Milan And Los Angeles Galaxy Reach David Beckham Agreement

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Sources in the American media claim that the Rossoneri have struck a deal with the MLS side to keep hold of ‘Becks’ until the end of the Serie A campaign. KCAL-TV, the Los Angeles affiliate of CBS, has announced that David Beckham will remain with Milan for the remainder of the season before returning to the Los Angeles Galaxy in July.

http://goal.com/en/news/11/transfer...-angeles-galaxy-reach-david-beckham-agreement

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
it was bound to happen. I still think Beckham will leave LAG after the 09 season.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Same here. Unless Posh Spice makes him her bitch.

I don't know if anyone would really pick LA over living in Italy with enough money to fly to any major city in Europe within a couple of hours... LA is so limited.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I don't know if anyone would really pick LA over living in Italy with enough money to fly to any major city in Europe within a couple of hours... LA is so limited.

I thought his wife loved LA and was the driving force for him to sign the contract with the Galaxy?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I thought his wife loved LA and was the driving force for him to sign the contract with the Galaxy?

I know she did when the deal was made, but I think a huge consideration for him was money. It was poor decision on a professional level.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I know she did when the deal was made, but I think a huge consideration for him was money. It was poor decision on a professional level.
It was rocky even from the get go if I remember right. I think his first appearance with the Galaxy was in the middle of the season.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the only party that really gives a fuck if Becks stays in the MLS is Adidas.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Beck simply shouldn't play in the MLS. It's fucking retarded because the teams are so lackign in balance and talent that when a player like Becks takes the field, it's easy for the defense to crowd him, and take away his ability to showcase his playmaking abilities.

Then you see him on AC Milan, where he's not the biggest threat on the field. The defense spreads out and he has the room he needs to make things happen. He's in the right place at AC Milan. At Galaxy he's hardly going to help them.

Same situation with Robinho at Manchester City. The team needed to build itself at an organic level. Not to take away from players such as Ireland who do great things, but 1 Robinho on a team is not going to help much, and it's going to be a waste of his talent.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Beck simply shouldn't play in the MLS. It's fucking retarded because the teams are so lackign in balance and talent that when a player like Becks takes the field, it's easy for the defense to crowd him, and take away his ability to showcase his playmaking abilities.

Then you see him on AC Milan, where he's not the biggest threat on the field. The defense spreads out and he has the room he needs to make things happen. He's in the right place at AC Milan. At Galaxy he's hardly going to help them.

Same situation with Robinho at Manchester City. The team needed to build itself at an organic level. Not to take away from players such as Ireland who do great things, but 1 Robinho on a team is not going to help much, and it's going to be a waste of his talent.
That's kinda similar to what's been happening to Josh Childress when he's been playing for Olympiacos basketball club.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
If nothing else, this is proof that contracts in the world of sport can seriously harm an international player and, to some extent, I think it strongly injures MLS's position on the world stage. Think about it: If you were a world class player and you wanted to join North America's premier football league (for travel, for team-building, for money--whatever) and only after the ink was dry did it hit you that, even after a whole season, nothing changed despite your best efforts, would you recommend it to other players?

To no small extent, nobody wants to play on a nobody team. But often times, a nobody team goes out of their way to get a star and his leadership and/or talent turns young buds into skilful supporters, and the team as a whole becomes more attractive to established talents. Think of MLS as a "team" with other groups (English Premiership, German Bundasliga, La Liga, etc.) as other "teams" a player can choose to move-to or not, and one really gets a picture of an owner, GM, and manager combination which is not willing to press the franchise forward.

Beckham, in this case, should be let go. The MLS and L.A. Galaxy are being jerks about him, basically holding him hostage against his will. Granted, he signed the contract and that was dumb. But in the future, when talent either new, old, or retired considers coming to the U.S.A. to help build football's popularity here, they're gonna have to think "Yeah, but remember what happened to Becks?"

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Beckham, in this case, should be let go. The MLS and L.A. Galaxy are being jerks about him, basically holding him hostage against his will. Granted, he signed the contract and that was dumb. But in the future, when talent either new, old, or retired considers coming to the U.S.A. to help build football's popularity here, they're gonna have to think "Yeah, but remember what happened to Becks?"

Is A.C. Milan giving fair market value back for getting Beckham the whole season though?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I completely believe in "pacta sunt servanda", meaning that all contracts must be served. Milan wanted to renegotiate Beckham's contract, and they did. But it would be fucked up if Beckham could just walk right now and leave the LAG high and dry. LAG is making a mint off of him. They didn't even have a good record. Teams that do really well in the MLS sometimes make no money. Thus Becks was a fixture in the budget and planning.

In soccer, you have players that teams invest in early on. The party that benefits the most from a market where players can freely transfer to other teams is the team that gets the player, because they don't have to negotiate with the team. Problem is that the contracts then are as good as toilet paper.Player gets paid, and team prays they don't lose him to a richer team.

If nothing else, this is proof that contracts in the world of sport can seriously harm an international player and, to some extent, I think it strongly injures MLS's position on the world stage. Think about it: If you were a world class player and you wanted to join North America's premier football league (for travel, for team-building, for money--whatever) and only after the ink was dry did it hit you that, even after a whole season, nothing changed despite your best efforts, would you recommend it to other players?

To no small extent, nobody wants to play on a nobody team. But often times, a nobody team goes out of their way to get a star and his leadership and/or talent turns young buds into skilful supporters, and the team as a whole becomes more attractive to established talents. Think of MLS as a "team" with other groups (English Premiership, German Bundasliga, La Liga, etc.) as other "teams" a player can choose to move-to or not, and one really gets a picture of an owner, GM, and manager combination which is not willing to press the franchise forward.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Don't take what I said the wrong way, guys--I'm on the side that says that, yeah, he signed the contract so he has to live with it, but on the other coin, I think it sucks for Beckham big-time. Especially given MLS's pathetic financial situation (and likely, outlook as well) they're in a hole which world class football just doesn't see very often. Sure, if the Italian state went bankrupt and tickets to matches had to be lowered to a single Euro in order to even get impoverished fans into the game, then yeah, it would suck for the talented players there. But the difference is that, despite all this, a guy like Beckham would at least have a "second chance" in the form of the Premier League or the UEFA Cup. He doesn't get that in the U.S.A..

So he's trapped. Back in form (for his age), back in shape, proven that he's still capable of being on the world stage. In that sense, (please accept my hyperbole) L.A. Galaxy's decisions risk hurting the entire English national team and their hopes of needed-improvement in international competitions. Maybe the prime minister or the queen should send them the message--"You're taking a citizen of the crown and ensuring that he plays for your unfocused team instead of proving himself before the entire world. You can't get a couple thousand people to your games whereas he'd have tens of thousands watching him in Europe. You're a disgrace to football and I'm giving you the chance now to either a) prove that you're a football club looking to win matches and not a Beckham jersey selling club; or b) send him elsewhere, take the money, and gain some semblance of honour in your cowboy-borne culture."

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Beckham isn't even a starter on the national team. Any manager would rather put Walcott there, even with a dislocated shoulder. He's only doing this so that he can get the most caps, and overtake a player who actually deserves the honor a lot more than him (Shilton).

Don't take what I said the wrong way, guys--I'm on the side that says that, yeah, he signed the contract so he has to live with it, but on the other coin, I think it sucks for Beckham big-time. Especially given MLS's pathetic financial situation (and likely, outlook as well) they're in a hole which world class football just doesn't see very often. Sure, if the Italian state went bankrupt and tickets to matches had to be lowered to a single Euro in order to even get impoverished fans into the game, then yeah, it would suck for the talented players there. But the difference is that, despite all this, a guy like Beckham would at least have a "second chance" in the form of the Premier League or the UEFA Cup. He doesn't get that in the U.S.A..

