Picked up SS64 WR

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was just wondering...I remember having Buriki one for my hyper a while back and it looked pretty good...SS64 WR is fun and all.... but it looks like a psxish game...very choppy and funky looking...is that normal?

Drifty

Banned
Yep, normal. The Hyper 64 is on the PSXs level. You'll notice the backgrounds aren't full 3D either. I don't think it had the power to do all that. I thought Warriors Rage was the best looking game, fun as hell, just plays a little slow. It's sort of like a 3D samurai 4 IMO.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's choppy make sure it's not overheating. Mine is never choppy.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
SS64 plays faster than SS64 WR. However, I think the second one is more polished. I am annoyed though how the character models seem alot more pixelated in WR though. I always thought it was just my cart, have never seen the game running other than in my own home, so I can't be sure. But the models on FFWA and Buriki are WAAYYYY less pixelated. ???

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think that WR has more speed 'cause you can initiate the crazy combos from SSIV. Both SS64 games look great to me, I don't see the "pixelation" you guys are talking about, but yes the models on B1 and FFWA are way smoother.

Twimfy

n00b
I've not tried any of the other carts but Fatal Fury WA has to be one of the clearest cleanest looking games I have ever seen. Got it running in RGB scart and it's fantastic. If only there was a little more going on and had a few more details in the fore and background.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think if the system was a success we would have seen some awesome games on this hardware. Who knows, maybe we would have had a 3D Slug or maybe even a 3D Windjammers.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
yeah, it definitely went before its time. It seems to handle 2D REAAALLLYYY well too.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I think that WR has more speed 'cause you can initiate the crazy combos from SSIV. Both SS64 games look great to me, I don't see the "pixelation" you guys are talking about, but yes the models on B1 and FFWA are way smoother.

Well, the 2D is in a higher resolution than the 3D. Interesting way of going about things, but it would have been interesting to see how SNK further wrangled more out of the hardware over the years.

Who knows, maybe we would have had a 3D Slug or maybe even a 3D Windjammers.

Well, we did wind up with a 3D Metal Slug on PS2, if you recall. Actually not a bad game, but nothing particularly special about it. Just sort of there.

And I still say the original SS64 has the slickest presentation of any fighting game ever made (with the portraits during kills, DMs, Fatal Flash and sword clashes and all that). As much as I prefer SS64WR, I do wish it had retained that.

Oh, and EG, maybe they mean the way the background goes all pixellated during hits in Warriors Rage.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well, the 2D is in a higher resolution than the 3D. Interesting way of going about things, but it would have been interesting to see how SNK further wrangled more out of the hardware over the years.

And I still say the original SS64 has the slickest presentation of any fighting game ever made (with the portraits during kills, DMs, Fatal Flash and sword clashes and all that). As much as I prefer SS64WR, I do wish it had retained that.

Oh, and EG, maybe they mean the way the background goes all pixellated during hits in Warriors Rage.

I agree, the presentation and atmosphere of SS64 is incredible and the protraits in the middle of the kills is so well done that is a jaw dropping event the first time you experience it. Also I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the 2D being at a higher resolution than the 3D. All 4 games have amazing 2D art in them, probably even edging out the excellent protraits from SSIII.

I think I know what you're talking about, but the thing is that I'm playing my H64 board on a dual rez rgb monitor and perhpas I'm not seeing the pixelation clearly, to me it looks more like a blurring effect to add to the tension of the match.