AES graphic glitches (vertical line syndrome) NOW W/ PICS

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
unibios wont detect a problem with the cart interface for C and S ROMS etc. Probably a bad connection to one of those buses to the cart.

carlos66

n00b
have checked and cleaned the cart slot ,driving me nuts,is there anybody who repairs these old consoles

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I have the same vertical line problem. I have cleaned the cart slot, and cartridge and adjusted the Orange pot. all with no improvement. Has anyone ever really fixed this issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only other thing that could cause the problem is a lifted pin on the pro-B0/B1 or bad trace to it.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Only other thing that could cause the problem is a lifted pin on the pro-B0/B1 or bad trace to it.

Is that something I visually can check for? Im not sure where or what that is though, sorry Im not familiar with the tech stuff. I do already have the cover off the aes (wow, right?)

I appreciate any help with this. I would really like to fix it or get it fixed

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just look at the legs of the chip with a minimum 20x mag glass.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I've been having this same problem for years but only with 2 games: Blue's Journey and Spinmaster. I get weird vertical lines, usually black, to the left of certain sprites. Both carts are squeaky clean and so is my cart slot, but to rule out dirt/oxidation I purchased some Deoxit and cleaned both carts and the cart slot. The problem still persists. I haven't tried opening the console yet, but I'm wondering if a cap replacement is in order. Anyone have thoughts on what's going on here, and do AES's need their caps changed like Duos and others? Are the carts perhaps just fried? I certainly would appreciate any help and info.
Pics below (couldn't get a good pic of BJ)

IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG

I've been having this same problem for years but only with 2 games: Blue's Journey and Spinmaster. I get weird vertical lines, usually black, to the left of certain sprites. Both carts are squeaky clean and so is my cart slot, but to rule out dirt/oxidation I purchased some Deoxit and cleaned both carts and the cart slot. The problem still persists. I haven't tried opening the console yet, but I'm wondering if a cap replacement is in order. Anyone have thoughts on what's going on here, and do AES's need their caps changed like Duos and others? Are the carts perhaps just fried? I certainly would appreciate any help and info.

View attachment 33277
View attachment 33278
View attachment 33279

Hello I am dealing with a similar issue with Samuri Shodown. Black lines associated with sprite boxes. Fixable or the degradation of the cart?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

View attachment 33277
View attachment 33278
View attachment 33279

If it only does it with those two carts, it's most likely a bad contact/trace. Not all games use the same pins on the cart.

ok, here are some photos of what I'm talking about. It's actually hard to capture a still image of this problem because the little dots that create these vertical lines are always flashing, creating a flickering effect. here are some pics:

129_2927.jpg

129_2922.jpg

129_2951.jpg

Crossed Swords has a similar problem but the flashing dots are spread out over enemies when they're in the background. It may be hard to tell from the pic, but they're all over these "gobrins."
129_2961.jpg

So if anyone has any info or advice about this problem, PLEASE let me know.
Again, these glitches are much more annoying than they may look from the pics due to the flickering. :mad:

I have actually noticed something similar to this happening on my Japanese AES system with my working Magician Lord cart. It only happens in two spots though. Once during the intro story scene on the screen with the old man and the main character, where a few random pixels flash or flicker, and once again, though much less noticeable, on the 2nd boss near the center of it. This AES is the later revision with the TK caps and if I remember right just the one trimmer cap near the Sony CX. Is there any other way to fix this on later revision AES systems lacking the other trimmer cap?

EDIT: Oops looks like I read the info wrong on what trimmer people were adjusting. Yeah seems the one near the Sony CX seems to be the one to adjust. Tweaked it some and got the problem with my working Magician Lord minimized to where its just one barely noticeable pixel that seems to flicker off and on on that one scene with the old man and the main character..

Last edited:
This may be of interest for you, my ladies.

Ignore the voltage on my supergun, just look at the voltmeter to the right.

Hope this helps. :D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Run a hardware test on your AES, at the Unibios logo on boot up press B+C+D.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
If it only does it with those two carts, it's most likely a bad contact/trace. Not all games use the same pins on the cart.

Thanks Xian Xi for the response. What's the best way to test and fix a bad trace? Apologies in advance for my extreme technical noobness.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
This may be of interest for you, my ladies.

Ignore the voltage on my supergun, just look at the voltmeter to the right.

Hope this helps. :D
I shared this with someone else who’s having this or a similar problem. Thanks!

For clarity, you have bypassed the power regulation and connected your 5V supergun/arcade PSU directly. Raising the voltage eliminates the problem and lowering the voltage worsens it. It clears up around 5.1v but you continued on to 5.25v.

Was this board having a problem before you did this? If so, what voltage was it registering within the system? It may be that adjusting the trim caps somehow compensates for the difference caused by lower voltage across the rest of the system.

Last edited: