a HD Sony CRT?? But then why just a Sony?? Why not a Philips?? Why not an NEC? What not a Panasonic? All 3 of those brands are equal to or better than a Sony, and all those CRTs could be had in SD, ED, and HD.

NEC would be my first pick EVERY time, followed by Panasonic.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Why not a HD Sony CRT?? But then why just a Sony?? Why not a Philips?? Why not an NEC? What not a Panasonic? All 3 of those brands are equal to or better than a Sony, and all those CRTs could be had in SD, ED, and HD.

NEC would be my first pick EVERY time, followed by Panasonic.

Cause the Sony WEGA Trinitron sets from 1999-2005 or so, are great quality and much more common here in the states. A lot of people have these sets and they tend to be easy to find, usually 27-32", reasonably priced, a balanced combination of being very reliable and great quality for a SDTV in the US. Then, Toshiba being pretty much the next best thing with some sets. BTW, you just about never see NEC sets here out in the wild, lol. Hell, I don't really remember seeing one at all since maybe the mid 90's. If you go with other brands you usually get mixed results or a set that doesn't have all that great digital comb filtering (no improved composite and S-video) or RGB like component video.

Don't forget, RGB sets are a luxury if you can find a nice one here. Some of them, you have to buy a BNC convertor since they are TV studio or hospital equipment monitors, no bigger than 20" and you have to use a separate sound system.

Also, most HD CRTs get rid of the scanlines when playing in 240p, so I suggest a SD due to being cheaper and more desired for older consoles. Maybe an ED sets, but those are a littler harder to just up and come by. Good HD projector sets you have to have the right set-up in your room for and are a lot pricier.

Not everyone can get just up and get a NEC 1080i CRT projector with electromagnetic focusing that also puts out nice scanlines in every resolution... just sayin.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Well my t.v's are all new within the last three months. No hope or room at going old school. just have to hope and pray i guess.

NEO-GEO man

Cause the Sony WEGA Trinitron sets from 1999-2005 or so, are great quality and much more common here in the states. A lot of people have these sets and they tend to be easy to find, usually 27-32", reasonably priced, a balanced combination of being very reliable and great quality for a SDTV in the US. Then, Toshiba being pretty much the next best thing with some sets. BTW, you just about never see NEC sets here out in the wild, lol. Hell, I don't really remember seeing one at all since maybe the mid 90's. If you go with other brands you usually get mixed results or a set that doesn't have all that great digital comb filtering (no improved composite and S-video) or RGB like component video.

Don't forget, RGB sets are a luxury if you can find a nice one here. Some of them, you have to buy a BNC convertor since they are TV studio or hospital equipment monitors, no bigger than 20" and you have to use a separate sound system.

Also, most HD CRTs get rid of the scanlines when playing in 240p, so I suggest a SD due to being cheaper and more desired for older consoles. Maybe an ED sets, but those are a littler harder to just up and come by. Good HD projector sets you have to have the right set-up in your room for and are a lot pricier.

Not everyone can get just up and get a NEC 1080i CRT projector with electromagnetic focusing that also puts out nice scanlines in every resolution... just sayin.

Youll probably find some of the WEGA sets are electro-magnetic focusing too ;) Quite a few high end CRTs are.

Anyone can have what they want, as long as they are prepared to work for it!! I sure didnt get all mine by sittin here playing video games!! :lolz:

OldTony

New Challenger
I've an AES (US version) and a MVS 1FZ, both connected to Panasonic Plasma tv with RGB cable. AES works perfect except for a bit left shift on screen. MVS on same tv was working bad, RGB signal is too high and overloads tv input, so part of colors was missed. I've solved this issue soldering 3 50 ohm resistors (one for each RGB conductor) between ground and RGB signal. Now MVS works like AES (both them has bit left pic shift).

NEO-GEO man

Probably should be 75 ohm if youre going to do it that way, i put 220 ohm resistors in series with the red green and blue lines.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
AES
Vizio
LCD 32"
Does not work at all

LG
Plasma 42"
Does not work at all

But it worked great on my neighbors rear projection TV... not sure what kind it was though.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Also, using component video with a NeoGeo on a HDTV LCD has a high chance of not working.

I definitely agree with this... and so does this thread. :)

I had an older 50" Sony SXRD 1080p projection set (I forget the model no.) that my CMVS worked with via component out.

However, my new 60" LG Plasma does NOT work via component, and composite is atrocious. I have a smaller 32" Samsung LCD in our bedroom and it does work on that. It's an older set though (4+ yrs). Basically, I'm seeing a lot more issues with newer panels and CMVSs.

That being said, really the best result that I've seen is a 10 yr old 27" Toshiba CRT (4:3) that I have in the garage which has component inputs even though it's not a HDTV. That's the best picture by far of any of my TV's that work. In fact, it rivals my cab's overall PQ.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Loads of flat panels have digital component inputs, which is why they dont work with your analog component signal.

What youre putting out is YPbPr, and those inputs are likely YCbCr, which isnt the same.

Loads of CRTs are HDTVs too, more than 3/4s of digital flat panels out there are NOT HDTVs.