LCD tv or monitor for TATE?

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I am planning on getting a Japanese 360 for shmups and have been looking into the option of picking up a new lcd tv and a stand that will allow me to rotate the tv for tate mode. I have a couple of questions I wanted to see if anyone could help me with. My first question is should I get an lcd tv or an lcd computer monitor? I was wondering if I would be able to hook up older gaming systems like my PS2 and Dreamcast to the lcd for the shmups I own on those systems, or would the lcd tv cause problems with stretching for these systems in tate mode? If this is the case then I would simply get a lcd computer monitor for cheaper. Also, will the rotating stands for flipping a monitor into tate mode work with an lcd tv? I am looking into getting a 24-27 in. lcd strictly for gaming. Thanks for any help!!!:buttrock:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172908&highlight=fan-tate-stic

Since then, I've upgraded my desk mounting arm to support a larger monitor (up to 30 lbs) and picked up a 28" pc monitor. The desk mounting arms I've picked up look something like this:

d4b7_1.JPG

Here's a typical ebay search for them:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=lc...270.l1313&_odkw=lcd+mount+arm+pivot&_osacat=0

You have to make sure of the following:

1. the stand and your monitor have the standard VESA mount supported
2. the mount can support the weight of your monitor
3. the mount is high enough so that your monitor won't hit the desk in its vertical orientation

Can't recommend this type of setup enough for an easy, clean lcd style tate setup (yes I still prefer CRT, got that setup elsewhere in the house and a vert candy cab). To make switching between games and screen sizes even easier, I got a 46" flat panel next to my pc monitor in the computer room. Various consoles all hooked into a DVDO VP50 video processor outputting to 1 hdmi cable. That cable is then fed into a POWERED hdmi splitter. One output goes to the TV and the other output goes to the tate-able monitor. So no matter what system, can play on a "large" hori screen (or rock the dual screens) or play on a vert screen all the while having good quality de-interlacing and rescaling of older non hd video game consoles (like import ps2 or saturn shmups) via a dedicated video processor.

I've been searching for a rotating mount for a flatpanel TV so that I can go bigger (42-50") but haven't found one. Best I could find is this permanent vertical position stand:

http://www.displays2go.com/product.tvstand.asp?ID=11645

AV72LGV.7.jpg

Looks pretty nice, but I believe they're currently out of stock. Next I would have to figure out where to put it. :lolz: ... too. much. stuff.

Last edited:

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for all the info. The picture of your set up with Ikaruga is what got me thinking about this type of set up. I have an old 32 inch CRT tv that I still use as my regular tv for my older consoles. I wanted to come up with a dedicated set up for both an american and japanese 360. I then began thinking, why not try and get my ps2 and dreamcast hooked up for those shmups? If I went with a 24-27 in. lcd tv, would a game like under defeat on the dreamcast look good through an S-video hook up? I would love to get a DVDO but they are def. out of my current price range. Again, thanks for all the help!

T

tsuj

As for the television, I suggest that you take a look at LCD TV ratings. You might find the expert reviews helpful in your search for a new lcd tv.

Good luck.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for the link for the reviews. I am leaning towards an lcd tv by either Samsung or Toshiba. My last question would be:

What lcd tv would you recommend for playing PS2, Dreamcast, and Saturn Shmups?

I am looking for a not too expensive convenient set up for my console arcade games. I need something to run Saturn shmups like Donpachi and Parodius to 360 games like SFIV and Death Smiles.

Is trying to find an lcd tv to display a decent Saturn image (through S-Video) asking too much? Thanks for any more help!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
under defeat will look best running through vga

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Thanks for the link for the reviews. I am leaning towards an lcd tv by either Samsung or Toshiba. My last question would be:

What lcd tv would you recommend for playing PS2, Dreamcast, and Saturn Shmups?

I am looking for a not too expensive convenient set up for my console arcade games. I need something to run Saturn shmups like Donpachi and Parodius to 360 games like SFIV and Death Smiles.

Is trying to find an lcd tv to display a decent Saturn image (through S-Video) asking too much? Thanks for any more help!

Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but s-video quality is going to vary with each console and tv's s-video port (comb filters: 2d, 3d, adaptive). Overall on my flat panel setups, s-video looks pretty bad.

However, I'm working on a deal with a co-worker that has an LCD with an actual SCART input. I'm very, very curious to see how that will look....

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Just finished trying out the Saturn emulator using real Saturn discs. Works great. Excellent picture quality of course. Much better than what'd you get with s-video. The pics below don't do it justice. Got the scanlines going on too on the 28 incher TATE style.

Yeah, yeah I prefer real hardware too. I got all that. It's nice to have options/choices. ;)

More about the emu and system specs, etc at this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196333

sat1.jpg

sat3.jpg

sat2.jpg

Last edited:

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
The Saturn em looks sick. I personally wouldn't feel too guilty using a saturn em with real game disks since I already own a saturn. I am still considering an LCD for HD gaming and trying to find one that can also handle some older systems for shmups. I have a good sized CRT tv but am still leery about tating it because it does not have a good flat square frame on the sides.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Another quick question. Would it make sense to go the route of buying a converter like the xrgb to use with an lcd monitor? Would I be able to run my old gaming systems through the converter to a pc monitor for a better picture and if so, how much better of a picture?

Also, I am thinking of getting a supergun and was wondering if a converter would also work well for hooking the supergun up to an lcd monitor.

If anyone ha any recommended converters and lcd monitors for a good set up, please let me know. Thanks!

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Just FYI, I got a Samsung 940mw lcd tv/monitor today in the mail.

It has standard analog VGA, DVI-D, component, composite, s-video and SCART input. That's right, a US model tv/pc-monitor with an actual SCART input. I hooked up a SNES to it with a SCART cable, looks pretty fantastic. Not as great as a CRT RGB setup, but still pretty impressive.

Sometime this weekend I'll give some other consoles a try via SCART as well. Couple drawbacks:

- only 19 inch diagonal
- 1440x900 native res
- no longer in production

I got mine pretty cheap on ebay used for about 100 bucks + shipping. Some other sellers charge a lot more.

Other Samsung lcds sold in the USA reported with SCART inputs:

samsung 910mp

samsung 930mp

samsung 242mp

I'd like to track down a decent priced 910mp because that one is supposedly non-widscreen, a nicer native res and with some nice features over the 930mp (can't remember at the moment). The 940mw is widescreen HD.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
WISE FWOM YOR GWAVE!!!

I'm looking into doing something similar to the op here, and had some questions. I wanna make an "arcade desk" for modern consoles (ps3, 360, maybe a pc) or a ghetto candy cab kinda like this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/9005866479_87fc127339_o.jpg

Ive got the same ikea desk, and I'm planning on using a desk mounted arm for the lcd, so as with the title should I go monitor or tv? whats a good size? I was thinking around 25" but not sure. I'd also like the arm to be rotateable for shmups, any suggestions?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Make sure the arm rotates the correct way. Modern LCDs usually rotate the opposite of what tate games want. I had to mod my stand to get it to rotate 360 degrees.

I personally would go with a monitor over a TV, because then you can rely on the FPS and PC gaming community to help you find one with low lag. For TVs, there's always displaylag.com

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
An online shop that sold professional presentation stands. Though it's long out of stock now. Had to buy 2 pieces, the stand and the rotating mount for it.

Might be similar items out there, but these particular models are gone. Don't have the link to exact site, it was years ago... but similar to a store like this:

http://www.displays2go.com/C-22250/...sma-Brackets?gclid=CO3dtbDz48gCFcNcfgodJFIEWg

More pics/features of the stand here in this thread. Might even have the model numbers:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?209368-Post-your-tate-setup/page2

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
TLDR...

I just upgraded from a 22" LCD monitor to a 24" LED TV. If you're using the tate-able 3M monitor, 24" is the max size you can rotate. Glad I didn't opt for the 26".

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Im just gonna go ahead and give this thread a bump as I am now in the market for one of these. This is a great resource.