The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Results for a Samsung LE46C530 LCD TV:

Supergun + Neo Geo MVS MV-1FZ
SCART hookup

Everything is working great, no problems to report.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Neo-Geo AES
Apex AT2702 (or similar) 30inch
CRT
Needed to adjust due to overscan, otherwise great.

Sony KV-24FS120 24" HDTV CRT
MV-1F
jrok v4.1 encoder n sync cleaner

Picture quality is fantastic in component, only issue I have is the vertical lines are kinda shaky at first but clears up once you've played for a few minutes. Have not tried it hooked up thru svid or composite

GMFattay

n00b
MVS

Toshiba 15VL63 15" LCD TV via Scart

No problems with Sega ST-V PCB.

Constantly flickering with Neogeo MVS PCB on same setup. Shows clear, bright image for a second then starts flickering with a dull image.

Assuming it is the 59.18 Hz signal, have checked sync ground, tried using a 0.01uf ceramic capacitor on sync and different power supplies.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
A couple of interesting points here:-

MV-1FZ works fine via scart to both my 32" Phillips Ambi Light and 42" Panasonic Viera. The Phillips was manufactured in 2006, the Panasonic in 2009. The Phillips provides an amazing picture even though native is 720p. The Panasonic is 1080p and looks aweful - there's no processing done to the picture like the Phillips does - huge difference between the two.

Additionally the Panasonic doesn't quite display the full width - on multicart games you cannot see cursor on the left, its cut off, you can just see 1 pixel. Other than that it looks OK though but very digital.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Omega CMVS
Two LGs: LG 21FJ8RL-L4 and LG 29FX4BK
CRT

While the color is amazing, even in composite, both TVs suffer from HORRIBLE and very crippling overscaning issues. Even after one access and modifies the service menu, the stuff originally left out of the display ends up having geometryl errors (like shrinking pixels). Very disappointing experience. Will try getting a Wega, I guess.

EDIT: Or do you think an encoder might do the trick?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The component encoder inside the Omega was designed by shadowkn55 but the S-video/Composite encoder in the Omega is the same as in the Neo Geo AES, the CXA1145 so I don't know if anything can be done to fix it.

Are you playing in widescreen or 4:3?

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
The component encoder inside the Omega was designed by shadowkn55 but the S-video/Composite encoder in the Omega is the same as in the Neo Geo AES, the CXA1145 so I don't know if anything can be done to fix it.

Are you playing in widescreen or 4:3?

4:3 , I think. Have a couple of pictures and videos:

Without the "service mode" messing around:

DDqymxc.jpg

After the service mode (where width and height were modified so it could show the whole damn thing):

4hc7C5C.jpg

Video 1:

Video 2:

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
that's a strange issue you got there... you might be able to work around it by using an external scaler which will feed you screen the input signal it wants... the XRGB-3 or GBS-8200 spring to mind.

//EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked that both your TVs are CRT, don't have other tips for you then to try other displays.

Last edited:

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
UPDATE: So, convinced my LG was no good and couldn't be repaired, I went out CRT hunting once again. I spotted a Samsung CL-29K5MQ flatscreen CRT. I mean, Samsungs are usually good, no? So I plug it in...

And this is the fucking thing I get via component:

2013-11-17-032[1].jpg

I swear of god, I'm the unluckiest fuck when it comes to CRTs. I have gone trough 4 already, and all of them are fucked one way or another.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure the switch on the back is on component and not RGB.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Make sure the switch on the back is on component and not RGB.

Well ok, I'm an idiot apparently. Now the only problem is that I'm stuck with overscaning issues just like the ones of my first picture.

Time to look for a service manual, I guess

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well ok, I'm an idiot apparently. Now the only problem is that I'm stuck with overscaning issues just like the ones of my first picture.

Time to look for a service manual, I guess

Nah, a lot of people do that.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
UPDATE: Same thing as the LG, the pixels shrink. HOWEVER, it is far less noticeable.

Been toying around with the service menu, can't find a way to get rid of that.

Anybody has a clue?

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
UPDATE: Got a Sony Triniton. A 29FV300.

Not only does it also has overscaling issues like all the others -in both composite and component- but also a weird sound glitch that basically equals to it not coming out as it is supposed to, instead coming out as a garbled mess.

I swear, how can I man get so unlucky he gets 4 CRTs and ALL OF THEM have the same fucking problem?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Omega CMVS w/virtual memory card
30" Loewe Aventos flat tube HD CRT
Running on component video

And it runs quite well. :)

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Fantastic! Very informative thread. Nothing beats an 'ole electron gun!

G

greeneye8181

I have a question. I have a AES and I'm aware CRT is the way to go but what if I wanted to use a newer tech flat screen? Would a modded AES with s-video and RGB upgrade make it compatible?
I need to get a TV for it because it looks like sh*t on my Samsung FPT5894W. It's actually a wireless TV...

Anyway, I can get a CRT no problem (was thinking about a Sony Trinitron) but they are so heavy.
Thanks

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Depends on whether or not that flat screen supports s-video and/or RGB. If you have a home console with RGB out, you can use converters/scalers and perhaps a SLG to make it work via VGA or HDMI.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
Supergun + MVS MV-1F
Samsung DW15G10VD CRT
Connected via SCART
A little overscan but rather good image quality.

Just for the info, an Amiga 1200 plugged via SCART shows the same overscan problems too. But as I´ve said, there are no relevant ones.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Neo Geo AES ( Component, S-Video, and Composite video mods by Xian Xi)
VIZIO E220VA 22 Inch Class Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV (2012 model)
Connected via Component and by setting the view screen to 4:3

Everything is bright, colorful, and crisp.

Special shout out to Xian Xi for the professional work with fast turn around time!

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
Supergun + MVS MV-1F and MV-2F
Sony Trinitron KV-X2583E CRT
Connected via SCART

Amazing RGB video quality. Colorful, crisp and vibrant.

OldTony

New Challenger
Neo Geo MVS MV-1FZ consolized and NEO GEO AES working perfect on Panasonic TX-P50GT60 with RGB Scart connection.

DeusVult

Another Striker
plasma picture

I tried my aes and mvs on my 50 panasonic plasma and its terrible, but I have a 42 Panasonic plasma panel th-42pwd6 which only has a vga in, using a js technology rgb to vga box the picture looks good for a 42 screen, also tried it on a 37 lcd and it didn't work, the only difference between the 3 tvs is that the panel is not a full hd tv which is why is works...I think

photos are not the greatest

Attachments

• nam1.jpg
    nam1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 91
  • ss21.jpg
    ss21.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ss22.jpg
    ss22.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 94

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
AES rev 3-3
Sony KDL 32ex710
LCD
No picture problem.

AES first gen
Sony KDL 32ex710
LCD
Screen is rolling/jumping for a sec when screen flashes white. This happens when using shotgun in Metal Slug and KO in Samurai Shodown.