So he's trapped. Back in form (for his age), back in shape, proven that he's still capable of being on the world stage. In that sense, (please accept my hyperbole) L.A. Galaxy's decisions risk hurting the entire English national team and their hopes of needed-improvement in international competitions. Maybe the prime minister or the queen should send them the message--"You're taking a citizen of the crown and ensuring that he plays for your unfocused team instead of proving himself before the entire world. You can't get a couple thousand people to your games whereas he'd have tens of thousands watching him in Europe. You're a disgrace to football and I'm giving you the chance now to either a) prove that you're a football club looking to win matches and not a Beckham jersey selling club; or b) send him elsewhere, take the money, and gain some semblance of honour in your cowboy-borne culture."

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Beckham says he's still committed to MLS

David Beckham says he's "very committed" to Major League Soccer despite the deal which loans him to Milan for part of the 2009 season, but admits that he might be booed when he returns to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy in July.

"I'm sure I'll have criticism and I understand that but I want my fans to realize I'm still committed to the Galaxy," Beckham said in an interview with ESPN's Hannah Storm on Wednesday. "I am still committed to the MLS and being an ambassador. But like I said, there will be criticism."

He added: "I can only make my turnaround by the way I perform on the pitch and my commitment to the team and I'll show that when I get back [to the Galaxy]," Beckham said. "We'll have to wait and see the first time I play at the Home Depot [Center, home of the Galaxy] and see how that goes."

Beckham speaks

David Beckham sat down with ESPN's Hannah Storm to talk about his return to Los Angeles and his plans for the World Cup and beyond.

Beckham said in the "SportsCenter" interview that he'll return to the Galaxy for a July 18 game in New York. He'll play in Milan until June, then take a four-week vacation, he said. He reiterated that he felt he needed a higher level of competition in Europe to prepare for the 2010 World Cup, where he plans to play for England.

Storm asked Beckham what that says about the level of play in the United States.

"It says it's not a level at the moment that's the same as in Europe," Beckham said. "But that's one of the reasons I want to be involved in the MLS going forward because I believe it will get bigger. I wouldn't have committed myself to the Galaxy and as an MLS ambassador if I didn't believe the sport wouldn't grow. And I've always said it's not going to take a year or two. It's going to take five, 10 or 15 years. And I'm still committed to that."

Beckham said that he will play for England in World Cup qualifiers if the matches conflict with Galaxy games, but that he ultimately plans to settle in America.

"My family's happy there," he said. "My wife is happy there, my children are settled in at school, and it's one of the sacrifices we've had to make as a family. My wife's been very supportive of my career and until it ends, but as family -- husband and wife, father and mother to three boys -- we need to do what's best for our children and our children are settled there."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=626929&cc=5901

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Beckham isn't even a starter on the national team. Any manager would rather put Walcott there, even with a dislocated shoulder. He's only doing this so that he can get the most caps, and overtake a player who actually deserves the honor a lot more than him (Shilton).

Walcott is hardly anything special. He'll go the same way as Aaron Lennon and Jermaine Pennant its just a matter of time.

Shaun Wright Phillips is great in my opinion, I think the right flank should be divided between him and Beckham.
None of those guys can pass a ball like Beckham or score from free kicks like him.
Whether you like it or dont like it learn to live with it, Beckham will be going to 2010 finals as a 35 year old pinch hitter

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Walcott is hardly anything special. He'll go the same way as Aaron Lennon and Jermaine Pennant its just a matter of time.

Shaun Wright Phillips is great in my opinion, I think the right flank should be divided between him and Beckham.
None of those guys can pass a ball like Beckham or score from free kicks like him.
Whether you like it or dont like it learn to live with it, Beckham will be going to 2010 finals as a 35 year old pinch hitter

That's a nasty accusation. Pennant cannot read or write. Give Walcott some respect.

I don't mind if Beckham plays, and I am often the one defending him because of his beautiful passing and the fact he still shines on the otherwise underachieving NT. But let's be honest about his intentions here - they are anything but honorable. They are selfish and vain, at best.